So- 8800gt vs NEW 8800gts-

Laz.e.rus

Is the NEW 8800gts out and here? Hows the price/performance vs the 8800gt? I see the gt is now banging against $300 USD pretty hard. Was hoping the gts would push it down a little.

Will it push it down eventually? What is the current or expected price on the NEW gts? Worth it?

I might be getting one for xmas.....g/f is asking me a lot of funny questions about these new vid cards...Id like to have some solid info for her.

Still running my Opty165 at 2.75ish. W/ 2 gigs ram. I dont have any need/interest to go vista/X10 for a little while yet. Prolly after I get to Mich.

Looked like the GTS was on par (ish) with the GTX. So if it's under 550 then I'd say it's better bang/buck than GTX. If it's over 400, it's pushing it for being bang/buck compared to a $300 GT. Just my take on it though.

Edit: unless you game at 1920x1200 - then the GTS will kick the GT's butt, since it was keeping up with the GTX at 1920x1200.

Edited by DarkArchon

Oh I shoudve added: I dont play that high. My lcd is my main monitor and is at 1280x1024. I have a 16x12 crt as the secondary. I might swith them around for some real prettiness at some time, but no biggy.

Im sure Ill upgrade that next summer, but its fine for now

what if he's planning on buying a new monitor next summer though? Not everyone can buy a new vid card every year!

Yeah, the GTS would be overkill for that monitor right now, but if it will give him some more mileage down the road if he buys a new monitor next summer, then I would think that would be a smarter way to go. Not sure what the rest of you think, but thats just my opinion. If he knew 1280 was going to be the res he was going to use for the next couple of years, then by all means go cheaper if you can!

The card should be out next week. NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512MB G92 Tested. Performance wise the 8800GTS 512MB & 8800GT 512MB are really close. For me the edge is to the 8800GTS for less noise & better thermals because it is a dual slot card.

The 8800GTS 512MB was slated to sell for $50 - $100 more than 8800GT's suggested retail price. However, the 8800GT is still selling from about $50-$100 more than it "should". If the 8800GTS 512MB drops with enough supply to not cause the price to ramp up then it looks like the definite choice. But that all depends on if the suggested price stays the same.

If considering an ATI 3870, you may want to look at the 8800GT 256MB. It keeps up with the 3870 in most benchmarks with rez's upto 1280 and it should come in cheaper than the $250 3870.

BTW, all you high resolution guys (30" lcds and up) may want to take a look at the Asus 8800GT 1GB.

what if he's planning on buying a new monitor next summer though? Not everyone can buy a new vid card every year!

Yeah, the GTS would be overkill for that monitor right now, but if it will give him some more mileage down the road if he buys a new monitor next summer, then I would think that would be a smarter way to go. Not sure what the rest of you think, but thats just my opinion. If he knew 1280 was going to be the res he was going to use for the next couple of years, then by all means go cheaper if you can!

i got an answer for you there as well. the gts is gonna be roughly twice the price of the 3870. when he buys a new monitor next summer he should be able to get a second 3870 with the money saved by not getting the gts now. crossfire 3870 is roughly equal to a gtx now and on paper should be faster so with the better driver support that will exist next summer on paper it's a no brainer. the gts is expected to perform around the gtx and ultra though will still be limited in those high res games by it's lack of memory.

hwarrior, buying a 256mb card right now unless on a really tight budget is definitely not a smart move. ya, it should be ok at 1280 res but as soon as he upgrades monitor his card will be useless.

Hm. Lots of good points here.

In "theory" Ill be getting a bigger better monitor next summer. Of course, in "theory", Im also hoping to go quad Intel next summer. *shrug*

But, with a bigger badder card, I may not have to upgrade this system for a while yet. It may be "old" to those of us that pay attention to this stuff and tweak out on the biggest-best, but in reality its still better than what 95% of people are gonna be gaming on.

I should have noted I always run 2 monitors. Otherwise I may have just gone REALLY cheap and jsut grabbed a 2nd 7900gt for sli.

Question: when sli'ing...it only counts as 2 gpus, NOT 2x the ram right ? ie: 2x256MB cards is NOT 512 of usable vid ram is it?

IF it is, then an 8800gt soon, then another a little down the road would leave me with 1gb of vid ram with decent gpu power in the end, with a "system" thats just starting to slack as far as the cpu end.

Hm..think I might run 3dm05 and 06 again just to see where Im at right now since Ive clocked down the cpu ( and thereby tightened the ram timings).

2 gpus with 256mb ram technically does mean you have 512mb vid ram but each card only has 256mb usable and the way sli works it's like using 2 cards to do one cards work therefore you'd be limited by ram still.

2 512mb cards will still have a 512mb frame buffer limit basically. so you'd have more power to push the high res but not the ram to take you there. it sucks i know but it's the way the technology works.

if you think about it logically it makes sense.

i'm trying to think of a better way to explain it.

reran 05 while my 7900 was at stock speeds:cpu at 2.745

cpu:7756

Instead of re-running 06 I grabbed my old scores from 2.7Ghz ( Im at 2.745 now)-think this was non-OCd vid card too.

3dmark06: 5027

sm2.0 : 2011

Proxy: 16.179

Firefly: 17.343

hdr/sm3 : 2001

canyon : 17.901

deepFreeze: 22.121

cpu: 2038

cpu1: .644

cpu2: 1.032

-------------------------------------

Nothing to write home about nowadays...but I can boost the vid a LOT (not counting if I get the 8800gt), and I have another .2Ghz to boost on cpu if I need it.

------------------

I think I see what youre saying cujo.... it has 512, but can only "think" in terms of 256.

As far as actual gameplay lets face it: a really smooth running 1600x1200 with all the candy looks REALLY good. Going up to 1900x??? and that kind of thing really is overkill as far as "playing" the game. Even 1280x1024 looks decent with all the effects on.

Im thinking a 8800gt for now, then possibly a 2nd when I upgrade my lcd next year will keep this system usable (on the high end) for a while yet.

I havent got crysis yet, but I jsut played TimeShift at 1280x1024. I didnt do any fraps benches, but I had all the goodies up except one setting at medium (one of the shadows I think) and was very playable.

The 8800gt should keep me ok for a while, and the cpu will hold out until these games get even more crazy with the "everything in the world can break" effects.....at least thats what Im banking on. Of course, its all hot air till I try out crysis or something equally crazy.

Im running 2 8800gt 512's that cost a little more than a single gtx and they run Crysis like an ape on fire. There getting cheaper as we get closer to christmas. Managed to get mine at a good price. BFG is selling the 8800gt 512 OC at around $300. Friends running Doom 3 at ultra settings and HL2 maxed all the time with no probs. :smillie_smilling:

http://www.techarp.com/showarticle.aspx?artno=479

http://www.guru3d.com/news.html#6206

Only these review and the one Cujo posted a couple of threads ago so far...

Hmmmm...

What I see is that there isn't a significant advantage to GTS over the GT...

for almost $100 more...

Naw.

Edited by Tek-Almighty