Any gun enthusiast / experts here?

Mossad

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a great deal last year on .45 ammo and bought over 1000 rounds from cabellas so I'm set for a while. I did go by there today and they were completely out of regular .380 and .40 cal ammo. I asked and sure enough there is a nation wide shortage. They did have some .380+p ammo but it's $30 a box or 25 rounds.

Nice All Killer.

Here's a couple of shots with the Wilson Combat Drop in Grip Safety and Pachymar Wrap-Around Grips.

BTW Laz, I sent my NA in last Friday and got it back this past Thursday. Less than a week turn around time for the recall.

newgrip2.jpg

newgrip1.jpg

Lunk, is that an extended clip? I was under the impression that the stock clips were 6+1, but 7+1 worked fine. What is that Wilson at?

Actually, the stock clips are 7+1. And that is one of Wilson Combat's Clips. It is also a 7+1. It just has an extended lip on it. Which I'm finding quite comfortable for my little finger to rest against. Went to the range yesterday and ran 150 rounds through it. That new Grip Safety makes it much more comfortable to shoot.

The first clip in this list is the one I ordered.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_magazines_compact.asp

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bringin it back from the dead !

Got a new conceal carry piece. It's a Taurus Mill Pro 9mm. Has thumb safety which i realy like, and second strike trigger which is huge. Brand new gun, 2 clips, hard case walked out for $350. So far it doesn't have a single round through it but a friend has the exact same gun and i loved it and the size so i picked one up to replace the .40 S&W for everyday carry.

9mm097.jpg

Tek i was looking at a Mossberg pistol grip 12g almost just liek that the other day but i didn't wanna pay that much for it lol. That is an awesome gun you have though, looks sweet.

• 3 months later...

For you XD owners out there I just found this and thought it was cool as crap.

I bought a new CC piece that I pick up tomorrow. It's the High Point C9 9mm. I've been reading about them for years and had a buddy tell me that they are excellent, plus they retail for $150 so I decided to give it a go. I'll post up pics and results in a week or so :D

Edited by Preacher

For you XD owners out there I just found this and thought it was cool as crap.

I bought a new CC piece that I pick up tomorrow. It's the High Point C9 9mm. I've been reading about them for years and had a buddy tell me that they are excellent, plus they retail for $150 so I decided to give it a go. I'll post up pics and results in a week or so :D

Interesting concept... ugly as sin imo, but interesting. The only "integrated" laser solutions I've seen are of the grip and guide rod variety.

Nice Benelli up there, btw. I'm hoping to pick up a shotgun some time this year. Thinking about a Mossburg 500 though. I still really want a 1911, but I would have a hard time justifying the money to the wife when I already have three handguns (one of which being a .45). Oh well :shrug03:

Yeah, I like the guide rod sights the most - it preserves the factory look the most IMO.

I've been eyeballing an XD 45 for quite awhile now. Might pick one up after the tax refund check comes in. How are the current XD owners liking their handguns? Any jams? Slide bites? Problems field stripping?

I've been eyeballing an XD 45 for quite awhile now. Might pick one up after the tax refund check comes in. How are the current XD owners liking their handguns? Any jams? Slide bites? Problems field stripping?

Wife has a 9 sc and I have the 45c. No FTF's, FTE's ect. I say for the price there is not a better deal.

As mentioned above, I have an XDm in 9mm and an XD45 compact. I carry the compact nearly every day and have had ZERO problems with it whatsoever. It has gone through several different brands of defense loads as well as any FMJ round I've tried with no FTF, FTE's etc. I currently carry HST's in it, but have also shot the cheapy winchester white box HPs as well as golden sabres. Easy to break down and clean. The trigger isn't the greatest straight out of the box (my XDm had a better trigger from the get-go) but it smooths out with use. Unless you've got some crazy grip I haven't seen before, you won't get bitten by it. Recoil on the 4" compact is very manageable.

Not sure if you are looking at the service model or not, but you may want to consider a compact if you're looking to carry it. It comes with the short 10rd mag and full size 13rd mag with grip extension. I can easily conceal it with the extended mag in the winter time, but during the summer I switch out to the shorter mag and can conceal it with just a loose fitting t-shirt and shorts.

I very highly recommend the XD45.

I'm glad you brought up the compact talk. I was looking at the 5" tactical model, since it would only see range use. I like the extra inch for accuracy, plus I have larger hands (large enough to palm a basketball). Have you compared its accuracy to 5" barrel handguns? How does it stack up to them?

Another thing on size...

Conceal and carry permits are mighty hard to get here in IL. I just looked it up to see if anything changed, and apparently the legislation *did* change a bit. Kind of an interesting read:

http://www.concealcarry.org/illinois-carry/

I don't think carrying an unloaded firearm in a fannypack with a couple of loaded magazines would fly. What do you guys think? Would you try something like that?

According to my friend who is a police officer in Springfield, IL. A weapon can be carried in an unloaded "hard container". A hard plastic case would suffice. I lockable soft container is also rarely ticketed. I live just across the line from IL and have been warned twice by firearms instructors that you do not ever want to get caught with a concealed carry weapon in IL because the judges are using it as a soap box and are hitting people with the harshest available fines/sentences.

IL and Wisconsin are both terrible when it comes to firearm rights for honest citizens.

I'm glad you brought up the compact talk. I was looking at the 5" tactical model, since it would only see range use. I like the extra inch for accuracy, plus I have larger hands (large enough to palm a basketball). Have you compared its accuracy to 5" barrel handguns? How does it stack up to them?

Another thing on size...

Conceal and carry permits are mighty hard to get here in IL. I just looked it up to see if anything changed, and apparently the legislation *did* change a bit. Kind of an interesting read:

http://www.concealcarry.org/illinois-carry/

I don't think carrying an unloaded firearm in a fannypack with a couple of loaded magazines would fly. What do you guys think? Would you try something like that?

I have not compared to a 5" barrel, the closest I've gotten is the 4.5" barrel on my XDm. Different calibers though. If it's just going to be for range/nightstand duty, then might as well go for the tactical. My 4" compact is definitely accurate enough, but I don't think anyone would argue that it has the ability to be more accurate than a 5" slide.

I also forgot you live in IL - forget the carry stuff I said then. I wouldn't hold my breath for an actual change to the laws to let you carry, unfortunately.

Yeah, don't get me started about IL's gun control laws. Handguns are illegal in Chicago, but the murder rates are what, the second highest in the nation? So that's working. :glare: And why outlaw suppressors when they're legal in other states like CA?

Preacher - I totally agree with you and your cop buddy. That article seems like it was written by a teenager trying to snake around the rules. You're carrying an operating firearm in public, and it's not like you're transporting it for range use or sale.

It helps if you go next door and get me a Springfield 1911 and then ship it to me free via UPS lol

I got my C-9. Hi-points are not pretty but for $150 new I can't say anything about then that's negative. I'll shoot it this weekend and let everyone know how it fares. I'll also post up a few pics.

• 3 months later...
(edited)

decent deal

I never got back here with my report on my hi-point C9. It is a great shooting little gun. I dropped about 200 rounds through it at the range with zero issues and better than average accuracy for a 9mm this size. Also to note, I have large hands and this one didn't pinch my hand and was comfortable to shoot.

Overall:

Good-

Insane price (cheap)

Reliable

accurate

compact (for CC)

doesn't pinch

bad:

heavy

wasn't completely free lol

Edited by Preacher