Water cooling my system

Nick Soapdish

on my recent build i've flirted with the idea of water cooling my system. the question is is it worth it?

my computer is in my bedroom and i would like to make it much quieter, it's quite loud right now. i know i need to step up the cooling, im just using stock stuff right now. so do i get a new heatsink and set of fans, or do i spend maybe $100 and get water cooling?

can i get some info from the build gurus? anyone water-cooling out there? i do at some point have aspirations of oc'in it.

furthermore, could anyone suggest what cooling kit/set to get?

my build:

SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750

Rosewill RX850-D-B ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91 850W Power Supply

LIAN LI PC-60BPLUSII W Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DQ6 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-2GBHK

from what I've heard other guys say, it's really not worth the cost and the headache. The Core 2's are champion overclockers, and run cool on stock fans anyway. My suggestion would be to stick with air and just buy a quieter fan. You may want to replace the case fans as well if you want more noise reduction, as the stock ones generally aren't the quietest. Your case also plays a role in it too, although I'm not familiar with yours so I don't know about it's sound deadening qualities. I had an Antec P180 case that was great and VERY quiet. I would have barely been able to hear it if I had put a nicer aftermarket cooler on it.

Edited by boilersax

I have a Zalman 9700 CPU cooler, does a good job and is quiet, as far as case fans...i'd love to know as well. I have an Antec nine hundred case and the fans in it arent all that quiet....although the big 200mm fan in the top isnt nearly as loud as I would have thought, add the 120mm's in there and it get's kinda loud. I did have just the CPU cooler going by itself at one point, and it is virtually noiseless.

i have a tt silent cat.. i just got the attachment and put it on my volc 9 heatsink..

its quiet and my comp runs really cool... i also have 2 fans in the back that i have speed control on... i have them at pretty low... but when i crank those there VERY loud... (so i never crank em)

i was surprised how much better this fan cooled my cpu then the crappy tt volc 9. and its soooo much quieter.

My brother has a Big Typhoon ... its quiet and gets the job done as well..