Looking for Suggestions for External HD for basic file backups

Ice_Berge_00

I bought this one from Fry's http://shop1.outpost.com/product/5424589;j...CH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Great external HD and Fast. I picked mine up for around 110.00 bucks. They seem to have gone up in price, weird. I like it because of the Firewire, but there is a USB 2.0 booster on it. I haven't used it but it says that it makes the usb connection faster.

I am sure there are other places to pick it up from for a cheaper price.

btw, here is the thread I started about backup HD's http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...showtopic=34971

• 2 months later...

Hi. Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I needed some advice on the same subject.

I've been thinking about backing up the stuff on my desktop's hard drive, but I don't know what kind of backup external HD to get. I've looked up brands like Western Digital, but I keep reading negative reviews that say the external HDs like MyBook die after warranty (1 year). I'm leaning toward Seagate FreeAgent Pro, but they seem to have the same problem with drives that don't work, although their 5-year warranty at least guarantees a replacement. I've looked at other brands like LaCie and Apricorn, but those do not seem to have as many reviews for me to look at, so I don't know how reliable they are.

I don't really need a huge HD like a 750GB-1TB since my HD is only 250GB, and not even all of that is being used. I'll probably concentrate on moving important text files and maybe some pictures and movies; not all of it is terribly important, but I'd prefer not to lose my stuff if I can help it. I'd prefer not to spend over $300.

Some people suggested in another thread to buy another internal HD instead, but I'm not really tech savvy, so I don't know how much "safer" it would be to get one and install it instead of using an external one.

Anyone got any other ideas? :huh: Thanks for any help.

i'm a big fan of network drives. the dlink dns 323 and two drives of your choice in raid1 is what i'd get. btw, the unit is also usb 2.0 if you don't want to use it for network.