Overclocking me e6750

Nick Soapdish

i'm going to be running some CAD, CFD, and FEA simulations that will take days on my computer. i want to overclock the cpu to see if i can get a few saved hours out of it, and to generally test the system.

has anyone here oc'ed a C2D E6750? or for that matter, what's a good oc'ing guide?

rig:

C2D E6750

Gigabyte GA-P35-DQ6

2Gb OCZ DDR2 800 PC6400 4-4-3-5

GF 8800 GTX

stock fan on cpu

I have the e6600...

Alls you haves to dos is bump up your fsb so that you have a new clock of 3.0, after you unlink (if it's linked) your ram from 1:1. I'm at ~3.2 with one bump up from stock voltage, whatever that is (been a while).

So I set mine to 1420 (that is, 1420/4=355, 355*9=3200mhz) to get 3.2ghz. You might need to bump up your voltage at 3.0, but I highly doubt you need to below 3.

when I had my gaming computer with the e6600, I ran it at 3.0 GHz with the stock cooler without any voltage changes. It ran very stable as long as I had it there. I think Cujo has mentioned several times that the Core 2's can hit 3GHz without breaking a sweat and without voltage changes. Your 6750 should be able to easily do the same, although I'm not sure you'll notice a huge difference in speed between what you have now and 3.0 GHz. The stock fan should still be fine since the chips run cool anyway, but you might need to up the voltage a little if you want to go past 3.2 GHz.

I have the E6750. I haven't bothered to look into OC'ing it though as I've kind of gotten out of that scene since my Koolance water cooled case finally died. For me, all I would do is slowly bump the FSB up, usually by 5 each time, until the system fails to boot. Then I would drop it back down from 5 and increment it by one until I find it's highest stable setting. I've never tinkered with the voltages though and I don't suggest you do it your first time on a system that you might be upset if you blow the mobo/cpu on it.