The Big Bang Theory

This came out of the Evolution thread.

One of the arguments I've heard against the big bang theory is probability - "there's no way this all happened by chance".

I'd argue that it's not reasonable to argue probability against something that may or may not have happened in the past. Here's an example:

Take a standard 52 card deck, and shuffle it a few times. Then draw out the cards. Drawing them in that exact order is 1 in 52! (factorial), or 1 in 8.05^67. If that number isn't high enough for you, keep shuffling and drawing cards until you're convinced that the odds of drawing that series of cards is impossible. And yet... it happened. :)

I think discussing the Big Bang Theory in this forum is 100% pointless. It's not something that can be proven or disproven, nor is it actually religious in any way shape or form.

Anyway, your card deck example is flawed. What the person drawing the cards would actually believe to be impossible is the odds of drawing that series of cards again. They have the benefit of having been there for the origin of the Drawing 52 Cards In This Order Theory.

I think discussing the Big Bang Theory in this forum is 100% pointless. It's not something that can be proven or disproven, nor is it actually religious in any way shape or form.

Anyway, your card deck example is flawed. What the person drawing the cards would actually believe to be impossible is the odds of drawing that series of cards again. They have the benefit of having been there for the origin of the Drawing 52 Cards In This Order Theory.

It was brought up in the other thread, so we can let it whimper and die in this thread if it happens. :P

You brought up two very interesting points here, too. First off, they have the benefit of being there in the beginning? That's inconsequential. Someone else can draw the cards and just show you the order... doesn't change a thing.

Secondly, we can't use my card deck analogy because we'd have to draw that same order again, right? I guess we can't use the probability analogy to show existence will happen this way again either, for the same reason. You just helped me prove my point. :)

I'm more an expert at CSS than this, and I've played 2 times, but from what I remember, doesn't the initial bang involve some sort of spinning? And isn't one of the planets spinning in the opposite direction, which breaks at least that part of the theory?

I really don't pay attention to these theories to be honest :)

I'm a little more of a CSS expert than you (I played for about 3 weeks when the zombie mod was around), and might have the equivalent little extra bit of science knowledge.

Are you thinking of the redshift theory?

Planets existed before the big bang??

Someone hasn't been paying attention :P

Please READ

What about before the big bang? Have there been Big Bangs before this one? I just read Stephen Hawkings - A brief moment in Time, not to long ago..

There are parts of space that the gravitational force is so strong that light cannot even escape. We have an extremely limited amount of knowledge about the universe. There are tons of things to be discovered. Did the big bang happen? Sure, but was that the beginning?

Something Big happened 13.7 Billion years ago, Earth is only about 4.6 Billion years old.

Before the big bang their was the, primordial atom.

Distribution of matter in the universe, evidence for the big bang, Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe.

After the big bang, (the end of everything New Theory); The Big Rip.

I am in no way an expert on these things but I do find them interesting.

Enjoy! :D

Edited by Sgt. Slaughterâ„¢-TopBrass