i think it's a sign..... i'm done

selfcontr0l

i blew up one Antec 430W power supply... RMA'd it. meanwhile I had bought a new computer from a guy off of craigslist... came with an Antec 500W xconnect or whatever.... that one died on me last year sometime... so I popped the one they sent back from the previous RMA into my newer computer, and it ran good...for a while then I blew that one up. so 2 computers and 0 working power supplies.

so i bought a new one, but only like a 550...not enuf to run sli, but enuf to get the job done. it ran fine, but i wanted more FPS, so i upgraded to a 8800gts.. still running fine. but then compusa had a great sale cuz they were going out of business so i picked up a 1000W trupower Antec for 95 bucks... sweet i thought) cuz now i have 2 decent power supplies and 2 working computers.... so 1000W now i can run sli! so i pick up another 8800gts....everything runs great... still tweaking some stuff.... but everything was fine...

then i'm watchin some movie and POW! shutdown. smells like burned electronic components.... my first instinct was that one of the new vid cards went out....cuz NO WAY could the 1000W top of the line antec supply go out.....but it did....

i haven't tested to see if the mobo and vid cards are ok......i'm so depressed....

i give up....

i'm selling my 8800 gts's and my mobo+cpu+ram....if they still work....cheap....cuz i am tired....Antec ruined me....and i don't even think i can RMA it cuz compusa went out of business and they need a receipt from the store....

i'm quitting cs for a while.... so if you guys don't see me on the server that is why.....

i'm also prolly quitting my job.... i hate it.... been there 8 years and they treat us like crap.

i'm probably moving to san antonio...i might have to be without high speed internet for a while....

i'm moving to be closer to family and friends.....

o0o

That sucks! Sorry it's discouraging you...I would just buy a new PSU instead of losing all the investment in your hardware...especially when in a few weeks you get the CS bug again (don't think it won't happen).

QFT ... besides, there was a good PSU deal posted a few days ago, and newegg always has deals. Could be worse ... you could be stuck in Minnesota.

glhf

Dang buddy, sorry to hear about your misfortunes.

You and dweezil have a point though. It is quite strange that they died.

But moving closer to family is great :) I wish you all the best *gives slap to the back*. Things'll brighten up, you'll see :D

Sorry to hear about all your misforutnes, but don't give up! instead get AWAY from antec:

from http://www.behardware.com/news/8550/power-...ilure-rate.html

Tagan, Enermax and most of all Antec are above the limit. For Antec, the SmartPower 2.0 range including the 500, 350 and 400 Watts versions has very high failure rates: respectively 21.6%, 18.1% and 17.3%. Not a single product has a rate below 2% and the best one is the Neo HE 430 watts at 2.6%.

So keep your chin up, it will get better (unless your family is like mine). Good luck on the move though and see you when you get back.

If you are adamant about selling off your stuff, I'd make sure and test each piece of hw first. The reason my thinking went to it being a possible "brown power" issue is because it has happened on 2 different systems (if you had used the same mobo for each, I would initially think it was the blame of your mobo). If this is the case, other parts could have been damaged to one degree or another.

After that, again if you are resolved to sell off your stuff, put a list up in the Buy, Sell, Trade forums.

thanks for the thoughts and suggestions.... and you're all probably right....

after i've slept i have a little bit clearer head...

1) could be the mobo....dunno. it's old and needs upgrading too, but then that means ram+cpu as well.

2) it's been in 2 different houses, and both are <15 yrs old...so wiring should be fine

3) but... it has been the same surge suppressor....i should invest in a UPS....

4) i will get the c.s. bug again...well really i still have it...i'm just discouraged right now...

5) so i could spend 50-100 bucks on another power supply again and cross my fingers

6) i could sell one of the 8800gts's and don't overtax my psu

7) i am still going to quit my job.

8) i am still going to be w/o high speed for a little while. man that's gonna suck

none of it is happening very quickly tho... i have to take some time off.

thanks for the words of encouragement.... and i'll probably visit the forums more often to get my "community" fix :)

Sorry to hear about all your misforutnes, but don't give up! instead get AWAY from antec:

from http://www.behardware.com/news/8550/power-...ilure-rate.html

Tagan, Enermax and most of all Antec are above the limit. For Antec, the SmartPower 2.0 range including the 500, 350 and 400 Watts versions has very high failure rates: respectively 21.6%, 18.1% and 17.3%. Not a single product has a rate below 2% and the best one is the Neo HE 430 watts at 2.6%.

So keep your chin up, it will get better (unless your family is like mine). Good luck on the move though and see you when you get back.

Hope my smartpower 2 can hang in there, i've had over 2 years now.

Good luck

on 2 different systems (if you had used the same mobo for each, I would initially think it was the blame of your mobo).

actually it has been the same mobo thru all of the events... but i just thought i was overtaxing the psu....

and i really do need to test all the stuff....but i don't wanna test it with this mobo :(

One other note on power supplies. The factory cooling fan is adequate at best. Putting a PS that's twice as large will indoubtedly create substantially more heat. Anyone putting a PS that's 20% or larger than original should look into getting a more powerful (in terms of cu.ft./min) cooling fan. Excessive heat will not only make the PS less efficient, but shorten it's life span. You wouldn't overclock you CPU by more than 20% without a cooling unit of some sort (i hope), why would you do it to any other component? Anyway, hope that helps.

Happy Gaming.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard from other people that I've played with that have had an Antec PS literally spark and die in their computers.

http://www.pjrc.com/about/rambling/antec.html

I didn't read through the whole article (it's a bit old, too) on this page, but I've read other ones. They seem to all say the same thing. You can Google something like "Antec + power supply failure" and a number of links can possibly tell you what the problem may be. A lot of focus seems to be on the capacitors, but I don't know for your particular situation. Hopefully, you can find a solution and play soon.

Edited by TheFirstMonk

• 3 weeks later...

update for my fellow .gc's:

classes are over. i made an A and a B. :wiggle2:

my last day at my current job is may 20 (next tuesday)

i saved up some cash, but it won't last long.

my parents are gracious enough to let me stay in their extra room in san antonio.

it's not really san antonio, it's actually in a small rural town out east. no high speed internet.

with gas prices and food prices what they are, i can't afford to be without income for very long.

and i definitely have to either lease or sell my house in austin.

i still haven't decided whether to get a job full time or do part-time and go to school full time...

i just know that i can do better than i've been doing in the last 8 years. :shrug03:

hope it all works out in the end. and hope to be back in the server eventually.

-----

"the race is long. and in the end, it's only with yourself" --Mary Schmich, sunscreen speech