Computar Desk

So I've been noticing my right arm has been getting a bit sore when I'm using my home PC (no jokes, pls), and I think it's because the setup is not ergonomic at all. The keyboard tray is in a comfortable spot, but there's not enough room for a mouse there, so it's about 5-6" higher on another platform. From the front, it looks like this:

---_____-*-

The * is a mouse.

So I wanted to know what you guys have for a desk setup... anything ergonomic? Have any recommendations for a new desk? I'm not looking for any extremes (an old door on two horses, or a custom beast like this)... just something reasonable, maybe in the $100-$300 range.

What do you guys use? What would you like to get?

i have an aeron, so at least i'm starting in the right direction :D

i've been having the same issues, sore elbow, forearm, and wrist (again, no jokes, please), but my mouse is on the same plane as my keyboard. i did some ergo research, and this seems based on solid fact: http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/computerworkstations/

i'm looking to build my own, but only because i haven't been happy with anything i've seen; they're either too expensive ($2k+) or too super crap. either way, there seems to be a direct correlation (to mfg's) between ergo design and loss of function. the high end desks looked like they were built in a windtunnel. i need a desk that's a desk, but is also good for me.

Wow...seriously.

My keyboard and mouse are side by side on a tray but it means having 1 inch of clearance between my hands and the bottom of the desk, otherwise I have to sit far too far away for the position to be functional.

My feet are flat (I use one of those adjustable foot rests) and my wrists and forearms are level. I really really really wish I had SJ's chair...but doood...those things are $$$ :(

I'm going to move my monitor as the bottom is aligned with my eye level, not the top...that might alleviate some of the pains.

I have the ikea jerker desk, love it. I cant find it on there site right now, only the fredrick which is the jerker but without the shelf above it.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40111124

sounds like "the Jerker" would result in more arm/wrist problems than they already have ;)

I have a decent desk at home, but the mouse is also higher than the keyboard tray. Unfortunately, the desk has had crap piled on it since I moved into my house last year so it hasn't been used much as a desk in a while.

I really should take a picture of my current "gaming" setup/position. I think it's even worse than Anonymo's old "setup" before he got his desk.

It involves a low coffee table w/ couch as backrest, my laptop, MX518 mouse, headphones, separate microphone, and the table edge digging into my forearms. I played CS one night for about three hours and had to keep getting up for a drink refill to retain feeling in my arse.

On the plus side, I am in front of my beautiful HDTV, so I can have the stanley cup playoffs in HD viewable with my screen :D

(edited)

Mine is an old school heavy @$$ desk I got given too me. Not a true computer desk though. Keyboard and mouse sit on the desk too high up for extended gaming sessions as the shoulders start aching (like pinched nerves or something).

And boiler, what do you think of this TV? ===> http://www.abesofmaine.com/item=SSLNT5265F~item.htm

Edited by dwEEziL

Also: exercise more and take more breaks from GW? Or WoW. Or whatever it is you kids are playing these days. :P

I just have a mouse next to my keyboard on a desk a little higher than my chair's arms. My elbows are on the rests, and my wrists rest on the desk. I sometimes game flat-footed, but usually I just cross my ankles and stretch my legs out. I can game for about 3 hours straight before I feel like I should move.

Mine is an old school heavy @$$ desk I got given too me. Not a true computer desk though. Keyboard and mouse sit on the desk too high up for extended gaming sessions as the shoulders start aching (like pinched nerves or something).

And boiler, what do you think of this TV? ===> http://www.abesofmaine.com/item=SSLNT5265F~item.htm

saw you mention it in the other post and was going to reply there, but oh well.

looks good to me. It's a slightly older model, but for the size, resolution, and specs the price is right. Samsung, Sony, and Sharp make the best LCD tvs, imo.

Boiler wins.

I'm just surprised I was the first, to be honest ;)

sj - how would you build one? What materials would you use? How would you design it?

boiler - have you noticed any pains? It sounds like your setup is very similar to mine (iow, bad).

dweezil - any concerns about the pains you get? It sounds like your setup is worse than mine or boiler's!

I do have concerns and a new desk is on tap for the future, just have other things I want first (like the tv, which I think I might be ordering later today). I've also goofed up my ACL's in each shoulder (left one is a really old injury that doesn't really bother me, the right one is fairly recent and is still sore the majority of the time but infinitely less severe then the left one was) so I have a little pain all the time. I just try not to have extended sessions and if I notice it hurting a little more than usual I get my butt up and step away from the computer. I sort of like the looks of those V1 chairs (as comfort-ability goes) but I'd need a setup that would accommodate multiple towers (and I could just imagine the $$ for something like that).

sj, if you do end up making your own and it works out well, save the building plans. Other here, myself included, might be interested in it.

boiller, I realize it's a slightly older model, but the price bump to the newer ones is fairly steep and, based on the specs and some reviews I've read, this one is pretty darn good. I'd like a slightly faster response time but 8ms is doable.

(edited)

i love my jerker.

i've got the kb and mouse pushed back so my full fore arms sit on the desk. that's probably the most ergonomic position. i can game for hours with no discomfort.

i can't stand keyboard trays. imo, your mouse and keyboard should be at the same level side by side. if your arms are on the desktop there's no awkward bending of the elbows or slouching. just make sure your desk and chair are at a compatible height.

edit - honestly, any desk that is deep enough to get your arms on is probably all you need. even a $70 ikea table would work fine. it is nice to have a shelf above though.

this image is quite dated as i don't have most of that stuff anymore but it gives a good idea of what i'm talking about. i've actually got everything pushed back even more.

closeoverheadag8.jpg

Edited by Cujo

Yeah I'm really starting to hate my keyboard tray again. I've been thinking about selling my current desk that I got in September (I think...can't remember) and getting that Jerker...my college room mate had one of those and while I disliked it back then I really want cujo's setup...it's by far the most comfortable. I used to game like that, but with a u-shape desk that I could get my arms all the way onto...played for 18 hours straight once (Norguard would remember).

I have built my own "desk" but it was more of a table for my decks, built it out of some really thick countertop laminated wood that someone wasn't using on their house (or didn't...). It was darn sturdy but so heavy that I ended up leaving it in Montreal because I just didn't want to move it anywhere.

The Jerker looks like the way to go... cheap, but effective. I'm digging the adjustable aspect of it too. But they're not on Ikea's website... the closest I could find is the Fredrik. Something tells me this isn't the same thing.
Holds an up to 19" monitor.
:unsure:

Doesn't look like the Jerker exists anymore...

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/60111123

That's the closest I could find. No cut out section where you sit.

if you need a gut cutout, you might want to consider a gym membership in your near future.

also, full fredrik line:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...p;query=FREDRIK

stupid canadian store. here's the american store; notice the cheaper prices:

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/serv...p;query=FREDRIK

i might score me one of them desks and workstations.

/me likes space

i should have commented before but i actually don't like the cut out. i wish it was straight across. this is partly because then my steering wheel would mount better but also cause i wouldn't have to reach so far.