Fill er up!

Magruter

i'll take my chances with the aptera in an accident. it's not like my girlfriend's jetta would hold up much better against the tanks soccer mom's (and shoot) are required to drive these days.

this sounds pretty rad:

This Aptera is powered exclusively with batteries and will get you around town to the tune of approximately 120 miles depending on your driving conditions. At night you simply plug the Aptera into any standard 110 volt outlet and in just a few hours you will have a fully charged vehicle that will take you another 120 miles. The approximate cost of this option with all the features listed above will be $26,900.

if i need to drive > 120 miles in a day, hour car or daily car rentals aren't a bad option.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll take my chances with the aptera in an accident. it's not like my girlfriend's jetta would hold up much better against the tanks soccer mom's (and shoot) are required to drive these days.

this sounds pretty rad:

This Aptera is powered exclusively with batteries and will get you around town to the tune of approximately 120 miles depending on your driving conditions. At night you simply plug the Aptera into any standard 110 volt outlet and in just a few hours you will have a fully charged vehicle that will take you another 120 miles. The approximate cost of this option with all the features listed above will be $26,900.

if i need to drive > 120 miles in a day, hour car or daily car rentals aren't a bad option.

If I hit the Aptera with my Denali, I would drag the darn thing for miles before I knew what I hit.

this sounds pretty rad:

If I hit the Aptera with my Denali, I would drag the darn thing for miles before I knew what I hit.

maybe, you shouldn't drive with your eyes closed?

this sounds pretty rad:

Then the Aptera would be getting really great gas mileage.

this sounds pretty rad:

Then the Aptera would be getting really great gas mileage.

such great optimism; able to see the glass being half full in every situation haha

this sounds pretty rad:

maybe, you shouldn't drive with your eyes closed?

Can't help it... I'm Asian.

0-60 is about 10 seconds. Estimated top speed for the production model is ~85mph.

I tried to look it up on wiki.. but i am guessing it was just on the site. 10 seconds isn't bad at all.. the only things I'd be bummed with it are:

Getting hit

Long Trips (although i have heard of "Trip" batteys)

The style/look

and i mean come on... have they taken that thing out on the top gear test track? that thing looks like it'd get annihilated on turns... and it looks like a speed bumb would kill you

all in all though something like this... maybe a sedan model would be nice for small commutes.. like ive said. i like the idea.

And how much will your electric bill go up charging that thing every few days? And what exactly produces the electricity, coal and natural gas plants? Clean eh. cheap eh. Sure.

You're so right about this... If you use an alternative energy, it has to come from somewhere.

Electricity = coal, gas (hydro and windmills too, but it's mostly coal and gas power).

Hybrids = batteries to store electricity (where are we going to dump all those batteries when they need to be replaced?

Hydrogen = how do we make it? same thing as electricity, it needs other means of power to process.

Nothing is for free = something else has to give.

There's no single cure for this energy crisis. Sad.

And how much will your electric bill go up charging that thing every few days?
from the FAQ, $3 / charge (based on current PG&E electric prices).

i drive commute ~ 10 miles / day, and the average charge lasts ~ 160 miles.

i'm not a bean counter (:D), but the comparison would be:

electric - 160 miles = $3

gas - 160miles (@ 30mpg) and average price $3.75/gal = ~$20

160 miles x (1 gallon / 30 miles) x $3.75/gallon = $20.0

edit: that does not include the carbon footprint for gas transport to each station and each hop from the refinery.

And how much will your electric bill go up charging that thing every few days?
from the FAQ, $3 / charge (based on current PG&E electric prices).

i drive commute ~ 10 miles / day, and the average charge lasts ~ 160 miles.

i'm not a bean counter (:D), but the comparison would be:

electric - 160 miles = $3

gas - 160miles (@ 30mpg) and average price $3.75/gal = ~$20

160 miles x (1 gallon / 30 miles) x $3.75/gallon = $20.0

edit: that does not include the carbon footprint for gas transport to each station and each hop from the refinery.

Huh. I woulda thought it would suck more juice than that. Maybe my AC unit should run on that system.