Wii would like to play

boiler

(edited)

It's my wife's fault...

I went to my sister's boyfriend's house last night to hang out and have some pizza and beer. He had a Wii there, and since I have never even held a Wiimote before, we decided to play for a while. Just played the Wii Sports stuff and Mario Kart and I was hooked.

My wife (who is not a gamer by any stretch of the imagination) wanted to play, and proceeded to destroy all challengers in bowling and boxing. After retiring 8-0 in boxing (against the three of us), she said to me "That was fun, maybe we should get one of these."

That was the only remaining mental obstacle keeping me from getting one, so I went online this morning and ordered the Walmart Customer Choice Bundle. For $496 I am getting:

Wii Console

Second Wii-mote and nunchuck

Super Smash Bros Brawl

Super Mario Galaxy

Zelda Twilight Princess

Metroid 3 Corruption

I still want to get Mario Kart Wii with wheel and Resident Evil 4 Wii edition.

The only thing I'm not sure about is Smash Brothers. I played it last night as well, and none of us had any idea what was going on as far as controls, etc. (The game was the boyfriend's roomate's) Therefore I wasn't very impressed and got bored quickly. Ironically, this was the only game in the bundle that I WASN'T able to choose, it automatically came with it. I'm thinking about selling if anyone wants to buy it off me unless people here can convince me not to.

2 questions for current owners:

1. I would like a rechargeable solution - is the Nyko charging station a good option? I'm concerned about some reviews of the base crapping out and corrosion after a short time.

2. I definitely want to get the component cables - any third party ones worth buying, or should I just get the Nintendo brand one?

Thanks all!

p.s. - Don't worry Anonymo, Xbox 360 will still be my first love - we also still need to play GTAIV multiplayer!

Edited by boilersax

(edited)
2 questions for current owners:

1. I would like a rechargeable solution - is the Nyko charging station a good option? I'm concerned about some reviews of the base crapping out and corrosion after a short time.

2. I definitely want to get the component cables - any third party ones worth buying, or should I just get the Nintendo brand one?

Thanks all!

p.s. - Don't worry Anonymo, Xbox 360 will still be my first love - we also still need to play GTAIV multiplayer!

I got a docking station by mistake. I bought the wii and the station at the same time not realizing that the wii took AA batteries. :freak3: I already have a charger and loads of rechargeable AA batteries. I think the charging station is a gimmick, I would just get a regular wall charger and regular AA batteries, you can use then with anything and are much cheaper.

I'm using a no-name component cable I bought off the web for $6 and works great. Don't spend $30 to get the Nintendo name. If anything get a cheap one at Target or BB, if there is a problem with it you can always swap.

Edited by bushwack

I'm using the Nintendo brand component cables. Never had a problem with them.

As for SSB:M, the game is outstanding, but it needs to be played with the GameCube controller. I find it impossible to play that game with the Wiimote. Same with Mario Kart. The Steering Wheel just makes the game harder to play. Do yourself a favor and buy 2 GameCube controllers if you plan on playing those 2 games.

Ok, I don't want to make you guys feel bad but I have the following:

The system

3 controllers

2 nunchucks

2 game pads

1 steering wheel

2 Nyko charging stations--- and yes, they are worth it.

All this except Smash Bros. game was bought from my brother when he closed his gaming store. All for $200 :boing:

:boing::luxhello:

Games:

Tiger Woods Golf

Wii Sports

Wii Play

Smash Brothers

I think I might go out and buy Mario Kart. You can get more steering wheels from Game Stop for $10. A steering wheel comes with the game.

You'll have a lot of fun with this system, it really is pretty fun with the interaction concept. Makes things more fun to play.

how long have you had the charging stations? I'm just concerned about the longevity issues some people have had with them. I definitely like that solution more than standard rechargeable batteries, but I'm trying to determine the cost/benefit here. Considering there are two more games plus the component cables I want to buy (in addition to the stuff already on it's way) I'm already looking at a pretty big outlay here.

If I decide to keep SSBB I know for sure I can't use the standard wii-mote/nunchuck. I have looked at the classic controller as a cheap possibility - good option? I didn't own a gamecube, so no controllers laying around, and I also need to have something wireless since I sit a fair distance away from my TV when I play. I know the classic isn't completely wireless, but having the wii-mote nearby isn't too bad.

Thanks for all your input guys, can't wait until it actually gets here now! :D

The chargers were bought with the system brand new. They haven't given me any problems yet, and I keep them plugged in all the time and there is usually remotes sitting on them most of the time.

As far as the rest you can add as you your pocket allows :biglaugha: I got extremely lucky with the one I got. I seriously doubt you'll find a deal like that. I hope this helps a little. Enjoy!!

If I decide to keep SSBB I know for sure I can't use the standard wii-mote/nunchuck. I have looked at the classic controller as a cheap possibility - good option? I didn't own a gamecube, so no controllers laying around, and I also need to have something wireless since I sit a fair distance away from my TV when I play. I know the classic isn't completely wireless, but having the wii-mote nearby isn't too bad.

Get the GameCube controller called the WaveBird. It's Nintendo's wireless version of the GameCube controller and a MUST for SSB:M and Mario Kart. If you can't find the GameCube controllers or WaveBirds in stores brand new, try Ebay or maybe GameStop will have used controllers.

Wavebirds are no longer being manufactured and I can't find them new in any online retailer. The used ones I'm seeing (including ebay) are $35+ (saw a new one on ebay asking $60. insane.)

Seems the release of SSB:B made them all disappear. :(

I like the price of the classic much better though :) To be honest, I've never used a gamecube controller (never played gamecube for that matter) so it wouldn't be a "comfort zone" thing for me. I'm learning a new control scheme no matter what.

I'm honestly thinking about seeing if I can return just SSB:B to my nearby Walmart store and exchange it for Mario Kart Wii. They're the same price, and I KNOW I want mario kart. I need another "party/group" game other than Wii Sports, and mario kart seems to be a winner. I'm hoping they'll let me return just the one game of the bundle - they're listed separately on the shipping info :shrug03:

I'm sure that given a proper controller I could get into and start to like Smash Brothers, but I'm more interested in games I want right now without having to spend much more money than I already have. A big reason I'm getting a Wii is to have something to play with my wife and family and mario kart serves that need better than smash brothers does at this point.

All that said, it's looking like I might need to pick up RE4 asap, as it looks like it's being phased out since it's not available in any of my local stores :(

Still want Mario Kart? Way to contribute to the violent and discriminatory history that is Nintendo...some one should knock you out with a tortoise shell.

that, sir, is awesome.

ps - i highly, highly recommend paper mario. it's not a party game, but great for when you and the wii have some alone time.

Still want Mario Kart? Way to contribute to the violent and discriminatory history that is Nintendo...some one should knock you out with a tortoise shell.

that, sir, is awesome.

ps - i highly, highly recommend paper mario. it's not a party game, but great for when you and the wii have some alone time.

Paper Mario is on my "future purchases" list.

Mo, that was indeed awesome. Yuo is teh internets master!

I loved the steering wheel for Mario Kart... I have only gotten 2nd once and 3rd once when racing using it in about 30 races... ? :D

You probably haven't played 150CC or Mirror Mode yet. I feel it's nearly impossible to win those with the wheel. Heck, I'm having enough trouble getting 1st place in all 4 maps WITH the GC controller.

I've been playing Mario Kart online, quiet addictive. One of those "just one more round" kinda things. I played for about an hour last night but couldn't get better then 4th place. Guess I need ditch the wheel and play the single player game first but I don't care.

(edited)

I didn't play single player in my limited time with Kart last week, but from everything I've read the AI on 150cc is severely gimped. Terrible "rubber banding" where you get annihilated by powerups if you're leading the race on the last lap.

I did play exclusively with the wheel though, and I really enjoyed it. I'm sure I could get a little more responsive experience with a gamecube controller or something but the wheel was fun to play with!

I've decided to keep SSB:B and give it the ol' college try with extended play time and different controllers. When I get around to it I may pick up a wireless gamecube controller and smash away. I sold 4 games I had for my 360 that I would never play again that netted me shelf space for my pending Wii titles and enough to buy Mario Kart with very minimal extra out-of-pocket expense, so it all worked out anyway :D

p.s. - the store (not gamestop) gave me $46 for the following 360 titles: Splinter Cell:DA, GRAW 2, Crackdown, and Dead Rising. That was honestly $16 more than I hoped I would get (and definitely more than gamestop would have given - can you believe gamestop would only give me $25 for a new shrink-wrapped copy of Brawl?). I had a few reservations about giving up Crackdown since it was a lot of fun, but with GTAIV on hand, I realized I would probably never touch it again.

Edited by boilersax

Wow...I actually feel like deleting all those fake craigslist postings after this comment...well the legally damning ones at least.

Wow...I actually feel like deleting all those fake craigslist postings after this comment...well the legally damning ones at least.

are you jealous of SJ's wii now? That's what I'm gleaning from your statement :D

Ya I went over to Revs and he has a WII I played a little and was hooked I bought one beat zelda and im looking for another game to take on. I have console,wii sports,wii play,2 wiimotes,1 nunchuck I dont know what games to buy I remember super smash bros. for n64. It was awesome! So il probly get that gotta figure out what I need to connect to internet...

Got an e-mail from Walmart saying all of the games have shipped and will arrive tomorrow. The console and extra controller/nunchuk, however, are still "processing", with arrival dates ranging between this Friday and next Wednesday. As it stands I will have the following on my shelf tomorrow evening:

Super Mario Galaxy

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

Super Mario Kart (courtesy of Newegg)

Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (courtesy of GameStop used selection)

With NO FREAKING CONSOLE TO PLAY THEM WITH YET!!!!11!!1!

Torture.

I'm guessing the console is shipping from a different location (west coast) so maybe it will ship later today.

I have never ever laid out this kind of cash at once on a console, but since I was doing the combo thing anyway to get the system without ebay rip-offs I figured I might as well round it out with stuff I know I'm going to want to buy anyway.

I also picked up some third party component cables and a set of 2500mah AA rechargeables. The Nyko charge station had too many question marks for me, plus with the rechargeables I can use them with my guitar hero controller as well as other assorted devices :D

as well as other assorted devices :D

Don't those "other assorted devices" usually take 'C' batteries ('D's in SJ's case)?

look, if the wedding's off between you and sj, just make a clean break and be done with it. This jealousy thing isn't very becoming of you :D

as well as other assorted devices :D

Don't those "other assorted devices" usually take 'C' batteries ('D's in SJ's case)?

look, if the wedding's off between you and sj, just make a clean break and be done with it. This jealousy thing isn't very becoming of you :D

We eloped long ago...who's kid do you think Dr. Doom is anyways?