Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

nut

I saw it today..

my favs go:

1. Last Crusade (3rd Movie)

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1st Movie)

3. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (4th Movie)

4. Temple of DOOM (2nd movie)

------

my take on it is... it's over the top. I am glad i saw it.. but it gets 3rd on my favs list.. well temple of doom was terrible... sooo.

What do you guys think?

2.5/4 stars

I TRIED very hard to love this movie, but I couldn't. Yes, it is entertaining. Sure, it has a lot of action and a similar story to the other Indy films, but the main problem was the script. It is such a weak script. The acting was fine. Shia LaBeouf was a great addition. Harrison Ford played the part of "older Indy" perfectly. So, the movie wasn't TERRIBLE overall, but it was not nearly as good as I was expecting it to be.

These really aren't spoilers, but if you want the movie to remain 100% unspoiled, don't read any further.

I'll explain just how weak this script is without giving away any large details of the movie... There is a character in the movie who manages to hold onto some vines in the jungle. After watching some monkeys swing on the vines, he starts to swing through the jungle as well like Tarzan. Not only was this utterly ridiculous, but to make it even worse was that he was swinging at a pace that is quicker than 2 fast moving cars so that he "beats" the cars to the next location.... Yeah... the script is THAT bad. The next scene is even worse. A "car-boat" manages to fall off a HUGE cliff, but wait, there is a tree right below it to help it slowly ease down into the water. In addition, as the boat gets off the tree, its branches manage to catapult backwards, killing random enemies. Oh and how could I forget the random nuke scene near the start of the movie. This whole scene made no sense. How the heck did he manage to find this location at the EXACT place and time that the U.S. government just happens to be testing a nuke. And the way he manages to escape from this situation was so fake that I just had a bad feeling that this movie was only going to get worse from that point on. Sadly enough, I was right.

Even after my rant of how fake and weak this script was, I still have to say that it is worth seeing ONCE if you are an Indy fan. There are good elements to the movie far between the bad ones that make it worth viewing once. Just remember, don't expect it to be nearly as good at the original or you will be as disappointed as I was.

The movie was crap... Spielberg and Lucus now think people love all the graphics and that makes a movie. I read a long time ago there would be no CGI, I was quite disappointed. Graphics don't make a movie. The script was terrible also. Ridiculous stunts, I mean in Temple of Doom when they jumped out of the plane with the raft, it was semi-ridiculous. This was just over the top.

I really think the two directors have lost touch with their movie making skills. They have gotten so big and done so many movies, they have forgotten what makes a good movie.

I thought they should have made Indy start to ease into retirement, play a role with some characteristics as Sean Connery did in Last crusade... but still have a little youthfulness. They managed to just make a horrible movie. If it wasn't the 4th installment of the Indy series, I guess it would have been an OK movie, but given its predecessors, it needs to be held to a higher standard and it came nowhere near that.

the movie was crap.

2/5 stars.

ugly: script, plot, effects, and oh my the ridiculous ending

bad: forced one-liners, pairie dogs, monkey action sequence

good parts: harrison, shia, sand pit scene

I am not a giant indy fan, but we all grew up with these films, and so I love them, too. That's why this movie was so sad. There wasn't enough problem solving, all the action sequences were weak, and i can't tell you how much i hate the ending. I mean, all the years, all the endless script revisions, and that's the best they came up with? I hate george lucas, and kind of speilberg and harrison for agreeing to do that film. ugh, garbage.

yes I completely forgot about the sandpit. I found that to be awful too. He pulled him out with a snake? Come on. The other Indy movies were like semi-realistic with like 1 or 2, maybe 3 crazy stunts that probably wouldn't really happen in real life, but it could be possible... This movie had about 20 stunts, all of which are completely impossible.

Have these guys really forgot how to make movies? Or has this became the new standard? I don't understand how this got like 7.3 out of 10 stars on IMDB. Temple of Doom was way better than this.

• 2 weeks later...
nut

well also something that made it CORNY... was how he has a kid... and Indy starts calling him son... and the girl and indy are soooo unrealistically tight with eachother.

What a bunch of complainers! Heh :P

I liked it. I go to movies to see imposible stunts and totally improbable situations. I'm sure as heck not going to spend 10 bucks to watch a movie where everything is commonplace and banal. I think you guys are expecting to much from a movie. Not just any movie, but an action/adventure movie for goodness sakes. If you want your movies to be about real life, go watch Fried Green Tomatos or some other girly movies heh :).

Shaftiel

Shaft please don't ever have a production company or movie studio. Its people like you who make movies like "Batman and Robin" :)

How dare you

Shaftiel

P.S. I do live in Southern California... so its a possibility heh :P

My wife and I really enjoyed the movie. Yes, there were a lot of not-so-believable situations but last time I checked, that's what has always been the case with Indiana Jones movies. All three of the previous films has stuff like this, and yet they were still very entertaining. I'm not going to let a groan sequence or two (the whole monkey-vine thing) ruin the whole movie when overall I was pretty darned entertained throughout. I did wish there was a little more of the "academic" side to it in the discovery of the secrets and such, but I suppose it's harder to have it steeped in too much history when you're talking about aliens and not dealing with centuries-old religious icons.

The closeness between "the girl" and Indy was actually very understandable - you forget about Raiders of the Lost Ark? I believe somewhere in the other two he mentioned her again after that, although it's been a while since I've seen them.