Classes - Your Take on Them

Unclean

So what do you guys think about the class you're presently playing? I'm thinking in terms of other people thinking about picking up an alt. Just post your class, what you like/don't like, and if you'd roll it again if you had the option. I'll start...

Ranger - a really fun class... does some high DPS, stealthing is really nice, decently tough (medium armor + evade + increased resistances). Plus it has a very useful ability - tracking. You can even track cloaked creatures/people. I usually stalk someone that tried to gank me, and if they stealth, then I track + trap them (breaks their stealth without breaking mine) and then attack. I'm able to solo most quests where the mobs are 3-4 levels higher than I am, as long as there are only 1 or 2 at a time. 3 usually takes a potion. The downside is up-close combat. I have a tough time fighting people as soon as they're in my face unless they stand still. I'd re-roll this class in a second.

Necromancer - it's a very "meh" class to me. I usually go for caster type classes, but casters in PvP servers are targeted frequently because people see an easy win (whether that's true or not). In terms of spells, they are not balanced yet, so I feel like I'm wasting a lot of feat points for very little gain. DPS is also high, they have DOTS, so even if you die you mark the enemy for death too. I've only played this class to 17 or 18 though... maybe that's not enough time. Voodoo, feel free to chime in on this one. :)

Alright I'll put my 2 sense in on my classes I play...

Assassin - Ummm at the moment its a little bit unbalanced imo... I can only kill one or two mobs at my level at a time, sometimes 2 even requires a potion... So higher levels I have a rough time dealing with. Assassins can only wear cloth armor and the strongest combat we have is close up, and I mean close seeing as we can only use daggers and they have the shortest range of all other weapons. We have no ways of really stunning or slowing down enemies until level 70 and apparently female assassins(one I'm playing) attack slower at the moment... The Devs are looking into that, but I've been playing for awhile now and I could of been leveling even faster :) We are really squishy compared to a caster because at least a caster can attack from long range, we have to get up close, and 1 or 2 hits can sometimes even take us down in PvP... We have an upside which is what I mainly like assassin type classes for and thats stealth. We have stronger stealth than anyone else in the game and we have a stealth attack, so as long as we get to someone before they find you you should be ok. I mean we can kill pretty fast, but we have to be close and watch our health... I would reroll too, but I have faith that they will balance the class better in the future and then I may enjoy it more.

Tempest of Set - This is one of my alts at level 21 right now, but I love this class a lot. Its a group healing quest with spells focused on lightning to kill you're enemies. Also 2 really nice way to stun you're enemies making it easy to stun jump back and kill. This class at higher levels can take on multiple mobs with nice AoE spells and still heal themselves and others. PvP is nice with this character also.

Dark Templar - Another alt at level 20 right now, and it is my first tank character ever in a mmo. It is a fun class to play because its a tank but also uses spells to drain health from the enemy and give back to yourself. I had quests where I had to take on 4 same level enemies as myself and I did it with ease. I like this character, but still a little slow to kill stuff, I just have high defense...

Of all 3 I really like my tempest, but now that I've leveled my assassin to 49 so far its kind of hard to switch, maybe after I hit 80 :)

Necromancer = No HP, No armor, No good spells, Minions that enemies ignore, 1,000 deaths by level 40 and PvP bait. Have fun. :D

:biglaugha:

Me Conqueror. Me have big sword, but it slow and weak. Me have very weak combos and almost no way of healing self other than 20% neutral regen (that doesn't seem to work all the time). Me get stunned a lot and if snuck up on, have no way of dealing with rogues and assassins.

DF, ditch the Assassin and level your tempest to 80 with me.

(edited)
Necromancer = No HP, No armor, No good spells, Minions that enemies ignore, 1,000 deaths by level 40 and PvP bait. Have fun. :D

:biglaugha:

Me Conqueror. Me have big sword, but it slow and weak. Me have very weak combos and almost no way of healing self other than 20% neutral regen (that doesn't seem to work all the time). Me get stunned a lot and if snuck up on, have no way of dealing with rogues and assassins.

DF, ditch the Assassin and level your tempest to 80 with me.

Maybe I will do just that, and when you're not on to level with I'll level my assassin! So it'd be like me, you, and DNA, I just have to catch up is all, since my tempest is 21... But I know everything(exaggerating a bit) in the game now so I bet I could do it like tonight even...

On a side note, I think I'm starting to like my assassin for PvP... Last night I was 52 grouped with a same level guildie whom was a barbarian... Well we had just gotten out of an instance and we were walking out, I see this group of 3 out there(54 necro, 54 guardian, and some other who was 53) all from the same guild(deadly intentions). I of course go immediately into stealth(just in case) even though they knew I was there and the necro sends his pets onto my group member, so I go behind the necro and sneak attack 1 shot him...was kind of cool... So after he died we start attacking the 53, even though they were both on us, mostly the barbarian(apparently they aren't to afraid of assassins yet)... We kill the 53 pretty easily and then it was time for the long battle with the guardian, I had to pop a potion and a lotus healing spell from my tree to kill him, but finally after a long time of us both hitting him and circling we kill him too...

So they started a fight with all of there levels higher than us and we still won... It was a lot of fun and usually I feel terrible about killing others but they deserved it...hehe...

Edited by DragonFire

Now you're thinking! And you'll have me and DNA to protect you!

Ha I was thinking she would protect us.. LOL

Sounds good to work together when we are on, I am almost at 25 should have it in a hour or two at most.

My Necro is fine, but the armor thing is a little tough, I find that when I solo it is very slow pace because I need to stealth and send my minons out to do the dirty work. I mobs of 2 maybe 3 at 1 or 2 levels lower I am good, but at 2+ at the same or higher level I am using a postion fo sure.

I am really hoping that something will come soon in the next 5-10 levels that will let me kick some butt. I am really confused on one thing:

I used feats on my nightfall section and not very many on my reannimation section. Is there more nightime stuff I will do later on after the noob island or did I waste them.??!!

You can always respec.

And bind a key to send your pets to attack first. That way, they pull aggro and your spells just chip away at them. It'll make things a LOT easier for you. Plus pets can run a LONG way to attack something, even if it stealths.

You can always respec.

And bind a key to send your pets to attack first. That way, they pull aggro and your spells just chip away at them. It'll make things a LOT easier for you. Plus pets can run a LONG way to attack something, even if it stealths.

What do you men repec?? I can get feat points back?? Should I or are the ones in the nightfall okay?

Yep, you can get feat points back. You just have to talk to one of the NPC's that'll do it for you. So what's your current build? Go here and paste the URL it tells you to copy:

http://feats.goonheim.com/necromancer

The only feat retrainer I have memorized is in Tortage by the docks - look for the tall ladder, and he'll be at the base of it.

So this is what I have now as I think..: DNA'S Necro

Sounds like that might be a good respec for you for right now. You can switch back and forth between your frost and dots. From what Voodoo says, the increased damage from your dots isn't worth the feat points.

You can always respec.

The only problem with this is pets and the Necromancer share aggro, which means every time you attack something and aren't stealthed everything is coming your way. Regardless of what your pets are doing. Even players know that Necromancers die in 1 or 2 hits and will be a lot easier to kill them rather than their pets.

Only way for things to attack your pets is to use Frenzy, which lasts for about 15 seconds and can only be casted every 2 minutes.

I actually didn't notice this as I levelled my necro to 18... I'd wait for the minions to make the first hit, then I'd start casting away. Maybe it's a little different later in the game. Ah well, I tried to help. :)

(edited)

I have noticed that all you guys have taken DPS classes. There will probably be a high demand for tanks and healers

as you level higher and start to get into some instances. This will be especially true in endgame content, where these classes

are essential. What level is the first instance? has anyone been in any yet?

Edited by wayfarer

I have noticed that all you guys have taken DPS classes. There will probably be a high demand for tanks and healers

as you level higher and start to get into some instances. This will be especially true in endgame content, where these classes

are essential. What level is the first instance? has anyone been in any yet?

You're going to have to be moar specific. They classify every area where you can fight enemies "instances" so we've all been in them. Did you forget part of your post because it seems like something is missing.

Oh and I R TANK.

Our guild has quite a few tanks/healers, so I think we're set from that angle. I was thinking about levelling a tank just in case (although Dragonfire doesn't want me to, because she still needs a level buddy at 52).

Btw, I'm at 50.5 now. Hoping to hit 52 by the end of tonight.

Our guild has quite a few tanks/healers, so I think we're set from that angle. I was thinking about levelling a tank just in case (although Dragonfire doesn't want me to, because she still needs a level buddy at 52).

Btw, I'm at 50.5 now. Hoping to hit 52 by the end of tonight.

I should be at 30 by the end of tonight...we'll see how it goes.

Ok, here's what I found for you guys;

AoC dungeons list

There is a seperate list for instances, so I am thinking that these are free for all

dungeons, where the first group to tag a boss gets him. The rest have to wait

for a respawn. I read somewhere that AoC used the instance method of group

events, but maybe they use both. *edit* confirmed both styles of dungeons are used; AoC dungeon explanation

After extensive searching on AoC wikki, I have found there is not much information available at the moment. I

realize it's a new game but there is some info there, but it's broken up and kind of useless. A simple name

of the instance/dungeon accompanied with it's level would suffice, the contributions are lacking at this time I guess.

The clearest one is The black castle, for levels 31-32. With all the info available for this one, and it's level, I'm going

to venture the thought that this is the first instance, though maybe not the first open dungeon.

Maybe Unclean has a clue as to what you're talking about.

It's a good thing I minored in wayfarerese in college.

There are some dungeons where you can get some nice gear at lower levels... I recall doing Sanctum a few times to get some nice stuff. I'm only up to 50 atm though, and since it's a new game, there aren't a TON of level 80 characters running around. I think you'll have to re-ask this question in a month or two when there are a sufficient number of 80's.

Are you big into end-game raiding?