...and again

YoMamma

Last night someone broke into my car while it was parked in front of my house. My aunt thinks she heard a noise around 5am, but didn't notice the damage until around 6am, which is when she woke me up to tell me what has happened. These moronic thieves were trying to steal my new radar detector, but I've kept it locked away ever since this happened:

http://www.gamrs.co/forums/in...showtopic=18534

They made away with the cigarette power adapter and the suction cups that hold the radar detector on the windshield, but that's all they got away with. I'm more tinkled that my window is again broken and now must be fixed.... grrrr. My insurance company said they'll cover the cost of the window, but now I'll have to wait several days without a "working car" that I can park somewhere.

/end rant

P.S. I HATE THIEVES. They don't deserve the gift of life.

Ugh, that sucks! Just out of curiosity, does this raise your insurance premiums because your car has a giant "break my windows and steal stuff" sign on it?

Let me know if you want to round up a revenge posse. I'm probably about 5-10 minutes away from you.

Ugh, that sucks! Just out of curiosity, does this raise your insurance premiums because your car has a giant "break my windows and steal stuff" sign on it?

Let me know if you want to round up a revenge posse. I'm probably about 5-10 minutes away from you.

I had an insurance company DROP me after my car got broken into.....LAME

Oh, and I'm on-board with the revenge posse....I HATE thieves.

Heh, if they want your radar detector just give it to them.. they don't work anyway. By the time you are able to react to the detector telling you that a radar beam is on you, that beam has already bounced back to the cop and given a speed. I have never understood why people waste their money on these things.

Shaftiel

Just out of curiosity, does this raise your insurance premiums because your car has a giant "break my windows and steal stuff" sign on it?

I'm not sure. They didn't say.

Let me know if you want to round up a revenge posse.

Sounds good except I have no clue who could have done this. Probably one of those random nut jobs who drives in and out of my culdesac every night.

Dude that sucks! You sound like someone who actually needs a car alarm.

A car alarm won't stop them from smashing my window. It would only force them to run away quicker. Plus, this was such a "quick job" that they only got away with $20 of my stuff. These thieves = fail.

Where do you live by the way?

Elk Grove Village, IL

Here's an old picture of my car in front of my house (as it would have been last night). Except, I had my radar detector locked away and windows up of course. What worries me about this situation is that these thieves know where I live and could come back at any time and day to do this again.

545506485_l.jpg

By the time you are able to react to the detector telling you that a radar beam is on you, that beam has already bounced back to the cop and given a speed.

This is somewhat true. If the cop is using his laser gun, there is no way to get around it with a radar detector. You'd need a laser jammer, but those are illegal. But, if the cop is using radar technology, the radar detector will pick up on it with plenty of time for the driver to slow down.

Ok I have the perfect idea! Pressurize your car at night. When the go to break the window the glass will fly out at them and I doubt they'll be going anywhere.

You, sir, are a genius.

Applying this method would be a logistical/financial nightmare due to the inability to seal the car, but you get major style points for the idea.

Bravo.

sorry to hear that dude...maybe you should go all James Bond on your windows so they even a hammer can't break em.....granted this could have a negative impact if you were to fly off a cliff land in water and not be able to open your windows....but its still good times. That way when they keep tryin to break it nothin will happen :D

Just install motion sensor lights. Those usually keep the cockraoches away.

This would actually be a fairly practical solution. Put motion sensors on the lights on the driveway, and when someone gets close enough to your car, they will kick on and most likely send the would-be thief/vandal packing.

Just install motion sensor lights. Those usually keep the cockraoches away.

This would actually be a fairly practical solution. Put motion sensors on the lights on the driveway, and when someone gets close enough to your car, they will kick on and most likely send the would-be thief/vandal packing.

Yeah, that seems like a good idea. In the mean time I'm just going to leave the front outdoor lights on overnight. We normally turn them off at night to save on electricity.

That sucks...but very interesting.

The fact that your car was hit 2 times makes one wonder if it could be the same person/people. They always say a thief will strike multiple times cause they know the insurance will replace exactly what they stole.

If that were true it seems maybe it was someone who knew you had the detector and where you live. Maybe someone who "thinks she heard a noise" yet conveniently didn't check it out?

Yes, I believe what we have here is the answer "The Aunt, in the Driveway, with the lead pipe". Elementary my dear YoMamma.

oh, and I'd vote for the motion sensor light. Used to have a spotlight on my garage (was easy to replace) that was motion sensor. Since it was a replacement the wiring was easy & it only cost like 30 bucks. Now I leave my lights on but have CFL's out there to save cost.