The Definitive Apple MAC OS thread

ZeroDamage

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IAlertU if you have a Mac laptop. When set it uses the built in motion sensors to tell if your laptop is being moved (i.e. stolen) and sounds an alarm like a car alarm. Can also take a picture of the perp and email it to any email you provide.

I have heard that IAlertU is no longer being supported, but the source code was made open source and that there are better alternatives out there now using IAlertU's source....only I can't find any of those alternatives.

I haven't had any problems but worth posting in case someone does have the problem. I have become a Mac fan the past few weeks. So right now.. I am Linux/Mac as a #1 tie and Windows behind at #3. (No, there is #2 because Windows isn't even that close). I am only still using Windows at work until I find a feasible way to convert my roboform passwords into KeePass (or KeePassX for Linux/Mac) format without the headache. I spent hours on it yesterday without success. I cannot believe there isn't a converter that actually works. It's all really absurd.

What flavor of koolaid do you want?

Orange Koolaid Please!!!

steve_koolaid2.jpg

Ahhh. Thanks Steve!

Oh noes! Indoctrinated! The first sign? You confuse fruit punch with orange...

Seriously, ever seen Terminator? This is the future you (Mac users) have wrought.

I, for one, welcome our shiny new metallic overlords.

Back on topic though, I have a question.

I have a bootcamp partition set up that I rarely use. The last time I booted into it was quite awhile ago. I do, however, use it occasionally to run Parallels with. Occasionally (I'd say 1 out of 3 boots) this partition takes a long time (2-5 minutes) to recognize within OS X and mount on my desktop. When it is doing this, my entire machine is sloooooow until it finally recognizes it then it runs just fine.

Anyone ever had a problem like this? I've removed and re-added the partition twice now (not for this issue though) and each time the issue manifests itself again.

Who'd have thought that my Mac would slow down when I introduced it to Windows.

Password Manager (not free but worth the cost) 1Passwd

The cool thing about this $35 dollar app is that the iphone appstore version is free and can wirelessly sync with your Mac version so you can automatically log into websites on your iphone. This thing is what I've been looking for. No, it isn't free but does solve my biggest problem moving to the Mac which I have to do now that my Vista system has stopped booting (hard drive problem).

• 2 weeks later...

New one I accidentally discovered:

Apple Key + Tilde (~) alt-tabs between windows in the current program.

So say you have a popup open in Firefox and you want to switch to it, Apple + Tilde does that while Apple + Tab switches between programs.

• 4 weeks later...

Taking Screenshots in MAC OS-X

http://guides.macrumors.com/Taking_Screenshots_in_Mac_OS_X

Shortcuts

• Command-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it as a file on the desktop
  • Command-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it as a file on the desktop
  • Command-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it as a file on the desktop
  • Command-Control-Shift-3: Take a screenshot of the screen, and save it to the clipboard
  • Command-Control-Shift-4, then select an area: Take a screenshot of an area and save it to the clipboard
  • Command-Control-Shift-4, then space, then click a window: Take a screenshot of a window and save it to the clipboard

In Leopard, the following keys can be held down while selecting an area (via Command-Shift-4 or Command-Control-Shift-4):

• Space, to lock the size of the selected region and instead move it when the mouse moves
  • Shift, to resize only one edge of the selected region
  • Option, to resize the selected region with its center as the anchor point

• 2 weeks later...

XSlimmer

It clears unused languages and code out of Applications. I only turned on the "Languages" option (meaning I didn't remove PowerPC code from anything) and saved nearly 2gig of space and some apps actually do open faster.

Well worth checking out in my opinion. Only $12 for a license.

• 4 months later...