GC needs games!

Flitterkill

I have been busy today, but if you want to find out how to make a private wow server just search youtube for "private wow server" (sheesh you can find anything now days on youtube)

I haven't played WoW in over a year and a half. However the last time I did play it was on the Rockstar server in Canada. What is cool about a private server is you can make level 100 toons and Solo places like Kara...make your own uber weapons and armor using the WoW model viewer.

The downside to it is exactly what Voodoo said. It gets very buggy. You need a GM online all the time just to keep order. Some missions won't work (however you can make your own).

With a private server you can make it just like the Blizzard setup (same speed leveling and loot just like Blizzard) or you can make it so extreme that you level to 70 after one quest.

Anyway search youtube "private wow server" and it will show you how to make a server in 5 to 10 min.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point, I would say Scopeless would be far better suited to switching back to TF2. I don't see Scopeless working, we have a different group of people now and CS doesn't seem to be holding the interest that it used to. Last time there was buzz about it, people were posting in the forums and the whole nine yards...now, I can post calling people to come in and play, and people don't even look at it. Lightning just doesnt seem to wanna strike twice.

shrug

http://www.element-wow.com/index-main.html

Dedicated Server Specifications

Server #1:

Processors: Intel Xeon Quad Core Processor x2 (8 cores @ 2.5ghz each)

RAM: 8192MB DDR2

Hard Drives: 4x 73GB Seagate Cheetah 15k.5 SCSI Hard Drives (RAID 0 for performance)

Network Speed: 2x 1Gbit ports on a 100Gbit mix (See bottom for Carriers)

Operating System: Windows Server 2003 Enterpise x64 Edition

Use: Runs the Fire US server / Webserver

Server #2:

Processor: AMD Opteron 8212 (2 cores @ 2.0GHz each)

RAM: 8192MB DDR2

Hard Drive: Seagate Cheetah 147GB SCSI Hard Drives (RAID 0) for Superior Performance

Network Speed: Direct 1Gbit connection to Server #1, No External Access

Use: Internal SQL Server (Ultra Secure Database Server)

Server #3:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quadro q6600 (4 Cores @ 2.4ghz each, 2x4MB Cache)

RAM: 4096MB DDR2

Hard Drive: 2x 500GB Western Digital Caviar SE16 7200RPM SATAII in RAID 0

Network Speed: 1Gbit Verio / PCCW

Use: Fire EU Server

Server #4:

Processors: Intel Xeon Dual Processor, Quad Core e5320 (8 Cores @ 1.86ghz each)

RAM: 6144MB DDR2

Hard Drives: Seagate Cheetah 147GB 15,000RPM SCSI Hard Drive for Quick Page Loads, 1000GB Hitachi Hard Drive for File Storage and Downloads.

Network Speed: 1Gbit Port (Cogent)

Operating System: Fedora Core 5 w/ cPanel & WHM

Use: Main Webserver and File Host

Network (North America)

The 130Gbit/s Network Includes Multi-homed Connections from the Following Providers:

* AT&T

* SAVVIS

* XEEX

* PCCW

* VERIO

* Tiscali

* AboveNet

* Internap

* Level 3

* Time Warner Telecom

* XO

* Hurricane Electric

This completely redundant network ensures that your ping (Latency In-game) is stable and consistant, as our fast network has excellent routing to the United States, Canada, and Mexico.

Network (Europe)

The 142Gbit Mix Includes Multi-homed Connections from the Following Providers:

* AMS-IX 4 x 10Gbps

* BNIX 1 x 10Gbps

* DE-CIX 1 x 10Gbps

* Abovenet 7 x 1Gbps

* Global Crossing 2 x 10Gbps

* KPN Eurorings 1 x 10Gbps + 2 x 1Gbps

* Teleglobe / VSNL 1 x 10Gbps + 2 x 1Gbps

* TeliaSonera 2 x 10Gbps + 4 x 1Gbps

* NYIIX 1 x 1Gbps

* VIX 1 x 1Gbps

* NETNOD 2 x 1Gbps

* PL-IX 1 x 1Gbps

* Swissix 1 x 1Gbps

* NIX 1 x 1Gbps

This completely redundant network ensures that your ping (Latency In-game) is stable and consistant, as our fast network has excellent routing to Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Belgium, and surrounding areas.

Two Words: Zombie Panic

Free if you have HL2/CSS/TF2 and now available on steam.

Been playing it all weekend!

That game doesnt do much for me, but Age of Chivalry has sparked my curiosity....we could beat each other with maces, and gut one another with swords...and oh yeah, for the pansy awpers who like to stay far out of harms way and pick people off...there are archers! :P

That game doesnt do much for me, but Age of Chivalry has sparked my curiosity....we could beat each other with maces, and gut one another with swords...and oh yeah, for the pansy awpers who like to stay far out of harms way and pick people off...there are archers! :P

That does look fun. Reminds me of Battlegrounds...a game set during the revolutionary war. Mo and I had a blast hunting one another down.

The pro about these types of games are simple...there isn't many servers out there. And those that do have servers are so full that you have to wait in line to get in.

Dude, I would so own you all.

Shaftiel

Why couldnt we do both? This Chivalry game looks like it also incorporates teamplay as you can fight them back and ravage their kingdoms :D

May as well experiment with something like this on the Scopeless box, cuz as I said earlier in the thread...there doesnt seem to be any interest like we had before, and I dont think campaigning to get people to play there will amount to more than a night here or there with a decent turnout. Wish it were different, it isnt.

I would be up for switching to this mod on scopeless.

I have done a little bit of the WOW private server thing and also the small valve/steam addon games like Battlefield and the like.

There are positives to both.

WoW servers...you can make it just like Blizzard or you can design it to be uber leveling. And yes, as wayfarer said...you will make lots of money on it. It is amazing how many people play this game outside of Blizzard.

Addon Games. Tons of pros here too. With certain games they are very popular but not many servers. For instance, Battlefield 2 (a revolutionary war game) was very popular and they only had 5 servers or more running with all of them Full and people waiting in line. This is a very quick fix to get people into the community without much work. You are one out of 5 or more servers advertising and mind you a couple of those servers are private from some dude wanting to play the game. There is a downside to this though...sometimes certain addon games lose interest quickly. So make sure you find one to stick with for a few months and then maybe move to the "next big thing".

ps. I agree with Clueless. Why not try out both. Start up with a temp time and see how it goes.

Like before, we would need LAs willing to spend the time to nuture it. Is that something you and/or Shep would be willing to do?

I'm not worried as much about the cash aspect of it as I am growing the community. We're not growing in sequence with the gaming industry.

Like before, we would need LAs willing to spend the time to nuture it. Is that something you and/or Shep would be willing to do?

I'm not worried as much about the cash aspect of it as I am growing the community. We're not growing in sequence with the gaming industry.

Some of you may find this laughable but I helped with cs source first came out. Given I liked the game enough, I would help with it. I would do the same with TF2 if you guys went back to it. To be honest, TF2 is on the downz right now and if were to be considered, I would wait until the next patch which would also upgrade a character which would bring a whole bunch of people back. We get the server updated immediately with it playing only the newest map(s) and it will fill and can potentially stay full. It worked with us in A2. The problem right now is the beginning of the school year and many of our members are off doing new things (myself included).

GC Alumni
(edited)

If we are willing to get a WoW server going (I won't say anything negative based on what SJ said earier) I would be willing to GM it. I have a decent amount of time and such. If we do get one and it become a huge hit somehow... that would be pretty sweet.

Edited by JackieChan

What about the moral issue with WoW? You're ruining people's lives. It's like selling drugs, no? You make lots of money off of them and they pay for it. Pun intended. :yellowbiggrinsqr:

I'll quote Anonymo from many moons ago, who I believe stated it best: "WoW is why we can't have nice things."

I think it would be a good idea to concentrate on games that a decent chunk of our members play. I know it's a little tough since fewer of us are playing CS these days and some of the newer games have been more of a flash-in-the-pan type support. It would be great if a WoW server could bring in more money for the GC community, but for what would that extra revenue be used? Probably more of a board-related decision, but it ought to be considered.

I think the best thing would be for people to continue putting game ideas out there in this thread and see how many of our members/regulars play each. If we find a common thread and those folks think the game has staying power (at least in the relatively short term) then we ought to consider putting up a dedicated server.

I know I've been delinquent in my community activity from a gaming standpoint (especially since I sold my dedicated gaming rig) but I definitely think we ought to try to find something that will help fill the void that is slowly being vacated by CSS defections and ancillary games flaming out (gg with UT3, Epic).

GC Board Member

Keep in mind that for the moment, finances are not a problem - that is, we do not *need* to make money.

We have the room, the means, and the need to grow the community; esp. now that we have dropped our COD and UT servers and our online presence has been reduced.

Nothing wrong with rolling with a server for a month or two for the community to scratch an itch - sometimes those itches can lead to longer term things, if not, that's fine too.

If we want a server to succeed beyond a month or two we need not just GC members wanting to play it, but in having an active *DEDICATED* lead who will not get bored of the game in a few weeks and then kinda sorta stop being the lead without telling anybody.

Even if we have only one or two people interested in a game type, if those members have the dedication to lead a server and put in the effort to make it roll, we get the payback in new GC members. More people to play with who aren't idiots? I doubt any of us have a problem with that :)

A larger issue here, and SJ kinda put it on the map in the 3rd post, is this: is there anything else we can do to help you guys out beyond new servers, and, if we are seeing a shift into console gaming over PC from our members, again, what do you need/want us to do?

-Fk