What settings do you recommend for me? I just reinstalled CSS

Old cruddy comp, VERY fast fiberoptic cable:

Netgraph 3 shows

FPS: 25

In: 4880

Out: 70

Choke: 200

Ping: 32

As you can see, I am "lagging" horribly. Whats going wrong here?

thx for the posts guys. yes, I know that the choke is what is causing the lag, I want to know what settings will fix it?

HeyZD! System is old. Cant remember. I think Asus MB, AMD 2600, 1GB Ram, Radeon 9800Pro 256MB.

The problem just started when my steam quit working, so I un-re-installed Steam with CSS.

So...settings prob or do I need to totally reformat my comp. Its only been a year or so since I did a total reformat.

You probably had a custom config for your cs that made it run better fps wise. You seriously need a system upgrade though. Not sure how much better your fps can be made. Make sure that AA is disabled in the advanced video settings and turn down all of the other stuff in there such as shadows and what not. I think they are turned on by default with a fresh install of Steam.

You probably had a custom config for your cs that made it run better fps wise. You seriously need a system upgrade though. Not sure how much better your fps can be made. Make sure that AA is disabled in the advanced video settings and turn down all of the other stuff in there such as shadows and what not. I think they are turned on by default with a fresh install of Steam.

this sounds like a good place to start. ill check my vid card settings and tweak the in-game menus. anyone wanna post up a good config file, or settings?

I haven't been playing CSS much but ive been popping in now and then recently. I had the same problem, jump in and pwnd by everyone. Not saying that I'm any good anyways, but I play for the fun. If I get to kill M2 or some of you other guys, then it was all worth it. :biglaugha:

So I got to looking around for some tweaks and what not and found this autoconfig. I think its from like 2006 but its CAL specs and I get from the 90's to like 120's and 130's in fps and no choke. It might work well with that system without having to fork out any cash for now. It works pretty good for me but I'm running dual core and an 8800gts 320mb.

Here ya go, and if there are any issues with this, please feel free to let me know. I don't want to be running anything thats going to give me problems. So you big guns out there from the GC post up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

// Casey's Config v2 (CAL compliant)

// Updated for new season by CAL|Stone

// Updated 01/23/07 - Added misc settings section

//_Set Netcode vars_

cl_cmdrate "101"

cl_interp "0.01"

cl_interpolate "1"

cl_lagcomp_errorcheck "0" // Disables lagcompensation error checking, only needed if you're having any registration/loss/choke problems.

cl_lagcompensation "1"

cl_smooth "1"

cl_updaterate "101"

rate "25000"

//_Set MP vars_

mp_decals "0" // How many player sprays will be shown.

//_Set Client vars_

cl_drawmonitors "0" // Disables the rendering of ingame "monitors" which contain 3d rendered images.

cl_ejectbrass "0" // Disables brass ejection

cl_forcepreload "1" // Forces the game to load all texture and model information into memory on map load.

cl_phys_props_enable "1" // Enables phsyics props.

cl_phys_props_max "50" // Maximum amount of physics props allowed.

cl_ragdoll_physics_enable "0" // Disables ragdoll.

cl_restrict_server_commands "0" // Compatible/needed with serverplugins

cl_show_splashes "0" // Disables water splashes.

//_Set Render vars_

r_3dsky "0" // Disables the rendering of 3d sky boxes.

r_decal_cullsize "9999" // Any decals under this size are not rendered.

r_decals "0" // Disables decals.

r_drawbatchdecals "1" // Enables the rendering of decals in batch.

r_drawdetailprops "1" // Enables the rendering of detail props.

r_drawflecks "0" // Disables the sparks and dirt from bullet impacts.

r_drawmodeldecals "0" // Models decals (i.e. blood).

r_eyes "0" // Disables eyes in models.

r_lod "-1" // Different level of details on models. -1 = Variable at distance. 0 = None. 1 = Minor. 2 = Less minor.

r_modellodscale "1.0" // The transitioning power of LOD.

r_occlusion "0" // Enables the Model Occlusion system.

r_propsmaxdist "100" // Max distance at which props are rendered.

r_renderoverlayfragment "0"

r_rootlod "2" // Base lod of the model in the memory.

r_shadowmaxrendered "32" // Max shadows the game will render.

r_shadowrendertotexture "1" // Rendered the shadow texture causing it to match the player model.

r_shadows "1" // Enables shadows (Change be disabled for additional performance.)

r_teeth "0" // Disables teeth in models.

r_waterdrawreflection "0" // Disables the rendering of water reflections.

r_waterforceexpensive "0" // Forces cheap water.

gl_clear "0" // Disables the gl_clear convariable.

props_break_max_pieces "0" // Disables prop fragmenting

//_Set Materials vars_

mat_antialias "0" // Disables the use of multisampling to smooth out edges.

mat_bumpmap "0" // Disables bump mapping.

mat_clipz "0" // Disables optimized Z-Buffer rendering.

mat_compressedtextures "1" // Disables texture compression. Users with low amounts of system memory should turn this on.

mat_disable_bloom "1" // Disables bloom effects.

mat_hdr_enabled "0" // Disables HDR.

mat_hdr_level "0" // Double Disables HDR.

mat_mipmaptextures "1" // Enables the use of mipmapping to make textures look smooth.

mat_monitorgamma "1.6" // Lower the number the brighter the screen. Only works in fullscreen.

mat_picmip "2" // Changes the resolutions of textures when they're loaded into memory. May improve FPS on graphics cards with low memory sizes.

mat_reducefillrate "1" // Reduces the fillrate when the game is run in DXLevel 8.

mat_specular "0" // Disables Specularity on objects.

mat_trilinear "0" // Disables the use of Trilinear mipmapping.

mat_wateroverlaysize "8" // Sets the resolution of water distortion. Must be multiple of 8.

//_Set Violence vars_

violence_ablood "1"

violence_agibs "1"

violence_hblood "1"

violence_hgibs "1"

//_Set HUD vars_

hud_centerid "1" // Centers player IDs

net_graph "3" // Enables net_graph (Required in SS round)

net_graphpos "2" // Adjusts netgraph position-set between 1 and 3.

//_Set Misc settings_

cl_downloadfilter "nosounds" // Disables annoying pub sound downloads

fps_max "101" // Caps framerate. Set to max monitor refresh rate + 1.

jpeg_quality "100" // High quality screenshots

clear

echo _Casey's Config v2 (CAL compliant) loaded_

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Primus