tires

auggybendoggy

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tiretech.jsp Everything you will ever need to know about tires. =]

I personally always get sport tires because I push my cars fairly hard. It's just a matter of preference. I think more expensive tires are worth it. Too many people underestimate the importance of good tires. Remember that your tires are the ONLY thing touching the road. This means that they effect every aspect of your cars movement. So take good care of them!

I can't tell you what tires are best, there's a lot of factors involved but if you ask me.. Yes, spending a little more on quality tires is worth it. Most likely they will last a whole lot longer. =]

As for advice...

1) Always keep your tires inflated.

2) Use a penny to check the remaining thread on your tires. If you can see the presidents head then your tires are still fine.

You'll be fine as long as you do those two.

Yes, better tires cost more, and they are well worth it. I don't know what kind of car you have, but as a general rule, you want to stick with what it calls for as far as size and speed rating. Do not deviate more than 5% in size, especially important on cars with ABS. Your speedo will also be off beyond that. As far as speed ratings go....the higher the performance, the less the mileage. Unless the car is set up for a performance tire, you really aren't going to gain much, and on the other side of that coin, if the car calls for a higher rating, don't step down from that...the suspensions and braking systems are closely matched on todays cars with the tires that the factory calls for. And biggest no-no...NEVER mix speed ratings...there have been accidents because someone had tires that gripped differently on the front than the back, causing the car to be irratic and unpredictable in slick conditions.

Other than that, do some reading, educate yourself, it's never good to go into a tire store dumb...because sometimes the guy behind the counter is too...and you want the right stuff :)

Avoid online retailers like Tirerack...sure, the prices look good...until you add shipping, then you have to haul them to a place to get mounted, and they usually don't like mounting competitors tires, so they don't cut you a break. The biggest reason though, if you get them done locally, most shops offer free rotations, which is NEEDED every 5000mi or you will not get the life out of your tires. With the cost of mounting, balancing, and rotations...you will quickly see your online savings disappear. Most dealers offer Road Hazard packages as well, and that usually includes lifetime balancing, this is a few extra bucks, but if you pick up the occasional nail or screw, it is a great thing to have, ask about it.

Lastly..avoid the discount chains like Tire Kingdom, NTB, and Walmart....these places are full of young, underpaid guys, that really aren't that knowledgeable in most cases. I have had MANY vehicles come to me with incorrect tire sizes and lug nuts that were put on way too tight with impact guns....they should be torqued properly..period. Firestone and Goodyear still has some of the same issues, but the counter staff is usually more knowledgeable and if they are watching their guys, you should be ok. The best scenario is a good local shop. You can usually spot a good one by the size and condition of the place. A clean, organized place usually means the owner cares about detail, and doing a good job. Those places usually pay their people more, therefore have higher quality employees.

Good luck, happy hunting!

Clueless's advice is very good. Follow that!

I'll add a lil' of my own. I work for a company that invents/designs/builds machines that deal primarily in tire testing, and as a result I've learned a heck of a lot about tires.

Buying the cheapest tires they have is a bad move yes. The reason I say so, is they tend not to wear well, they are made from hard, low hysteresis compounds (traction not so hot), and they're manufactured with less quality control. I'll give you an example: Goodyear has a plant in China. Do you think the China plant makes their high-end stuff? Heck no! That plant has been shut down several times due to quality control issues and Goodyear is thinking about keeping it closed.

Right now my wife has Goodyear Assurance Triple-Treads on her Grand Prix GT. She got these tires with around 40k on her car, and she is now around 108,000 miles. These tires still look brand new, the tread is in excellent shape, and the rubber has not hardened to the point where they need replacing. I expect another year to go by with those tires.

A few helpful hints when considering brands coming straight from my boss who knows tires better than most people in the world (he literally travels all over the world just to talk about tires to people who pay him to do it):

Michellin's are some of his favorite tires. The upside is that they get great traction and a nice quiet ride. However, the downside is that their tread-life is not typically as good as the competition.

Goodyear has some of the most technologically advanced tires in the world. The downside to buying Goodyear is that their low-end tires are not so hot.

Bridgestone/Firestone, contrary to popular belief does make good tires--but you have to be very careful with what you pick as they do make very crappy tires as well.

Kumho tires are fairly new to the US game and they make some decent performance tires. However, they tend to be more concerned with looks than performance and some of their tires suffer for it. They do make a few sets of good tires though.

Hankook--I don't like Hankook. Their tires aren't so hot, and their company has recently screwed my company out of $160,000

You get the idea--there are a lot of brands. I'd be able to give you some specific models if you tell me what kind of car you're driving on them with. :)

You get what you pay for. I like Michelin tires...it all depends on what type of car you are putting them on be it a SUV or a little prius.

I have BFGoodwrench on one of my vehichles and Yokohama Geolanders on another. But like I said before, I like Michelin's. When these tires I have now wear out, I more than likely will get something different.

thanks guys,

I'll def take your advice on this. My tire knowledge in the past is as good as my politics. Not soo good :)

Aug

NP, good luck! Let us know what you decide on! (oh, and Assurance tires from Goodyear come with a 15 day trial period..or is it 30? Anyway, if you get them and don't like 'em, you can take 'em back)