For those that monitor ketones for fat burning

MrDuke

I think I found a blood ketone tester. No more urine testing and 4 hr delay times!

Ran 3 miles after a big dinner and you aren't sure if you are in ketosis? No problem. Test and run that extra mile before bedtime if you need to!

I'm working on getting some coupons for free meters. PM me if you want one.

In a healthy, non-diabetic adult, testing for ketones= making sure you are burning fat and losing weight.

After you burn your free roaming glucose (created by any carbs you consumed) your body turns to fat for fuel, with ketones being one of the by-products. Since the empirical rule of fuel consumption is glucose>fat>protein, you must burn almost all of your glucose before you can burn fat.

Ex: if you've been exercising and burning fat and you eat a candy bar with 100grams of sugar, your body immediately stops burning fat and switches to the candy bar. (All you biochem majors can double check my math) At 4.5cal/gram and 100 grams, that's 450 calories of carbs you have to burn (4hrs) before you go back to fat burning.

Until recently, you had to use urine pass test strips to see if you had any ketones present. Since you only pee every so often, that isn't a very efficient method (especially if you squat like Fatty). Now you can use a meter and know exactly where you stand... or squat.

• 2 weeks later...

I am interested. to be honest half the time I have no idea what my body is burning at the time. I wouldnt use it until I started getting into my excersize routine which I have been putting off. blood weenieing may suck but at least I can get an idea if i am making progress :P

Ok Pinky, I'll explain it to you.

The meter that reads the test strips is free (normally $60), but the strips you put the blood on and insert into the meter cost $5 each ($50/box of 10).

If you've been eyeing a new pair of pumps and would rather not spend $50 on ketone strips, you can buy urine ketone strips for about $10. Not as accurate, but cheaper... and you get the new shoes!

Ok, I have the ability to get 4 meters free. You will still be responsible for buying the test strips (that plug into the meter) which are $50 for 10 strips.

As long as you know you're paying $5 each time you want to know your ketone levels, I'll get you a meter.

Who wants one?