Factory installed 32bit to 64bit Vista

anonymo

So I finally did the update of my 32bit system to 64bit. I had been reluctant to get this done as I was under the impression that I would actually have talk to someone at Lenovo (my laptop manufacturer) or MS to order 64bit media and reactivate my copy of Vista.

Turns out it's much easier than I ever thought.

Here is a really well written step by step that will have you running Vista 64 (or 32) in no time.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=144783

While it is written for laptops, it seems like the process would be the same on a desktop. You obviously have to have a valid copy of Vista and the 64bit media

I had toyed with the idea of 64-bit Vista on my laptop, but I don't think it would be worth the hassle. Combine that with the fact that I'm currently between backup solutions at the moment, and no go :(

Good tutorial though and definitely helpful for the mobile users of the community. Good find!

Where did you get the 64-bit media though? I have zero (0) media with my Dell (backup partition) so this might be an issue.

I had toyed with the idea of 64-bit Vista on my laptop, but I don't think it would be worth the hassle. Combine that with the fact that I'm currently between backup solutions at the moment, and no go :(

Good tutorial though and definitely helpful for the mobile users of the community. Good find!

Where did you get the 64-bit media though? I have zero (0) media with my Dell (backup partition) so this might be an issue.

I got it where you think I got it, y'ar.

Also, holy blazes is this baby fast without all the bloatware etc.

anonymo, you did an upgrade to 64bit or a reformat and install to 64bit?

Reformat and clean install. Another plus to not using the manufacturer's install discs is obviously that you don't install all their bloatware and boy does Lenovo like its bloatware.

Cool, initially I thought you were able to just "upgrade" to 64bit from 32bit. My initial reaction to that was "Wait? You can do that?". My second reaction was "Wait? Why would you even want to do that?" If an upgrade from XP to Vista is crappy (trust me, that's what I did on this computer to "save time") then I can only imagine the problems you'll get from a 32- to 64-bit upgrade.

Cool, initially I thought you were able to just "upgrade" to 64bit from 32bit. My initial reaction to that was "Wait? You can do that?". My second reaction was "Wait? Why would you even want to do that?" If an upgrade from XP to Vista is crappy (trust me, that's what I did on this computer to "save time") then I can only imagine the problems you'll get from a 32- to 64-bit upgrade.

Actually my initial attempt to hook up two identical laptops running x32 with crossover cables ended badly so I said "forget upgrading"

Actually my initial attempt to hook up two identical laptops running x32 with crossover cables ended badly so I said "forget upgrading"

piksures or it di-int happun.

dweezil what issues di you experience? Currently I can not get my upgrade from XP to vista ultimate past the initial reboot at 21% of expanding phase. A blue scrren appears and says that a problem has occurred. I have tried all of the steps suggested but is continuing to fail. On restart though, i am able to load XP just fine. I ran mcafee prior to removing it, and it found no viruses.

Edited by lostoften