Darkfall

NOFX

I've been running around with my crew and so far I mostly only have positive things to say about the game.. the more I play the more I really like the game.

I'm guessing the devs have only 20% or less of the mobs in. We found a killer spawn and was getting some sweet gear. Gaining all kinds of skill.. I'm not dying as much as I thought I would, I've been ganked a few times, but it's all good, nothing you have is really worth anything anyway. Yesterday we also ventured into another races territory. You can hear ppl a good ways off, so we used crouch, snuck up on them.. There were 3 of them at a mob, 2 of us attacked from the left, 3 from the right.. very ninja like..

I absolutely love the rules of the game. I really haven't had this much fun on a mmo since Ultima Online. The type of sword you have means nothing. A sword is a sword, like it should be. No "sword of badass" running around chopping everyone down.

And you always people talking about grind in these games.. well, so far I have not seen any grind at all. I think level based games introduced this.. You can play darkfall with a grind if you want, but if you just play the game you won't notice any grind at all. I'm having a blast killing other races, looting their gear, hording regs and gear from mobs.

You can play the game however you want. You can start muling and get enough materials to build a boat, go out and buy all the equipment and skills to create potions, create weapons. Learn taming to create yourself a mount.

There is none of the crap where you have to be a specific level and have had to do the same quests everyone else before you did to advance. It's a sandbox and you can do whatever you want. I think I'm going to be hooked on this for a while..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)

A few more things I will add..

I played WoW for a month or so. I played AoC for a month or so and I played Warhammer for about a month. They were all the same and I was quite disappointed by all of them. This is far superior to any of them.

I will also add the map is HUGE. I'm not sure how long it would take to run across the continent, I'm guessing 5 hours? 6 hours? in a direct line... I honestly don't think you could ever explore the whole thing. Well maybe you could, but it would take a very long time.. And there are also islands as well as really large islands some other races start on(I think). there are banks located randomly throughout the map. Just for an example of how big the place is. There is a bank close to my bindstone. It looks like it is close on the map, but its about a 20 minute run..

I'm trying to think of stuff I can share, if you have any questions ask away, I'd be happy to give my insight.

Edited by .fx

(edited)

I don't know off the top of my head, but there are alot... You get faster as you play.. your always running, so run is a skill. there is sprint, crouch, swim, rest. I haven't see climb yet. You have skills for each type of weapon. the more you use an axe, the better you will get with axes. Magic is a little weird. You have different schools of magic and many spells within each school. Not only do you gain skill in the specific spell, you also gain skill in the entire school.

so none of this. I'm level 35, since I've been grinding for a year I get to go buy this spell and own. Go buy your skill and use it. If you use it enough, you will have a high skill level and do some damage, but unlike other mmo's. You don't target and spam the keyboard. If you don't have much experience fighting, then you might just get owned by someone with half your skill..

Edited by .fx

Can you macro skills like in UO?

like unclean said, there are already ppl using external programs for making when afk..

Back in the day with UO.. I wrote a script that I would let me GM eval within 2-3 days. I would hop on a boat.. the script would cast using a scroll, if I hit land, he would say a few commands to make sure it wasn't a rock and then turn around. ah the good ole days.. I'm sure there are tons of bugs and stuff right now that are exploitable. And if you live on the east coast, I only have a 110-145 ping to the server, I don't feel like I'm lagging at all.

I still think the game is going to be released on the 25th... There are alot of people whining on the forums.. People are mad that they can't kill mobs that drop level 40 gear when they have level 40 in a given weapon skill.. lol.. It's hard for people to get out of the level based mindset. Sure you have the same rank weapon as what it drops, but what the hell does that mean? mobs don't have levels.. also all the newbs running around have no more than 30 strength(which directly impacts the damage you do). People are wanting everything handed to them and have a view that it has an "end game"...

They are attempting to grind up weapon rank 100 and then they think they can kill everything.. I can't wait until people start getting into the higher level skills. Still, everyone is running around with noob skills. People have only got the first couple of skills into greater magic...and they cost regs to cast.. We are all poor and don't have unlimited amounts of regs and gold to buy regs, so I see this is going to be a very slow progression..

the pre-order link went live about 2 hours ago for the beta testers.. it got leaked quickly and the site's down. I haven't been able to pre-order yet.

They are only doing a limited release and a limited pre-order, who knows if they will sale more than the 10k concurrent users the server can handle. This is a small software company and a small group of developers who created this game and I personally think they did an awesome job..

As of now there is only going to be one server on release and it's located in Germany. They said they will eventually put up a US server, but who knows when? My guess is a year or so.. I've been playing the game almost 3 weeks and I still plan on giving them money and starting fresh again on the 25th. I want to get in early and quick because I've got a little advantage in that I know what I need to do and where I need to go to start gaining skill before the noobs show up.

oh yea jackie the NDA has been lifted, so you can find out tons more information now than you could a couple days ago.

Edited by .fx

just to give you an idea of what's going on today.. Tasos gave beta testers a 2 hour head start to pre-order the game. Testers leaked the link and it was down within 30 minutes. Here is his latest update as of 2pm today.

The Pre-Order structure is being hammered beyond any possible expectation. There's an impossible number of connections per second even now. We are seeing 20 times the traffic estimated. Our web servers are able to handle quite a bit of load, even so, they are currently taxed to their limits. This wasn't anything we could have reasonably anticipated.

We're looking into the reported UK error and we'll open up again.

We'll extend your lead time but I don't know how helpful that's going to be with the link having leaked. We expected it to be leaked, however, we didn't expect there would be such a response in the first place.

We've already started working on upgrading web server capacity yet again to be able to handle a launch rush should it be anything like this.

We apologize but we're doing everything we can.

Post issues in here, we will try to deal with them as they appear. Please refrain from starting new threads about this and only post relevant issues.

I got a feeling they will sell way more than they were expecting and probably stop taking orders until they can get another server up.

Some guilds are bringing 500+ people into the game... they should have let the beta testers pre-order this better.. I'm going to be tinkleed If I can't buy the game I've been playing for 3 weeks.

Edited by .fx

I was able to slip through and preorder over the weekend. Woohoo!

Also, I am very stupid. Let me tell you why. I browse the Darkfall forums quite often, but I rarely log in - usually only to post. Well I logged in on Friday and noticed that I could see the freaking beta forums. At first I was just like "ohh they opened up the beta forums for everyone now that the NDA is lifted." Then I looked under my name on one of my posts and noticed it said I was a beta tester.

I had not updated my email address on the forums and had missed my friggin' beta invitation email. laksdjflkasjdflkasdjfaldkjf I was kicking myself all day for that one. Here is a picture of me when I realized what had happened: Beta Surprise

ahh.... glad to see you got through, but man I'd be kicking myself all day on that one. If you get your hands on the client you should be able to go ahead and log in with your beta name.. but of course the servers are only coming up for an hour or so at the most now that we are within a few days of release.

yea I got myself logged in yesterday, but the server was so out of sync, I couldn't do anything. Word of advice, get out of the newbie areas ASAP. Farm enough gold to get your second newbiew weapon slot open from a vendor.. everyone starts ut with a leaf blade.. Polearms, two handed swords and great axes have a much farther distance on how far you have to be away from your opponent to hit them. Also get a the newbie staff.. You can cast mana missle without regs. I got my lesser magic and mana missle up to 100 just by macroing a few days.. this is also good because it will raise your int and wisdom. go mine or chop wood to bring up your strength.

• 2 weeks later...

i don't think it's quite an oblivian MMO... I only got into oblivion for a little bit so I it's kind of hard to compare. The game isn't polished and shiny. It doesn't really hold your hand and tell you what to do.

Example: When you go to buy a new spell, it only tells you what level you have to be to buy it. You don't know what regs are required until you try to cast.

The PvP is a little clunky at first, but if you get good at it you can own. Alot of mmo players aren't used to fps style games and are used to selecting a target and just hitting the keys. Having to aim makes your personal skill influence the outcome of the fight. You have to get away from the populated areas, if you don't you will get killed constantly. Even if you get away from them, people will always attack you on sight. Just be prepared to fight at all times..

I recalled into town last night, as I went to bank my stuff there was a human waiting on the other side to gank the next person to bank. I bank my bag of goodies took a few hits from him and rather than run, I just held my ground, fought him and he died. Running almost never let's you get away, unless you got a good headstart.