HDTV

ZeroDamage

My current TV is flaking out. Looks like I will need to replace it when my tax return happens. These are the details of my current TV and I am looking for input on a potential replacement.

My current TV is a large projection based TV that supports up to 480p. It is 53 inches and I use the built in audio which is really good.

I think I am looking for something close to the same size but can be slightly smaller. I def want 1080p and as high as possible quality. No Walmart brand trash. I will probably also need to grab a moderately decent sound system. I would rather avoid Plasma but am open to the newer projections depending on price, etc.

Help a ZD out?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give me a rough working budget? There are LOTS of options that would fit the criteria you have given thus far. Off hand I would recommend Sony and Samsung as the best LCD choices, with Sharp a very close second. The internal speakers are pretty decent on most of these new ones, but that depends on what you are using the TV for. I have a Yamaha HTIB (home theater in a box) that is surprisingly good in sound quality and features and was around $450 when I bought it. Anyways, tell me what you will be using it for and a rough working budget and you'll get the best options for you :)

I just bought the Sharp Aquos LC46D85U but I certainly didn't pay what Sharp is asking for it (hundreds less actually).

Amazing panel, everything you could want in a TV (well except PiP but who uses that anyways?)

I recommend sticking with LCD and one of Sharp/Sony or Samsung.

If you're coming from a 53" 4:3 the only thing comparable to that size is a 65" 16:9, something you're not going to find in your price range. Anyways, have a look around and let us know what you're thinking and we'll do our best to offer whatever help we can.

Somebody told me this was a "Hot Deal"

http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC46D65U...7397&sr=8-2

Sharp Aquos 46" 1080p LCD HDTV

MSRP (According to Amazon): $1500

Now: $1077

Also, you get free shipping + "White-Glove Delivery"

In fact, on Amazon, if you search for "Sharp aquos 46", the first three search results (including the one I just posted) all have around 25-30 percent off MSRP.

If for some reason you go plasma, I recommend Panasonic. My Panasonic Viera 50" is over 2 years old now and is still has an awesome picture. Downside to plasmas is they are power hungry compared to LCDs.

Also go to a few places in town and check out all the sets side by side. Get some descent sound to go with it too, it kills me when people drop $1500 or more on a TV nowadays and just use the built in speakers. At least add a standalone sub if anything.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...mp;Tpk=ln40a650

What I got for my apt, may go up a few inches or a model number if you want something a little more snazzy, but picture quality is probably the best you can get. IMO.

And you can't beat the Egg price... anywhere.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16889102198

Is the 46" version.. if you really want a bigger TV, personally I think it may be too big, my 40" takes up plenty of room, and you can see clearly from FAR away.

I have nothing bad to say about it, but don't know where to start with good things. Plays ANY sport in HD superbly, PS3 and 1080P is AMAZINGx2, most games don't utilize all 1080P but some of the more popular ones like MGS do, and BluRay Batman makes you change your pants.. at least 3 times per hour.

They make up to an A950 now I think, and there are VERY few differences between 650 750 850 and 950. I would look them up for you and post it, but then I would be doing all the work for you, and that is just unfair.

If you are unsure about a TV, pick some out and go to your local BB and look at them in rooms, then go back and get it online, you will save $$$ tax $$ and with the Egg probably free shipping.

(edited)

Yeah, Samsung makes the best quality TV in regards to the image right now with the 120hz. The problem is finding one larger than 40 inches under $2k.

Correction, the 46 inch Samsung. That is at the top of my list at the moment.

Edited by ZeroDamage

If I were you, I would go with a 1080p LCD. I have a 56" projection LCD, which is basically the same size and weight of a DLP. The thing about these projection screens is that the bulb gets dimmer and dimmer with time. They usually have a life of 2000 hours, but work well beyond but just dimmer. Keep your eyes on slickdeals and stuff. There are always 46" LCD's coming across there sub 1k.

In all honesty I'm a firm believer 1920x1200 resolution is 1920x1200 resolution. Sure a few are a little brighter, have better contrast than the cheapest wal-mart brand, but you will be happy with any name brand. When your sitting in your living room, you won't be able to compare that tiny bit of change to the $500 more expensive TV sitting beside it in the store.

While the Samsung definitely has the best picture, it's ultimately not so much better to warrant the $300-$500 more you're going to spend getting it over the Sharp, which is why I went that way.

@M2, do you use the Aquos net at all? That's the only feature yours has that mine doesn't as far as I can tell. Also, have you noticed that Sharp says it won't accept at 1920x1080 signal over VGA? I figured out how to force it if you ever had problems with it.

FYI, my local best buy has price matched newegg for me on a couple of different occasions. The only stipulation was that they had to roll the shipping cost into the price match. I'm not sure if it's official corporate policy, but they did it for me. Might be worth a try, you could even walk out with one that same day! I would probably shy away from other smaller online retailers, however.

Projectors end up costing more in the end when you factor in the replacement bulbs which costs A LOT just by themselves.

Is the 120hz just a marketing play or what? I went to Sams-club at Christmas and saw a 120mhz lcd that was was playing Wall-e on a blue ray player. I couldn't tell much picture quality difference over it and my 720p plasma. Can anyone else tell the difference or is Wall-e just a poor movie to catch the difference? I haven't looked into the 120hz buzz cause it's gonna be a while before I buy another tv.

Are they making 120hz lcd monitors? I ditched my lcd last year and went back to crt due to the blurring but I don't think that has anything to do with refresh rate.

I'm gonna be looking for a new TV soon also, and i was at best buy the other day and saw their LED TVs. I'll tell you what, the LED had almost the nicest picture of all the TVs i looked at. And with LEDs it uses less energy, plus instead of shining light where a black color should be, it simply turns off the LEDs to give a more pure black color giving much better contrast. Just think of using you Macbooks LED screen and how nice it looks only making it a 62" screen, or whatever size you get it in.