HDTV

ZeroDamage

Projectors end up costing more in the end when you factor in the replacement bulbs which costs A LOT just by themselves.

Is the 120hz just a marketing play or what? I went to Sams-club at Christmas and saw a 120mhz lcd that was was playing Wall-e on a blue ray player. I couldn't tell much picture quality difference over it and my 720p plasma. Can anyone else tell the difference or is Wall-e just a poor movie to catch the difference? I haven't looked into the 120hz buzz cause it's gonna be a while before I buy another tv.

Are they making 120hz lcd monitors? I ditched my lcd last year and went back to crt due to the blurring but I don't think that has anything to do with refresh rate.

Really they help for things like HD sports the most, any fast moving images. They also help in games as well (obviously).

The 120hz on HDTVs is not the same as it would be on a CRT PC monitor or LCDs even. It's basically using processing on the TV's end to double the standard 60hz so that it appears to be double. So sending a 1920x1080 120hz signal probably won't work as the TV is making the image 120hz regardless of the source.

M2 might be better to answer this question as I don't have HDMI out on any of my computers to actually test if my LCD TV will accept a 120hz signal or not (as my TV won't accept anything over 1920x1080 @ 60hz over VGA)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am considering one of two options. One is the more expensive 120hz Samsung 52-inch. I could either go this one for the sale price of 1999: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16889102201

Or I could go with this from BestBuy which had a really nice picture and is a bit bigger if not necessarily as good as the LCD above.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1202649425028

It is that price in store at my local BestBuy with a green do meaning they are negotiable and I could talk them down another 100-200 bucks. The had the same LCD there as above but 400 more and I am not sure if the slight difference in quality is worth the extra cost even with Newegg's lower price. If I go with the LCD, I will have to for sure buy TV stand for it (not going to mount it) and probably a moderately decent sound system. I will say though that you can definitely tell the difference between the standard 1080p's and the 120hz TV's.

If your not gonna hang it on the wall or have a stand that has a LCD mount on it, I would say go with the bigger DLP then spend that extra money on a nice sound system.

People dont realize that a sound system is half the experience.

I would rather have a lower grade tv (Even thought the DLP will still be amazing) and a amazing sound system then an amazing TV and a half-butt sound system

If your not gonna hang it on the wall or have a stand that has a LCD mount on it, I would say go with the bigger DLP then spend that extra money on a nice sound system.

People dont realize that a sound system is half the experience.

I would rather have a lower grade tv (Even thought the DLP will still be amazing) and a amazing sound system then an amazing TV and a half-butt sound system

Exactly.

also if you look at all the new CES tv's this year there is a huge jump coming in TVs in the next 2-3 years with LED tv and also alot of the TVs will be upgrading to streaming content directly to the TV as well as instant netflix on the tv.

also if you look at all the new CES tv's this year there is a huge jump coming in TVs in the next 2-3 years with LED tv and also alot of the TVs will be upgrading to streaming content directly to the TV as well as instant netflix on the tv.

Sheesh thats what i already said, or did noone read my post? The LED TV at BestBuy hadabout the best picture of all the TVs and the contrast was amazing because of the way it turns off the lights rather than traditionally having light shown where black color is.

I am torn right now. 52-inch with 120hz for 2000 or the 56-inch DLP Projection for 1100?

Tuff choice. If you don't have any kind of sound system get the DLP and a decent sound system to complement it. You can also use it to do other things like listen to CDs and stuff. Unless of course you live in an apartment and can't turn it up.

Best Buy did a lot of high pressure sales crap on me when I went over there to get the TV. They raised the price in store on that TV which is cheaper online. Then in order to lower the price, they tried to get me to get all of these extra services and stuff which very much annoyed me. The TV is only about 1100. Why Would I pay 300 for a service plan that I will probably never need and if the TV dies in two years, I can buy another with better technology anyway. I do not need a bunch of HDMI cable except for my PS3 which I can buy myself. I do not need a super fancy surge protector since I already have one. If I did not buy all of this crap including the Calibration Service, he wasn't going to sell me the TV for the online price.

I can of course order the TV online and just go to Best Buy to pick it up if I wanted to do that. Wish I got one of those coupon things in the mail this weekend. That would have been nice.

DLP and Projection LCD(What i have) both have bulbs.. They are essentially a projector and screen packed into one box. The bulbs are only supposed to last 2000-3000 hours in those.. My Projection LCD has gotten significantly darker since I bought it two years ago, especially when watching Standard Definition channels,

Put a 1 year old DLP and a LCD beside each other in a dark room and I'm willing to bet there will be a significant difference.. I vote LCD.

Sounds like a pretty good deal, hope you enjoy it, I haven't moved to Blue Ray yet and probably won't for some time. The quality doesn't justify dumping DVD like DVD did for VHS. But definately a nice deal. Personally my next TV will be a projector and electric screen to free up space in my living room, plus then I get 110" Screen (which will fit my long room :D )