New Nikon Lens?

Sedah

As ya'll know there's a new lens coming out for Nikon Users, and mainly focused for DX users, the new "AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G" and the great news is, its $200!, how great is that? awesome price indeed!

It should be out in other locations by now but cant get ahold of them in my locations[fl.lauderdale] just yet, so seeing if anyone here actually got ahold of them...

If so, how is it and is it worth buying? Im leaning towards buying this lens but already have a 50mm 1.4D

Reason I want this lens is, its a tad bit wider and can use this as a landscape lens as well unlike the 50mm.

thanx in advance,

-Sedah

Silly question, but why do you want such a fast lens for landscape photography? Aren't you going to be on a tripod anyway? I would think you would just go wide angle and be done with it.

I jus read somewhere that the lens could be used as a landscape lens as well for people with budgets, so I wanna test it out and see before I throw down 500$+ on a wide angle lens but dont want to do that jus yet, trying to get all my parts for the new build first. So, might as well check this out and see how it goes from there ya kno what I mean.

• 1 month later...

I see this lens has just came out. I'm thinking about switching to nikon and this lens is a plus. I want the 18-200mm nikon lens and ever since I've had my Canon, I've been wanting a good ~30mm prime /1.8 and below.. Sigma makes one, but it's huge and costs more than this lens...

Someone find a deal on a nikon body. It looks like you can get refurbed ones for about $300 shipped.

I see this lens has just came out. I'm thinking about switching to nikon and this lens is a plus. I want the 18-200mm nikon lens and ever since I've had my Canon, I've been wanting a good ~30mm prime /1.8 and below.. Sigma makes one, but it's huge and costs more than this lens...

Someone find a deal on a nikon body. It looks like you can get refurbed ones for about $300 shipped.

ah nice, so welcomin you to the nikon world. =)

any ideas on what body you want so far?

The number one reason I want to switch is lens selection. I don't want many lens. I just want a good 18-200mm lens and the Nikon's is better quality than canon's. I also want to get my hands on the 35mm 1.8. The silent and fast focusing of the camera is selling me also. I just feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck with the Nikon. Sure I'd like the more expensive camera, but I think for my shooting style a D60 or so is fine.

I really don't know where I stand in the photography field. I do have a good understanding of everything. I don't feel limited by my XTI, but I do know how to use it well. Maybe I have stopped learning or maybe I haven't outgrown the XTI yet, but as of now a camera in this class offers everything I need.

The number one reason I want to switch is lens selection. I don't want many lens. I just want a good 18-200mm lens and the Nikon's is better quality than canon's. I also want to get my hands on the 35mm 1.8. The silent and fast focusing of the camera is selling me also. I just feel like I'm getting more bang for my buck with the Nikon. Sure I'd like the more expensive camera, but I think for my shooting style a D60 or so is fine.

I really don't know where I stand in the photography field. I do have a good understanding of everything. I don't feel limited by my XTI, but I do know how to use it well. Maybe I have stopped learning or maybe I haven't outgrown the XTI yet, but as of now a camera in this class offers everything I need.

Ok, this makes more sense. I was trying to understand why people switch back and forth, especially with a lens investment.

And it sounds like you're ahead of me - I think I have a basic understanding of photography. Like how shutter speed affects exposure, aperture affects DOF, etc. But I don't know how to work the shutter, ISO, and aperture together to get a good exposure the first time. I'm still doing a lot of guessing.

You might be in the category where you won't outgrow an entry-level camera. Even the XT and kit lens can make some rockin' pictures if it's used by a skilled person.

But a lens like a 35 f/1.8 at $200 probably helps quite a bit too. :)

picked up a d60 body today from Adorama. $299 shipped.

woot woot grats! :), i loved that body, served me great while it lasted...

shoulda came to me sooner, had the body w/kit lens +_4gb mem+tripod+wireless remote+carrying bag and sold it for $380. hehe

Heh, when did you sell it? And what body did you upgrade to?

sold it about a month ago or so; upgraded to the D90 body only[found a steal deal so i bought it haha], and kept my extra lenses I didnt sell w/ the D60

the more I read, the more I start to question myself.. See I'm a very technical person and I wouldn't consider myself very creative at all. So I even find it odd that I like photography. I admit, I'm not very good at it, but I have learned quite a bit and i know how to use the camera well. So I'm hoping that I eventually I'll find the creative side in me.

Anyway.. I've been analyzing which body and lens to use to death. When I know that all I need to do is just get out and shoot and not worry about it. One thing I do know is that my ability is well past the kit lens level and I really don't enjoy shooting with the kit lens.

So here I sit trying to find what body to use and what lens. As look to the more advanced DSLR's like the 40D/50D or a D90. I ask myself if I need all those extra features. I really don't think I do. I don't care about AEB, because I can do it manually if I ever decide to do it (which is rarely). So Sedah, why decide you decide to go with a D90 over your D40? The only thing that would push me to do so is lower ISO noise. That is the only benefit I can convince myself is better.

Today, I saw a photo opportunity and grabbed my XTI. Once again, I shot in well available light with an ISO of 800. This is another plus for why I want to move to a Nikon system for the auto ISO.

Edited by .fx

The 50D can do auto ISO too. :)

It sounds like you're in a state of flux right now - if you don't know what you need your camera to do, you should be looking at that rather than throwing down more money (imo).

If it helps, what most people interested in photography tend to do is upgrade their lenses first, then the body. Most people would agree, superior glass on a good camera body is way better than average glass on a better camera body. Right now, your XTi is a good camera body with average glass (the kit lens).

I've got a $10 experiment* you can try. Get a used Canon 50mm f/1.8 (aka the thrifty fifty). The sharpness is great for that lens, and you can resell it in a week or two for what you paid for it ($80 or so). If the image quality is what you're looking for and your XTi can do what you want it to, return the D60. If the image quality isn't enough, then you'll need an upgraded body.

*the $10 cost is shipping to another buyer. :)

the more I read, the more I start to question myself.. See I'm a very technical person and I wouldn't consider myself very creative at all. So I even find it odd that I like photography. I admit, I'm not very good at it, but I have learned quite a bit and i know how to use the camera well. So I'm hoping that I eventually I'll find the creative side in me.

Anyway.. I've been analyzing which body and lens to use to death. When I know that all I need to do is just get out and shoot and not worry about it. One thing I do know is that my ability is well past the kit lens level and I really don't enjoy shooting with the kit lens.

So here I sit trying to find what body to use and what lens. As look to the more advanced DSLR's like the 40D/50D or a D90. I ask myself if I need all those extra features. I really don't think I do. I don't care about AEB, because I can do it manually if I ever decide to do it (which is rarely). So Sedah, why decide you decide to go with a D90 over your D40? The only thing that would push me to do so is lower ISO noise. That is the only benefit I can convince myself is better.

Today, I saw a photo opportunity and grabbed my XTI. Once again, I shot in well available light with an ISO of 800. This is another plus for why I want to move to a Nikon system for the auto ISO.

d40? , well i went from a d40 to a d60, then went to the d90. I wouldnt have gon for the d90 if it wasnt a killer deal but then again it was, at 700$ brand new, was a killer deal to me and i wasnt really plannin on keepin it, mroe so a buy then sell for profit. [yes yes i do buy things and resell them for profits :)] but once I started using it, the more i feel for it. it worked wonders on my 50mm 1.4d which actually doesnt autofocus on the d60[and does for the d90], and i must say 'my favorite lens outta the 3 so far'. so this definitely made it more convenient for me. my pictures were sharper than b4, due to the fact that i suck at manually focusing (>.<); also; around that time they came out w/ the 50mm 1.4g BUT it was like what 400-450$, so it was more like, spend the extra $2-300 on the new 50mm or new body?. and omgee yes, the iso? ooooo it works wonders, i cant even compare it to the d60; btw, ya read up on the new d500? couple hundred dollars cheaper then the d90; a tad bit similar to the d90.

I'm keeping the D60 and I picked up a new Sigma 30mm 1.4. End result of my total transactions was me trading my older XTI with 18-55mm IS lens and $275 for a new d60 with a new Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens.

I'm going to shoot with the sigma 30mm for a while, if I decide to keep it, then I'll just continue to save toward an 18-200mm VR. If I want to sell it, I'll be able to recoup 95% of what I paid for it to put toward a 18-200mm. I have no immediate need for the superzoom.

I'm keeping the D60 and I picked up a new Sigma 30mm 1.4. End result of my total transactions was me trading my older XTI with 18-55mm IS lens and $275 for a new d60 with a new Sigma 30mm 1.4 lens.

I'm going to shoot with the sigma 30mm for a while, if I decide to keep it, then I'll just continue to save toward an 18-200mm VR. If I want to sell it, I'll be able to recoup 95% of what I paid for it to put toward a 18-200mm. I have no immediate need for the superzoom.

ooo nice! my friend has the same lens and he loves it! how's it treatin you so far? id def. like to test out that lens one day, he told me he likes it compared to the nikon 50mm 1.4

(edited)
I picked up a D90 kit from Costco, it came with a 18-55 and a 55-200mm VR lens, I wamt to get that 18-200mm VR and just carry one lens in my bag.

coulda jus picked up the d90 body and buy the 18-200mm vr, OR the d5000, its about 200$ less than the D90

+its new, very similar to the D90, w/ a tad bit smaller body and it has the flip-able lcd-screen but smaller, its a 2.5 i think compared to the 3 [not sure]. other than that same everything else.

Edited by Sedah