kijiji scam

Fairweather

so a friend and I are moving to calgary this summer and are looking for a place to stay so we were checking out kijiji and came across this:

Executive Downtown Luxury Condo available immediately. Charm and elegance are yours is this all inclusive, furnished, 2 bed huge master bedroom, 2 bath one ensuite with Jacuzzi, dinner party perfect, 1350 sq/ft condo. Ultimate in privacy, security and convenience with a neighbourhood atmosphere of mature, professional, dog friendly people. Furnished with antiques, fine art, china and persian carpets. Built in 2006 with concrete construction. 9th floor balcony is off the living room and bedroom with a view of the downtown and mountains. Ammenities include, all utilities, HD cable, home theatre, high speed internet, newly renovated fitness and social room, storage/locker, UG parking and additional suite for rent within the building. You are only a few minutes walk to the downtown business centre, supermarkets, shopping and the exciting 17th Ave area. NS please. Great landlord for great tenants. Available April 1, 2009.

Note: Unfurnished is available

link

we were think "wow this is amazing", too good to be true kinda thing so my buddy sent off an email in response to the add and this is what he received:

To: bryanedgeley671@hotmail.com

Subject: RE: Reply to your "STOP HERE! Executive 2 bedroom + 2 bathroom Luxury Condo" Ad on Kijiji

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 13:08:39 -0700

Hello Tenant,

Thanks for your email and interest in the property. I personally own the property and also want you to know that it was due to my transfer that made me and my wife to leave the property and also want to give it out for rent and looking for a responsible person that can take very good care of it as we are not after the money for the rent but want it to be clean at the time and the person that will rent it to take it as if it were its own. So for now, We are here in west Africa, our new house and also with the keys and documents of the house, we try to look for an agent that we can give this documents before we left but could not see and we are as well as don't want our property to be used any how in our present that is why we took it along with us. I and my wife came over to West Africa for a missionary work, so i hope you will promise us to take very good care of the house. kindly get back to me on how you could take care of our house or perhaps experience you have in renting home. The rent fee is included all the utilities . I am looking forward to hear from you ASAP so that i can forward you an application form to fill out and discuss on how to get the property for rent.

God bless you

... seemed fishy as hell, terrible english, keys are apparently in africa.. PPFTT smells like a scam to me so again my buddy replied to this email and this is the second response he got:

To: bryanedgeley671@hotmail.com

Subject: RE: Reply to your "STOP HERE! Executive 2 bedroom + 2 bathroom Luxury Condo" Ad on Kijiji

Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 23:26:04 -0700

Hello Tenant,

Many thanks for your prompt reply, i am very happy to read from you and i am willing and wish to rent my property to you.Actaully, i am not after the money all i care about is just a good tenant to take better care of the place for me and i am putting all my trust in you. The rent fee inlcudes all utilities such as :

Phone/Internet/Cable/Diswahser/Microwave and so on.Damage depoist is $700 but note that the damage deposit is refundable after your tenancy. I am staying here in africa for 3 years and when i return i am planning to get another place.I will require the first month or damage deposit first before i ship out the keys and the documents over to you.once you recieve the keys and the documents then you send me the first month rent.rent fee will be monthly basis.I want you to fill the rent application form below and send it back to me.

RENT APPLICATION FORM

TENANT NAME:

PARMANENT ADDRESS:

DELIVERY ADDRESS IF DIFFERENT FROM PERMENT ADDRESS:

MARTIAL STATUS:

PHONE NUMBER:

NUMBER OF PEOPLE THAT WANT TO STAY THERE:

EMAIL ADDRESS:

MOVE IN DATE:

DO YOU HAVE PETS?:

Kindly fill the application and once everything is okay with me, i will contact the shipping company (CDS DELIVERY) to come pick up the keys and documents for shipping asap.Also, i will get back to you with a payment details to send the first rent and damage deposit.

Below are the content of the package that will be ship over to you:

1. Description and Full address to the property

2. Buch of Keys including the entrance and room keys

3. A month and damage deposit receipt

Hope to see you there soon, kindly make sure you get back to me asap so that i can have everything ready. You may contact me on the phone number below:

+2348035217069

Thanks

OH OK SOUNDS GOOD LOL.. were gonna mess with this guy, any ideas chaps?

You could always double check to see and make sure you aren't crapping in a box you are sending to a missionary. Try requesting that you use an escrow service. Escrow.com I believe is the one that ebay supports.

You never know, it COULD be legit. There's no reason not to triple check just because it sounds fishy.

You could always double check to see and make sure you aren't crapping in a box you are sending to a missionary. Try requesting that you use an escrow service. Escrow.com I believe is the one that ebay supports.

You never know, it COULD be legit. There's no reason not to triple check just because it sounds fishy.

lol ya i'd never actually do it but sad thing is these days it most likey is a scam, cant trust them missionary's!

scam.. they do it all the time in NYC.

whatever shipping company / 3rd party they try to set you up with...go on the website and call to see if they offer that kind of service.. They will immediately tell you it's a scam.

Your GC forums account has been compromised. To ensure that you do not lose access, we need you to PM us with the following information. Thank you for your cooperation.

First name

Last Name

DOB

Social Security #

Mother's maiden Name:

Place of birth

Checking Account Number

Check Account routing number

Credit card number

Expiration date

CVV number on the back

Billing Address

email address

Father's middle name

a $25 check for faster processing.

-GamersCoalition admin team.

Crap! ZD, I sent you my info, please forward it on.

You can forward that informationt o me and I weel send it to the write peepil.

ooh! The typos show it was written by a person, therefore it's legit! I'll paste the information I sent to ZD in here too, just in case:

Can you forward this on so I don't lose access? Thanks in advance.

Your GC forums account has been compromised. To ensure that you do not lose access, we need you to PM us with the following information. Thank you for your cooperation.

First name Toby

Last Name Willard

DOB 08-22-1980

Social Security # 322-40-9813

Mother's maiden Name: Chalmers

Place of birth Peoria, IL

Checking Account Number 81398431

Check Account routing number 0138762

Credit card number 4266913578623216

Expiration date 10/2011

CVV number on the back 771

Billing Address 483 W Mill St, Gurnee IL 60031

Father's middle name Jonas

a $25 check for faster processing. paypaled to GC

-GamersCoalition admin team.

(edited)

Tell him you have 2 girlfriends, 4 kids..

tell him you love helping others like he does. You do some volunteer work and take care of foster animals.. you have 2 pet snakes, 5 puppies, 3 cats and an albino rat. Tell him you have the check already wrote, but you are just making sure this is OK before you send it.

Edited by .fx