prayers, thoughts, etc.

stutters

:wavey:

my grandparents have been kicking for the past 96 and 94 years, married for over 70, and have led a really rich life. my grandfather skied in the us senior olympics in the 70+, 80+, and 90+ age brackets. my grandmother has traveled all over the world, everywhere in the states, and has had some great experiences. they've had failing health over the past year, and in the past week, my grandma has stopped taking fluids and eating; hospice is giving her a matter of days. my grandfather, who is obviously having a hard time with this, is also starting to aggressively slip. they're both in hospice care, and that's an incredible relief for anyone that's been around it.

my uncle came physically came back from vietnam, but never psychologically or emotionally. he's been living with them since he came back. he's incredible, but i know he's having a difficult time with this. he's the type of guy that went back for multiple tours, risked his life to save his buddies in vietnam, and would jump in front of a truck to save a stranger. he's also pretty alone, and about to be without the two people (his parents) that he's cared for most of his adult life.

any prayers, thoughts, or whatever you do to help him (and my mom) find the strength and peace during this process would be tremendously appreciated.

thanks,

-matt

sorry to hear man, I myself have an 89 and 86 year old grandparents that I'm very close to. They aren't in the best of health, but are kicking along ok. I dread the day they start to slip. I hope your grandmother starts doing better.

GC Alumni

yeah, there's no getting better. she stopped taking fluids, and hasn't had anything to eat in a week. hospice originally said 1-2 weeks, but this morning recommended we get a minister for final rights, and she's also slipped into a morphine induced coma.

i made it a point to go home last october to have them dump some of the old time era stories on me, and i'm glad i did. "my, how times have changed."

I'm sorry, man. It sucks, no way else to describe it.

You seem to have your head screwed on straight in that you're recognizing the accomplishments, the wisdom and the richness of their lives.

Just be available. To talk, to listen... whatever. It'll help you, your uncle and everyone else get through the grief.

I'll pray for you and your family, Matt.

Brian

:wavey:

my grandparents have been kicking for the past 96 and 94 years, married for over 70, and have led a really rich life. my grandfather skied in the us senior olympics in the 70+, 80+, and 90+ age brackets. my grandmother has traveled all over the world, everywhere in the states, and has had some great experiences. they've had failing health over the past year, and in the past week, my grandma has stopped taking fluids and eating; hospice is giving her a matter of days. my grandfather, who is obviously having a hard time with this, is also starting to aggressively slip. they're both in hospice care, and that's an incredible relief for anyone that's been around it.

my uncle came physically came back from vietnam, but never psychologically or emotionally. he's been living with them since he came back. he's incredible, but i know he's having a difficult time with this. he's the type of guy that went back for multiple tours, risked his life to save his buddies in vietnam, and would jump in front of a truck to save a stranger. he's also pretty alone, and about to be without the two people (his parents) that he's cared for most of his adult life.

any prayers, thoughts, or whatever you do to help him (and my mom) find the strength and peace during this process would be tremendously appreciated.

thanks,

-matt

Seriously? ........?

I'll take the heat for this, they are well into they're 90's and have seen quite a bit of the world and, (hopefully) have a direction of where they're going.

Stand by them....with great pride!! Well deserverd I'm sure no arguments there. Your uncle, on the the other hand, is a different story.

Fighting for your freedom, regardless of weather what he did impacted you directly, will need your support more than your aware of.

Being alone is terrible under the best of circumstantces! And someone that has fought to perserve your right of choice deserves better than that!

Did he directly protect your right of choice? Maybe not, but what he did, ensured a 2nd or 3rd barrier for oppressors to get to that point! Under our

lifestyle that might not seem like much, but then again our generation was gifted with freewill!! Thank your uncle!

GC Alumni

i don't see it being mean spirited. regardless of my political views, anyone that's served the country has my respect, and getting to understand what my uncle went through (and still is) has played a big part in that. i'm that nerdy guy that randomly says thanks to people in uniform (unless they're grumpy parking cops).

:D

in other news, my grandma died last night around 11p est. my mom and uncle were there, and my grandpa understood what happened. hospice kept her comfortable, and her old hardware just got a major upgrade. thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

In some ways quicker is better IMO (my grandpa had the Alzheimer's and it dragged out for about five years) ... and great that you took time to hear the stories. You'll want to hear the stories from their friends too, if any are still around. I love it that they're going together ... the one isn't much good without the other. :) Makes me happy for them.

I understand what you are going through SJ. My grandfather died last night as well. I am a pretty insular person and I don't love very many people, my grandfather was one of the few. He was a bomber for the Army during WW2, and an Air Force General during Korea. One of the most amazing, funny, well rounded people I have ever met. He truly was the patriarch of our family, all of my families traditions and customs came from him. Every holiday had his little touches and humor. For Xmas we would get gifts labeled 'S.C.' and we knew, just knew that it was going to be something special. For instance, one year I got WW2 era combat socks and GI soap. Another year I got an ornately wrapped box filled with hoses and junk from his work bench. It might not seem funny to some, but it was always a very personal gift that was crafted for each of us based on our own sense of humor. I can't help but cry thinking of how much he meant to me, and how much I will miss him.

I'm told that he went quietly and quickly, so that is good, after his wife died four years ago he sorta lost a lot of his vigor. I find myself mourning not so much for my loss, but for my sons. They will not be able to be charmed by him, or listen to his stories. I will keep his memory strong by passing on his sense of family and the importance of holidays, not to celebrate some event in the past, but to celebrate us as a family.

My thoughts are with you SJ, I know how much they probably mean to you, and I wish you all the strength you need to get through this tough time.

Shaftiel