New here

ThruX

Well I have been reading more and more, mostly to get tired and go to sleep. Just finished up the Dark Tower series from S. King. I thought it was excellent. The charecters developed well.

I noticed the sticky about GC book club. Is this happening? If it is not, we should decide what to read. I just picked up Elegant Universe by B. Greene. Mind blowing statements and predictions here. Next on my list is almost all of Micho Kaku's books and a few of S. Hawking's. So if anyone would like to pick one of these up, we can discuss some of our findings. Or, If anyone has any good suggestions let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

The book club thing kinda fizzled. Though I love reading books at the same times as folks and commenting on them. I read tons of different stuff but focus most on history, horror, classics... like King, Vonnegut, Ambrose, George Martin, etc.

One of these days i will post up the last, oh 50 or books I have read since starting the forum, lol.

Right now I am reading a book called "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. It is about how plant, animal, and environment shaped civilization progress from about 13000 BC to current, essentially why certain civilizations ended up on top and how some ended up on bottom. It is interesting, but pretty academic if that doesn't float any boats

Next up I think I am going to re read the first 4 books in the 'Song of Ice and Fire' series by George RR Martin in anticipation of the fifth book being released (hopefully) this fall. Insanely good fantasy/midevil style series from one of the best in the genre.

Before I read 'Deliverence' and 'The Exorcist' as books that I wanted to see how the books were compared to the movies. Both were disappointing (as I think most books are after you see the movie).

Before that I read 'Surely you're Joking, Mr Feynman' a loose autobiography written by Richard Feynman. Feynman was nobel winning theoretical physicist that (among many other things) worked in the Manhattan project during WWII. The dude is really really funny and has led a crazy interesting life... it is really neat to read the stories about one of the smartest guys on the planet that sound like any other goofy dude. If you like physics at all you MUST read this book, and even if you don't it is a very very good read.

Before that I read 'Blink' by Malcom Gladwell (he wrote 'tipping point' if you have heard of that). It is a non-fiction about how people use their instinctual or short processes of thinking reasoning. Hard to explain but very well written and hugely interesting.

Before that I read the new King set of short stories 'Just after Sunset'. Not his best collection but if you like short stories, King (with hemmingway a near second) is the best at it.

Thats about all I have right now, (that covers about the last 3 months) but all good reads. I think from now on I am going to post all the books I read :)

All that said, even if only a few folks were interested in picking a common book and reading/posting on it, I would be down.

• 2 weeks later...
Right now I am reading a book called "Guns, Germs, and Steel" by Jared Diamond. It is about how plant, animal, and environment shaped civilization progress from about 13000 BC to current, essentially why certain civilizations ended up on top and how some ended up on bottom. It is interesting, but pretty academic if that doesn't float any boats

good book! :boing:

anyone read this? is he a good author of other books?:

13707647.JPG

good book! :boing:

anyone read this? is he a good author of other books?:

13707647.JPG

A bit ago I read a book about the history of the English language, all the way for indo-european to modern English... it was neat how the spread of language really parallels the spread of food production, animal husbandry, and whatnot... there were a lot of tie ins between this book and the language one. I found it interesting.

I have not read any thing by Albert Camus, nor heard anything.

I have not really tried any of the digital book readers, mostly because I feel like I wouldn't like them. Though I am pretty sure if I got used to them I would enjoy it. I read one book at a time, books are already pretty portable, and I like my 3 bookcases of real books. The kindle seems to get pretty good reveiws.

I've read this book (actually read it in the original French for French class in high school). He's and existentialist writer. Existentialism, in essence, is the belief that life is meaningless and our actions, and the consequences therein, are meaningless as well. The book wasn't that bad but would probably be considered inflammatory by today's ignorant masses. It was this book that inspired Robert Smith of The Cure to write the song "Killing an Arab", which also was misconstrued as an inflammatory act of hate.

Another existentialist write is Jean-Paul Sartre. He wrote the book Huis-clos (No Exit), which gave os the famous line "L'enfer, c'est les autres", "Hell, it is the other people". I really enjoyed reading this one (again in French class) because it's a thinker. You have three different people but yet you can seem to relate with each one in a different way.

I think they are both good books to read.