My vacation

NOFX

I have the week of May 4th-8th off of work and didn't have any plans. I decided to make it a little more exciting so I just bought tickets to Costa Rica. My idea here is to pack light and be able to carry everything I'm bringing with me at all times. No checked luggage, just a backpack that will go as a carry on. Netbook is to much to carry, so I put my genius to work and dugg out an old cingular HTC 8125 that had been stored away for years. This should let me pick up wifi if I can find it... and check email, etc... it even has skype installed.

The only plan I got is no plan. I got a 1 night reservation at a hostel in san jose, but I'm trying to just catch buses around the country, maybe hit up Panama or Nicaragua. Has anyone ever been down there? Recommend any places to check out?

Edited by .fx

(edited)

I think I'm going to leave the DSLR at the house and bring my compact sd880 with an extra battery. I'm thinking I'm gonna have to scratch the idea of the HTC 8125 and bring the netbook. Kind of sucks the power brick that comes with it weight close to what the netbook does.

Edited by .fx

My suggestion, take the DSLR. You might as well sell it otherwise (at least that's what you'll be thinking when you get there).

I've never been to South America but I did mainland Europe for 21 days out of a backpack. There is nothing better than getting off a 6+ hour flight and walking right past baggage claims and out of the airport.

Of my friends who did go to places like Costa Rica they all reported an amazing time (not resort trips).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
(edited)
Nice! I e-stalked you a little, and I'm having a hard time deciding which of your pictures is best.

This one?

This one?

Or this one?

Did you miss having a DSLR on the trip?

I brought my DSLR, but I will say the compact is necessary while backpacking in another country.. I kept the DSLR in my pack my while traveling and such with my compact in my pocket. I'd only bring the DSLR out when convenient

I've got about 450 pictures or so from the trip. Many of which suck. I'm just taking my time, I'll process one or two and then post up here... For some reason I really like this one

3524401062_3a19ea1018_b.jpg

Edited by .fx

(edited)

the only one posted so far taken with the DSLR. Playa Grande was awesome. It was very wide and long and pretty much empty of people. The water was shallow for a good ways out. The riptide was pretty rough though. I was swimming out just a little bit past those rocks and I got sucked out by the riptide. I wasn't sure If I was going to make it back in. The riptide was pulling me out, but the waves were coming in slightly toward those rocks. I had to swim parallel and opposite of the direction the waves were coming in because of those rocks... By the time I made it to shore I was completely exhausted...

Edited by .fx

thanks for the good comments guys, I didn't think they were all that great. I'll post a few more

3523697847_57a03b1b5b_b.jpg

Arenal Volcano located in La Fortuna. one of the ten most active volcanoes in the world. Was silent until the 1950's(I think) when it erupted and wiped out two small towns on the opposite side.

(edited)

The 18-55 kit lens isn't that great, but if you shoot in RAW and do a little post processing, you can just about pull the entire dynamic range out of the file..

3543805367_a8ac2cf6c0_b.jpg

Check out the little building to the left of the turquoise/white boat on the left. Thats where we stayed. 10 bucks a night per person for a bed and a fan...

Edited by .fx