since I didn't see a handy man forum...

NOFX

I'll drop this in chit-chat...

Installing a new door, frame and all. I'm fairly handy. Although I had no experience doing things. I've managed to put down hardwood laminate floors, ceramic tile, new counter and sink. So now I'm replacing the front door, storm door, and a 48x54 window.

I don't think I can handle the window so my buddies dad who is a contractor said he'd do it for about 100 bucks. I got the storm door, but now to the main door. Should I do this myself? Or should I pay him another hundred or so?

I'll drop this in chit-chat...

Installing a new door, frame and all. I'm fairly handy. Although I had no experience doing things. I've managed to put down hardwood laminate floors, ceramic tile, new counter and sink. So now I'm replacing the front door, storm door, and a 48x54 window.

I don't think I can handle the window so my buddies dad who is a contractor said he'd do it for about 100 bucks. I got the storm door, but now to the main door. Should I do this myself? Or should I pay him another hundred or so?

If you have a friend, and you're handy, and you know how to google: do it yourself. Buy plenty of shims. Follow directions. Start early.

Edit: Also, make sure you have a longer level, at least 4 feet (of course, the directions you find on google will tell you that).

Edited by Bewildered

Doors aren't too bad, and once you know how you'll always know how. I'm also a do-it-yourself person when I can be. Go for it man, and have fun! Like above said, have plenty of shims and a good level. And patience beer.

(Side note: windows aren't as hard as they look either - watch your bud's dad do it).

Edited by dragonfly

Someone said start early, I totally agree. My rule of thumb is if you never done a job before, it's gonna take twice as long as you figured at start.

Sounds like you could do it yourself. If you have a friend that can watch, he'll point out the things your doing wrong and make fun of you. Plus if things just don't work out, you can always goto plan B and call the guy. :)

Prehung doors are pretty simple, especially entry doors because they have the threshold on the bottom holding things together for you a bit. The biggest piece of info I can give you to help you make the decision to do it yourself or not would be to check the door opening completely. Make sure that both sides are pretty close to plumb, and that the floor is level. Also a very important detail would be to check both door jambs in the opening to make sure they are parallel by putting a level on the face side of both sides of the jamb...making sure they are both the same. If the opening looks good, then go for it, it's pretty easy, but if something is way off...leave it to a pro, they know the tricks to tweak everything and make it come out right.

If you decide to do it, let me know and I will give you some details and tricks to make sure you get it set perfect.

Well I can save myself about $300 bucks or so if I decide to do myself. It is the same size frame and all, just pull the old one out and put the new one in. I do have a little experience doing something like this. I put up an attic ladder a couple months ago. I had to frame 2 sides of the ladder in. So is it really much different than that?

The door is frame and all. The window is just the sash.. The only day I can attempt the door is this sunday and I'm not sure if I can find anyone to help me. Doable by myself? or not? I'm about 90% sure I'm going to try the door.

I'm really trying to get out of my townhouse without just walking away from the mortgage like many people... Lets see what all I have done.

hardwood laminate floors in the living room

ceramic tile in the kitchen

new counter/sink

attic ladder installed with flooring in the attic

there were no overhead lights in the bedrooms upstairs. Being the non electrician I am, I found the wire running from the switch to the outlet and tapped into it, put up two ceiling fans out of three of the bedrooms

new outdoor A/C unit in 2008

roof re-shingled in 2007

new fencing in the back

new washer and dryer

next week:

new front door

new storm door

new front window 48x54 in size.

things left on my to-do list

paint the exterior trim on the front of the townhouse

new carpet upstairs(I have a dog, so I really don't want to do this one)

And drop a big for sale by owner sign out front for about 25k less than what a Realtor will sale it for.

Just make sure you know how to properly water-proof the door.

Water can get underneath the footstep and rot the wood if you don't do it right. And make sure you have an extra pair of hands, its hard to get the level right when you're hammering shims without anybody holding the door up.

i would absolutely save your cash and do it yourself. Judging by the things you have done you will understand what to do as you start pulling the old stuff off. You shouldn't have to frame anything, it's not even that involved. just a few trim pieces.

A trick for hanging the door alone is once it's framed in and finished you put the hinges on the door and then hold the door up so the top hinge can be screwed in, then it can hang from that screw while you get the bottom and then middle lined up :) . Cordless helps with magnetic tips ... i do this stuff a lot for work so im sure i could give a few more pointers if you need... i think you will be ok though.

I bought a prehung door from lowes.. doing it by myself, I guess it would be much easier to take the door out of the frame before hanging it.... Just make sure the hinge side of the door is 90 degree and it should be level right? Or is there a better way to make sure it's level?

I bought a prehung door from lowes.. doing it by myself, I guess it would be much easier to take the door out of the frame before hanging it.... Just make sure the hinge side of the door is 90 degree and it should be level right? Or is there a better way to make sure it's level?

If the door shuts nice it doesn't matter. Since you did so much to your home already, you also must know how to trim a door. If it shuts nice, but the door opening is off square, then use trim to hide the gaps.

Btw, doors from lowes, menards, and others are not high quality doors. They'll only last about 10 to 15 years. If you want to get a door that will last the lifetime of the house, you'll have to pay that extra cost.

The way I know this is because my father is a carpenter and he gets most of his business from new homes with retail bought doors that started rotting and leaking.

And don't count on them standing up to a good kick. The default deadbolt space on the door will only withstand a couple hundred pounds. So if a big guy wants to get in, he will. I've seen the aftermath. The deadbolt bent the door open, but did nothing to the wall, allowing the door to open.

Kind of like this

Broken_Door_with_Deadbolt-380x278.jpg

well I started today at about 1:30. An hour and a half later I have the old door out and the new door in and level, I haven't screwed it into the frame yet, but the hard part is over, I'll post a before and after pic shortly. Can't believe I was thinking of paying 100-150 for someone else to do.

(edited)

Before:

3473925425_a496273a6c.jpg?v=0

After:

3473925523_3c7e9a0a18.jpg?v=0

I got a new white storm door to put up, hopefully tomorrow..

Next step is to paint the exterior of the townhouse white.

Also that 25 year old window is getting replaced. I've already bought a new one, just waiting on it to arrive. Now that I have done the door, I'm feeling like I can tackle the window.

The window I ordered doesn't come with a frame and is supposed to be installed into the existing frame. Think I can do it?

Edited by .fx

Nice job! See, it wasn't bad right?

As far as the window going in the existing frame thing...those can be a pain in the arse, the frame needs to be pretty perfect as far as square goes...putting in a complete unit is far easier in my opinion. I just put one in the front of our brick house...9 foot long by 5 foot tall, it was a bit tricky because of the size, but they arent bad.

My only other question is....why are you gonna paint brick? brick is awesome!