New IPB Forums Thread

Flitterkill

New forums are now installed and everything has been converted, rebuilt, whatever.

There *will* be a few bugs here and there - don't sweat them for a few days. This is 3.0.0 of the IPB software. 3.0.1 which knocks down a bunch of post-release buggage is out either today or in a few days from now.

This is the skin you will know and love until other skins appear in the wild; which will be remarkably soon.

General Chat will have a forum thread open to air any griefs, etc. regarding the new softs.

So here you go. Questions? Queries? Queefs?

FYI - views counter for topics only updates every hour or two right now so don't whig out if you see a couple of replies in a topic but views still at zero. This can be changed at the cost of CPU.

-Fk

not bad! the "view new content" is pretty slick, but not sure about the "mark board as read" being waaaay down at the bottom.

fingers crossed something is going to start caching somewhere, because things seem to be a wee bit slow. er iz just me?

• Like 1

I don't care for it...the old forums were very organized looking, this is harder pick things out at a glance, it all looks kinda....blended together....

So just curious....what was wrong with the old forums?

they were out of date. Security vulnerabilities require that you keep web apps like these forums up to date.

So just curious....what was wrong with the old forums?

actually, when i saw /forums/ was down but gamerscoalition.com was up, my first assumption was "welp, 2.2.x got hacked. only a matter of time, i suppose." this was a very necessary move, imo (disclaimer: i had nothing to do with it, including recommending or executing).

these reactions are all to be expected with a new UX/design, i just hope you guys are open enough to try it out without being crabby towards it.

GC Board Member

I said to expect some chop and here is the first:

1) PM's bouncing due to "full inboxes" which actually aren't full

2) Rebooted the server at 450pm Eastern after it hung on the database with too many connections.

3.0.1 patch hits in a day or two; hopefully that will fixor us good.

-Fk

EDIT - It seems there are some connections that aren't not closing - there is no way this side of hell we had 357 users all on this afternoon at 1251pm - methinks that is a pointer towards the problem

GC Board Member

There are some seriously odd things going on in the background; enough where we may have to shut down for the night while I try to figure out wth or roll back to the earlier forums short-term. Either we are trapped in a seriously weird mysql bug, or our webserver is configured enough to install and run the new version but not configured and installed (variables) correctly to keep it going.

Annoying.

-Fk

GC Board Member

This is lovely, but I think I have it tracked down.

Although the webpage says php5.1 is fine to install, digging around on the forums indicates that particular cake is a lie and 5.2 is req. Which is to say, they are asking for 5.1 bugs to be reported as they think it "should" work. That may explain why the mysql database is filling up with sleeped commands and unclosed queries, etc.

-Fk

these reactions are all to be expected with a new UX/design, i just hope you guys are open enough to try it out without being crabby towards it.

I am open to new things, I just hope new skins come out soon because this is awful to me, everything blends together, and the fonts look goofy. I have always thought that our old forums were the "perfect" setup and often thought to myself when on other boards "man, these guys should use what we have in GC"...but now it's all gone :(

I'm sure this works better, and hopefully there are some instructions somewhere on the new features, but I just hope it can be made to look the same as the old forums...very neat, organized, and easy to navigate.

Btw....since we are updating, think we can change the Zombie Panic Source Lead Admin in my profile, to just Senior Admin?

I like the old forum skin I was using... Disturbed I think?

Hey I think I was using that one too, I liked it so. This one is too bright for me and kinda looks like everything else out there. I've been noticing that the net as a whole is going bright and bland, with rounded squareness. It's all so sterile.

The 90's had great websites. :prplwacko:

• 2 weeks later...

how do you switch it? how many skins are there?

i used the dark black one for the last forums..

Once peeps have created skinz for the program, the admins have to d/l and install them. Then you can select your fav from the dropdown menu at the bottom left corner of the forum page. Right now there are 2 options. IP Board, and IP Board Lo-Fi. :(