The Unkown Danger

ThruX

Well I found this interesting. When my wife and I had kids she became very concerned for their health. She decided no more microwaves. I was like "What, your crazy". She then presented me this information plus more. At first I hated it, but now I prefer not using it. We found we spend more time preparing meals and getting the kids involved. The other day we went to a restaurant and the kids claimed their mac and cheese tasted funny. We asked the waiter if it was microwaved; he checked out back and told us yes. I think it was just the cheese since it was fine dining but I found it strange. Anyway here is a link and feel free to search more. I just hope she does not try to make me stop using a cell phone LOL.

http://www.ghchealth.com/microwave-ovens-the-proven-dangers.html

I would like to hear some opinions.

Too baked from the upgrade to go into detail but that link is filled with atrocious logic at best. By their logic, easy bake ovens should be labeled "radiation ovens"... Tons of questionable sources, "studys" for which no sources are provided, obligatory Nazis (of course), rambling about radiation (which must be bad...), and so on.

Ack.

Spending more time by showing kids how to cook without a microwave? Absolutely groovy (don't skimp on showing them how to clean a greasy stove top by just throwing some baking soda on it as well). But microwaves are plenty safe. If I get bored tomorrow I'll roll through that whole "article" and turn it into a comedy routine.

The use of artificial microwave transmissions for subliminal psychological control, a.k.a. "brainwashing", has also been proven. We're attempting to obtain copies of the 1970's Russian research documents and results written by Drs. Luria and Perov specifying their clinical experiments in this area.

Yeah, don't think it will be too hard. :)

-Fk

Too baked from the upgrade to go into detail but that link is filled with atrocious logic at best. By their logic, easy bake ovens should be labeled "radiation ovens"... Tons of questionable sources, "studys" for which no sources are provided, obligatory Nazis (of course), rambling about radiation (which must be bad...), and so on.

Ack.

Spending more time by showing kids how to cook without a microwave? Absolutely groovy (don't skimp on showing them how to clean a greasy stove top by just throwing some baking soda on it as well). But microwaves are plenty safe. If I get bored tomorrow I'll roll through that whole "article" and turn it into a comedy routine.

The use of artificial microwave transmissions for subliminal psychological control, a.k.a. "brainwashing", has also been proven. We're attempting to obtain copies of the 1970's Russian research documents and results written by Drs. Luria and Perov specifying their clinical experiments in this area.

Yeah, don't think it will be too hard. :)

-Fk

Uhh... yeah. If it keeps you out of the doghouse that is great but microwave ovens are not dangerous. Unless maybe you sit there with your junk pressed against the window with it on high for 49-53 years. Though I agree that food cooked in them (other than popcorn) does end up a bit gnarly.

That article is HILARIOUS.

Ok so if all this was real that they presented. Microwaves would not be on the shelves. But. They are. So. They are fine. They have scientists that test these things.

I'm all for cooking real food. But sometimes you just need that quick meal. kthxbai

Edited by stutters
censored: keep political digs in the asylum
  • Like 1

Interesting read, although I suspect the author spent too long either in or excessively close to a microwave while wearing their tinfoil hat.

I'm pretty sure the heating effects of microwaves were first discovered by the allies during the second world war by accident, when they were doing research into new types of radar, or at least that's what I was taught in Physics lessons a few years ago...

Microwaves aren't banned in Russia, they were for about 10 years in the early 80s.

I'm also fairly sure microwave energy is non-ionizing (or non carcinogenic), but I can't find anything that suggests it's effects on food are any worse than grilling it.

Degrading food, I've always been told that cooking any food lowers it's content of vitamins etc., particularly boiling.

I particularly love this line:

"1. A breakdown of the human "life-energy field" in those who were exposed to microwave ovens while in operation, with side-effects to the human energy field of increasingly longer duration;"

I'm really impressed that they were able to scientifically measure the effect of microwaves on people's aura.

The continual quoting of Russian research during the time the iron curtain was up actually puts pictures in my mind of them building microwave ovens the size of houses and testing them out on people (which wouldn't surprise me).

I'm sure there's some validity in a couple of the arguments, but no comparisons are provided for reference and the whole thing seems quite alarmist.

We don't use our microwave very much at all, popcorn once a week perhaps, and I would agree that if you ate a 100% microwaved food diet it probably wouldn't do you any good, but that's more than likely the nature of the food you're cooking/lifestyle you're leading than the actual effects of microwaving it.

In London in the 1950's they still used unshielded X-ray machines to fit you for new shoes in the shoe store and my father and his brother used to have endless fun sticking their heads inside the machine.

While you can't fully account for the safety of long term exposure to anything until it's actually happened (we'll start seeing true effects from microwaves, if any, in 30-40 years give or take as you must have been born in a home with a more modern microwave to give any credence to the possible negative outcomes) I doubt there will be any debilitating effects discovered...hopefully we discover that microwaves promote blood flow well into your old age :mwink:

Actually...I don't even own one

Don't own one myself, never needed one. I was fortunate and still to have my parents make me fresh meals every day.

I do work with microwave energy at work (at very high power levels). I've seen what it can do a wide variety of materials including human flesh. I'm not saying it's bad for you but i'll just use the stove :D