Xterminator's Computer

Xterminator

Hey Everyone

As many of you know i've been all talk and no game about this machine I wanted to build. Well, I've taken the first step and ordered a few parts. This is what i'm going to build:

Tech Report - The Sweeter Spot

So far I've ordered:

Qty 1 --> Antec P183 Black Aluminum / Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail (P182 not offered on newegg.ca so I upgraded)

Qty 2 --> Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Qty 1 --> CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 -Retail

Qty 4 --> OKGEAR 18" SATA II Cable Model GC18ATASM12 - OEM (not really that important to mention but wanted to anyways)

I was going to order the RAM that's recommended in the build but it's not offered on newegg.ca. If you have any suggestions please let me know.

I havn't looked into the video card but my bro says it's good enough.

Basically, I want a multiple purpose comp that allows me to not only play newer games but also allow me to do music stuff on the side. Any of you avid music artists out there you can help me if the Audio card isn't the best choice.

Any other suggestions you may have, please feel free to post.

Thanks for your help in advance!

-Xterminator

For RAM, you can go with this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-20-227-298-_-Product

Effectively the same price (about $5 more) and you get 8GB of ram instead of 6GB. Also, this ram has better timings.

Then I'd go with a 64bit OS so you can take advantage of all of it, say a Linux build or Windows 7 RC1

(edited)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227298&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-20-227-298-_-Product

Effectively the same price (about $5 more) and you get 8GB of ram instead of 6GB. Also, this ram has better timings.

Then I'd go with a 64bit OS so you can take advantage of all of it, say a Linux build or Windows 7 RC1

Thanks for the advice Dweez! I was going to go with 64-Bit OS most likely Windows 7 RC1 as opposed to Vista or XP 64-Bit. Being a noob with computers, what's the difference between DDR2 and DDR3? should I go with DDR3? or will there not be much of a performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3

Edited by Xterminator

Thanks for the advice Dweez! I was going to go with 64-Bit OS most likely Windows 7 RC1 as opposed to Vista or XP 64-Bit. Being a noob with computers, what's the difference between DDR2 and DDR3? should I go with DDR3? or will there not be much of a performance difference between DDR2 and DDR3

Also, for any product suggestions please ensure that it's available on www.newegg.ca as opposed to .com

(edited)

DDR3 is faster than DDR2. If you're building an i7 rig, you have to go with DDR3.

what he said, make sure all your parts are compatible before buyin them,: ex. if your buyin an i7 then u need a 1366 socket, and the ram type it usually supports are DDR3 or it should be listed on whatever motherboard your getting

if your buyin a 1366socket mobo, I have a corsair xms3 6gb ram for sale, once I get my dominators this wednesday if your interested :smillie_smilling:

dis is the ram Im lookin forward to sell, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145220 Ive had it for a good 3months, jus upgrading it so wont have a use for em afterwards. :luxhello:

and yea, def go w/ a 64x OS, the W7 RC1 is awesome, you have until next year to use it, then u can either purchase it when it expires or just install vista, whicheva u like, but myself once I tried w7, im def stayin w/ it lol

Edited by Sedah

(edited)

btw, for that i7 920, see if you kno someone near a microcenter store, they sell the i7 920's for only 200$ +tax, it'll save u a good amount of $ and u can use that towards the rest of your build

i'd suggest u a mobo but im sure ur already set on gettin that gigabyte kkee

for this, Id suggest nvidia graphics card, the evga gtx 260 are gettin really cheap now, a good 150-160$ for the 216cores

+evga warranty&support are leet! havent had any problems with their support and service, most of my parts are evga lol

+plus they offer awesome physX , here's an ex: video w/ and w/out physx on

Edited by Sedah

DDR3 is faster than DDR2. If you're building an i7 rig, you have to go with DDR3.

what he said, make sure all your parts are compatible before buyin them,: ex. if your buyin an i7 then u need a 1366 socket, and the ram type it usually supports are DDR3 or it should be listed on whatever motherboard your getting

if your buyin a 1366socket mobo, I have a corsair xms3 6gb ram for sale, once I get my dominators this wednesday if your interested :smillie_smilling:

dis is the ram Im lookin forward to sell, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145220 Ive had it for a good 3months, jus upgrading it so wont have a use for em afterwards. :luxhello:

and yea, def go w/ a 64x OS, the W7 RC1 is awesome, you have until next year to use it, then u can either purchase it when it expires or just install vista, whicheva u like, but myself once I tried w7, im def stayin w/ it lol

I'm trying to stay as close to the tech report rig as possible because it is compatible. I need an alternative DDR3 RAM because the one they recommend is not available on newegg.ca Canada.

As for the RAM, thanks for the offer but I'd prefer buying everything new so I have warranties and all that stuff in check. I'm not sure if warranties are transferable and I dont want to find out the hard way. I dont mind spending a few extra bucks on good DDR3 RAM. I can always get better RAM if the one I want isn't available on newegg.ca

btw, for that i7 920, see if you kno someone near a microcenter store, they sell the i7 920's for only 200$ +tax, it'll save u a good amount of $ and u can use that towards the rest of your build

for this, Id suggest nvidia graphics card, the evga gtx 260 are gettin really cheap now, a good 150-160$ for the 216cores

+evga warranty&support are leet! havent had any problems with their support and service, most of my parts are evga lol

Unfortunately I dont know anyone near a microcenter so that option is out for me. If I have to pay an extra few bucks whetever.

What mobo were you thinking? any input is welcome. This is a great system as it is but if I can make it better and not spend too much more I'm willing to do so.

Unfortunately I dont know anyone near a microcenter so that option is out for me. If I have to pay an extra few bucks whetever.

What mobo were you thinking? any input is welcome. This is a great system as it is but if I can make it better and not spend too much more I'm willing to do so.

was gon suggest http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188051, only $10 more; and that ram I have is DDR3 which is compatible w/ that evga mobo and that gigabyte mobo that site listed...but for ram wise, id suggest either a corsair,ocz or mushkin...whicheva u prefer

btw, u plannin to do some OC' on that rig of yours? if so, then should really consider an aftermarket cooler

hmm no as of yet but maybe...I could consider it. Will I really need to?

no, u dont really have too, its up to you really, but you dont really need an aftermarket cooler unless ur goin over 3.2ghz

This Memory is close to that and on Newegg Canada

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227388

You will also NEED a 64-bit OS if you plan to use that much memory fully. 6GB combined with your video card memory will be way over the 4GB max. You video card will take some first then whatever is left your Windows will have unless you use a 64bit OS.

(edited)

So my case arrived today, the power supply, hard drives and SATA cables came last week.

I'm going to be putting in another order hopefully end of this week for Mobo, CPU, RAM and video card. I got my bro to figure out what to get but he's being lazy. I wanna stay with the i7 set, keep good components but leave room for upgrades later on down the road should I need to.

If anyone wants to build around the i7 920, add RAM and Mobo and even graphics card feel free to throw some suggestions. I'm not looking to spend UBER amounts of money but I'm looking for top performance. I want a PC where I can run everything at max specs as opposed to turning everything down to minimum which has been my life for the past oohh I dont know forever.

thanks for all the support and ideas you guys have given me! I appreciate you taking the time to help a noob get his new system built!

X

Edited by Xterminator

opposed to turning everything down to minimum which has been my life for the past oohh I dont know forever.

At least 7 years...

N82E16811129064

N82E16822136284

N82E16813128374

N82E16819115202

N82E16820227365

N82E16814161277

or

N82E16814102825

N82E16824236049

or

N82E16824009167

opposed to turning everything down to minimum which has been my life for the past oohh I dont know forever.

At least 7 years...

N82E16811129064

N82E16822136284

N82E16813128374

N82E16819115202

N82E16820227365

N82E16814161277

or

N82E16814102825

N82E16824236049

or

N82E16824009167

urk!?! i'm confuzled!

thanks lousiest...good to know!

now the only problem is I still havn't decided on RAM. I know many of you guys posted links in previous posts for DDR3 but i'm having trouble deciding what's best for me. How much should I get?, what should I get? Who's the most reliable for RAM these days? OCZ, Corsair? anyone else?

I think the 920, coupled with the 4890 as stated in your link, will future-proof your rig for a good number of years. What's better, that mobo supports xfire. And all that for a pretty good price range.

Edit: Oops, didn't know you were replying. Deleted original post for minor edit.

Edited by lousiest