Xterminator's Computer

Xterminator

now the only problem is I still havn't decided on RAM. I know many of you guys posted links in previous posts for DDR3 but i'm having trouble deciding what's best for me. How much should I get?, what should I get? Who's the most reliable for RAM these days? OCZ, Corsair? anyone else?

An article I came across on Tom's: Core i7 Memory Scaling: From DDR3-800 to DDR3-1600

For brands, IMHO I don't think you can go wrong by sticking with popular ones. Myself, once I've decided on the type of RAM I want, I tend to go with reviews, discounts and rebates on NewEgg (simply because that's where I normally shop for parts).

Edited by lousiest

(edited)

Update:

So i've ordered the rest of my computer (minus audio card which will be later):

Qty 1 --> GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Qty 1 --> Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Qty 1 --> OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail

Qty 1 --> XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Qty 1 --> Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 120mm SSO CPU Cooler - Retail

I should be getting everything by the end of the week so hopefully I can have it all built for this weekend. I'll keep you guys posted. Maybe take some pics of the build if I can find a digital camera in this house!

If anyone has any suggestions on good audio cards i'm all ears. I'm not too familiar with audio cards but I want performance.

Thanks!

Edited by Xterminator

Colleague of mine has this installed in his office computer. Was there to listen to it and it was heavenly. It was like surround sound but with only 2 speakers. Then again, his speakers were probably of good quality (not Bose, but some other brand I've not heard of before. I only know this cause he gave me a lecture on how Bose is overrated :shrug03: )

Colleague of mine has this installed in his office computer. Was there to listen to it and it was heavenly. It was like surround sound but with only 2 speakers. Then again, his speakers were probably of good quality (not Bose, but some other brand I've not heard of before. I only know this cause he gave me a lecture on how Bose is overrated :shrug03: )

I have that card for sale if your interested, the one that lousiest linked

:o niceee! I love it the feeling of when all your parts are in, cant wait for the final build, have fun man, I sure did when I built mine, and lookin forward for the weekend to build another one hehe, should be all comin tomorrow

Nice clean build X!

Thanks! It was a good learning experience for building comps. The other side is helpful because we hid a lot of cables back there to keep it clean. I did have my brother helping but there were a few points where we got stuck and had to look some things up. I know that products are standardized and that it should be simple to plug and play but for the new guy it's not that easy. I had some issues when installing the mobo. There were 2 mounting screws that I couldn't tighten all the way because components were in the way. I decided to use some rubber stoppers (which can be found all along the case) so that the screw would still thread but sit higher allowing me to tighten more. Installing the Hard drives was fun. Originally I went with the middle bay which I assume was intended for Hard drives but the SATA cables were in the way of the video card so the drives were relocated to the bottom bay.

One question I had. When installing the power supply, the bracket for it in the bottom has a slot cut out for the fan so we mounted it fan down. I looked online at random builds with this particular power supply and noticed that people had gone both ways, fan down and fan up. I wasn't sure which way to go so I went fan down. The power supply is sitting on a frame (as mentioned) which lets air circulate so I think it'll be alright.

After all is said and done I had a great time building this and look forward to many more builds in the future.

My one friend recommended that I place Bounty sheets on any exposes holes on the case (fans and such) to prevent dust from entering in. He said it shouldn't degrade from air intake but it will keep out the dust. He said his basement is fairly dusty and with the sheets his computer is relatively dust free after 6 months.

One question I had. When installing the power supply, the bracket for it in the bottom has a slot cut out for the fan so we mounted it fan down. I looked online at random builds with this particular power supply and noticed that people had gone both ways, fan down and fan up. I wasn't sure which way to go so I went fan down. The power supply is sitting on a frame (as mentioned) which lets air circulate so I think it'll be alright.

lucky mine case doesnt have that hole-cut out so I have to make the fan face up, but I have enuff fans inside that it's not makin much of a differance heat wise

I have the fan of mine pointing down and blowing air out of the case. I elevate my case (the default case stands do elevate it a little, but not by much) further to increase air flow.

I have the fan of mine pointing down and blowing air out of the case. I elevate my case (the default case stands do elevate it a little, but not by much) further to increase air flow.

Unfortunately I can't blow air out of the case from the bottom but I did setup the heatsink so that the bottom fan blows into the heatsink. The top fan sucks the air out and blows it up to the top of the case and the top fan blows it all out after that.

yea wish my case had that cut-out on mine, I would cut-it-out myself but naw dont wanna ruin my case hehe but I did cut-out a couple holes inside for cable management tho

You might want to flip your PSU. I'm fairly certain the fan in the back is intake and the internal PSU fan is exhaust. If you have it down, it's gonna blow air down and the hot air will just rise back up. If you have it pointing up, then the hot air will be pulled out by your cases rear exhaust fans.

You might want to flip your PSU. I'm fairly certain the fan in the back is intake and the internal PSU fan is exhaust. If you have it down, it's gonna blow air down and the hot air will just rise back up. If you have it pointing up, then the hot air will be pulled out by your cases rear exhaust fans.

this is how mine is set-up

120mm back fan -exhaust

2x120mm front fans - intake

200mm top fan - exhaust

120mm side fan - intake

and of psu, it has 140mm fan, so its either on top/bottom, not the back, so have no choice to let the fan face upwards since i have no cut-up hole on the bottom for the psu