I've joined a gym!

Xterminator

For a while now i've been looking at this forum but have never had the opportunity to post anything until now.

My New Years Resolution (cue laughter) was to get back into shape. I kinda put it on the back burner until last week. I'm not sure if it was just a challenge I wanted to get back into shape, or that 5 patty burger I ate as a dare (which caused some slight chest pains haha).

Either way I joined a local gym last week and hired a personal trainer. I chose a specific gym because my trainer is my best friends sister whom i've known for years. I figure, if I have someone who I know, I can't make up excuses not to work out and stuff. I had a fitness evaluation last week and despite my thoughts I came out average (I thought I was going to bomb it). I'll be focusing on my upper body since it's weaker than my lower body. I had my first session today and it kicked my butt. After a protein shake and a small nap I am feeling surprisingly a lot better than I did after the workout. Maybe i'll feel the pain tomorrow, we'll see.

I also signed up for some nutrition classes which start tomorrow for me. I'm finding that one of my biggest challenges is changing my eating habits. So far i've kicked my pop/soda habit. I havn't had any carbonated drinks in 3 days which is a great start for me. I've been drinking a lot of water. I am having troubles in the eating department. So many foods that I love but are not really nutritional. I'll have to make that change and do what the doc orders if I want results.

They gave me a list of foods that are good and bad and have even given me a sample table for all the days of the week and what I could potentially eat for each meal. I'm giving this thing my best and I'm hoping to get back into shape like I was in my early highschool days. I'll try and keep you guys posted

thanks and as they say at my gym "Have a great workout!" (corny, yet cool)

X

• 1 month later...

small update:

I'm still going to the gym and my first Weigh-in (6 weeks after starting) I lost 5 pounds, gained an inch on my biceps, lost an inch on my waist. Small progress but never the less it's progress! I'm going to try and keep up the pace. I'm finding it difficult changing my eating habits but It's being done. I've pretty much kicked my pop (soda for you americans) habbit so i'm trying to drink water as much as I can and maybe some juice once in a while.

When I get some more time I want to join some sort of competitive league just for fun, maybe soccer or something. We'll see!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

update!

Alright a quick update for Jiffy

I'm approximately 179lbs (started at 186lbs). Most of that has been turned into muscle that's why it doesn't seem like I lost much. Waist dropped from a 36 to a 32 (so the tape measure says) but my 36 size jeans still feel ok. I've completely kicked my pop habbit. I've been eating more greens and fruits now than I was before. I feel like I have energy (except after my workouts because my trainer takes it all). It's going well. I have a few more training sessions with the trainer then i'm on my own. My goal is to get rid of my small belly and perhaps locate my 6 pack. Small steps of course!

It's going well. I've also taken up soccer. I play on tuesday nights (when I can) just to get some form of cardio in. It's really fun. All in all i'm happy with the results so far and it's noticeable because all my friends notice it without me even mentioning anything that i'm at a gym.

Good times! i'll try and post up my "weigh-in" numbers when i get some time.

nice! Like you said, actual weight matters little. It is def how it is comprised of, % body fat and the likes. I played soccer 13yrs +, definitely is a great workout. I can't run just to run, boring...

And I think the hardest thing is getting started, once you have a routine it makes everything so much easier. keep it up, good sir.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

So i've been incognito for a bit both in this forum as well as in the gym. I lost my motivation for the gym BUT I havn't given up on working out. Every tuesday night when i'm on day shift I play indoor soccer.

I also joined a soccer league that starts end of may and will be playing every sunday 7-9pm and we'll have sporadic practices when we can. I am enjoying going out and playing team sports. I never had the opportunity to do so growing up so now i'm making up for it!

Good times!