Currently playing DDOnline

Flitterkill

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah - down the rabbit hole for me.

It's certainly not WoW. Thats not a bad thing.

Good parties compliment each other very well and quests become a joy to run. As you move up in levels, the quests become more complicated and abstract in some senses. For example, one 8th-10th level quest is called the Xorian Cipher and the dungeon involves large two-three meter (in game scale) orbs of extra-planar matter rolling around in the rooms and corridors - contact with which triggers random spells upon you. If you consider how many spells there are... yeah - quite interesting. Raids start popping up in the teens for level; most (all?) of which is VIP (pay) only.

The free-2-play with pay store system works rather well. Those hooked will likely pay in advance for one year of vip access to unlock everything automatically, at which point it is somewhere between 10 and 12 a month. After a year, either you will be well and truly burned out and leave, or can drop back down to free-2-play again.

1) Free-2-play = 2 characters per server, very limited auctions (for selling your gear ingame), no monk or warforged characters, or drow race (though you can earn in-game favor to unlock them, or buy pay quests VIPs automatically get, etc.) Truthfully, you *could* get access to everything by creating characters across all 5 or 6 game worlds and busting your donkey on in-game achievements to accrue points to use in the DDO store to buy pay quests, etc. Turbine is banking on folks not wanting to bust their posteriors that much.

2) Buy anything at all one time = Your account then unlocks to 4 characters per server, unlimited auctions, possibly unlimited gold, etc. Characters and races locked before stay locked but again, you can buy that stuff outright or earn in-game points to unlock.

3) VIP = $12 to $15/month - 12 characters (?) per server, all content open to you.

I have enjoyed playing it quite a bit and have yet to really get to the "good" stuff.

If you are playing free, what you get is ridiculous for what you are paying...

I suspect the game will have at least a brief renaissance and will bring in a lot more people. Whether those people stick around a year from now (apparently new content is jacked in every 9 months to a year or so) is anybodies guess. There is a stupid amount of free mmos out right now. Star Trek is going to be different; Star Wars Old Republic will burst out of the gate. You other folks are listening to the Human League and playing Aion with your fey angelic avatars. And WoW of course is still around... Brutal competition in this space right now.

I do miss fps twitch play, but this game does have a pretty active melee system - positioning, swings, etc all matter so some dexterity on the players part is required.

Not sure what else to say - could start spamming screenshots to the gallery I guess. FYI I have the std resolution game pack, I'll prob put in the higher res pack soon - supposed to be pretty alright.

-Fk

Substantial, it is an *active* melee system - move in, swing to attack, block with shield, jumping, additional modifiers by character type (trip, rage, etc). Plus everything clerics, rogues, mages, etc can add to the mix.

You cannot change Mouse 1 or Mouse 2. For me this was almost a deal breaker for a moment - It is assumed folks use WASD for movement and if you do, then you are fine.

I don't - never have. For FPS (and in Neverwinter Nights) right mouse is forward movement and mouse look at the same time with left mouse as attack.

In this game, left mouse is still attack (action, whatever) and right mouse when depressed is mouse look (turn orient character) and when not depressed a free ranging cursor (to move cursor to an object or menu button and then left mouse to select as always)

Took an hour or two to adjust but my fix works pretty well for me as I have forward movement bound to the side button on the G5 mouse. Without a side button I would not be playing this game. Sounds harsh but my strange non-WASD ways do cause problems from time to time. For left right strafe movements, I use as I always have.

http://www.ddo.com/ddogameinfo/combat

-Fk

Ooh, that would drive me crazy too. I'm a mouse runner too - and like to remap to SDF instead of ASD. I wonder if whoever chose WASD as the standard thought about moving over one by one key to gain 3+ more easily accessible keys.

And how about PVP? Sorry, I haven't done a ton of research on this game just yet, but you're getting me interested. :)

And Bushwack - have you tried it out yet?

• 4 months later...

I've been playing DDO since pre-launch, and I now play it for free.. Free is not bad a low lvl, but once you get into the higher modules/quests you will find more and more you can not do unless you buy the modules/quests.. It gets annoying getting a party together only to find out you can't enter the quest with your party and you are left behind.. The community is very nice and friendly, I have yet to get someone vulgar in a party so I'm cool with my 15 yr old playing the game now that its free..

Still playing it as well.

Dropping $20 to $30 on the game to pick up a few sections is worth it for the amount of enjoyment this game gives. Delera's for 1-10, and then take your pick for what you want levels 11 to 20.

Oh - the idiots are out there though, but also plenty of cool people. Avoid the "comic book guy" types and you should be fine.

-Fk

Still playing it as well.

Dropping $20 to $30 on the game to pick up a few sections is worth it for the amount of enjoyment this game gives. Delera's for 1-10, and then take your pick for what you want levels 11 to 20.

Oh - the idiots are out there though, but also plenty of cool people. Avoid the "comic book guy" types and you should be fine.

-Fk

I'd pick up Gianthold if I were you..

I tried playing this for a while, but I hate the control scheme. I believe that in an MMO, where you've got powers out the wazoo, clicking for something as mundane as swinging a sword is...well, just annoying. I also don't like the whole brake things open with your sword to get treasure bit.

I dunno...I have yet to find an MMO that really gets me hooked...not since the glory days of UO.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to hear DDO is doing so well, I used to play it when it first came out, may have to reactivate my acct and check it out, been playing Shaiya for the last year, Free to play with an in game store. All content open to all too.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to hear DDO is doing so well, I used to play it when it first came out, may have to reactivate my acct and check it out, been playing Shaiya for the last year, Free to play with an in game store. All content open to all too.

Lobo,

I gave Shaiya a try, it's not bad! What server do you play on and what is your toon's name??