Trying to get CS:S back.

flux

So I bought HL2 when it first came out and I stopped playing it like 3 months later due to me losing my internet. Long story short; the only thing I remember is the e-mail I linked my CS:S to. Is there anyways I can get my password back from their customer support or anything of that nature. Any help is greatly appreciated...

Anthony

(edited)

Happy Birthday! :luxhello:

Did that help?

Haha not really but it made me smile. Thanks though! I e-mailed steam and I figured out my account name and password but my CS:S is not there now. Hrm... now I have to find my CD key I'm assuming.

Edited by flux

I think I could send my spare CS:S key to you as a gift through steam if you can't find your original.

That'd be awesome if you have a spare! I got onto my account that had Source on it this past weekend but for some reason it quits on my right as I try and log into it. I installed it to my other account and the .exe file quits on me. So if you want to do that maybe we can? Let me know!

I think I could send my spare CS:S key to you as a gift through steam if you can't find your original.

That'd be awesome if you have a spare! I got onto my account that had Source on it this past weekend but for some reason it quits on my right as I try and log into it. I installed it to my other account and the .exe file quits on me. So if you want to do that maybe we can? Let me know!

Wait - if Steam quits on you right as you open it, how would you know if you have CS:S on the account? I found out you can't "ungift" a CD key after you send it, so this might mess up two copies of CS instead of one. I'd rather hold off until you get your steam issues resolved first. After it's working, and you confirm CS isn't on there, PM me your steam ID and we'll make it happen. :)

unclean is right.

you might want to uninstall and reinstall steam. if you associated your cd key with steam, you'll be able to redownload counter strike no problem.

I got an e-mail from steam and they have no records of me introducing CS:S to the account I'm using now. I restarted steam this morning and it still didn't work on my other account so I'm just going to not use that one and use my current account with no CS:S then. I can't find my old CD key anywhere.

Ack! My bad - I went into Steam yesterday, and I have an extra key for HL2, not CS:S. Thought they were the same thing (I'm not a CS:S guy). Sorry!

But so I understand you correctly:

1. You have a Steam account with CS:S. You have the email address for this one but not the password.

2. You have a second Steam account without CS:S (you're using this one now).

Have you contacted Steam support to get a password reset on the first one? Do you still have access to the first email address?

Ack! My bad - I went into Steam yesterday, and I have an extra key for HL2, not CS:S. Thought they were the same thing (I'm not a CS:S guy). Sorry!

But so I understand you correctly:

1. You have a Steam account with CS:S. You have the email address for this one but not the password.

2. You have a second Steam account without CS:S (you're using this one now).

Have you contacted Steam support to get a password reset on the first one? Do you still have access to the first email address?

Yes I have a few accounts that I use and I couldn't remember which one had CS:S on it. I installed it on one account but when I try and load it, hl2.exe quits on me and says I cannot get into it. I try and pull it up like regular CS and it won't come up. Just quits on me and it happens every time. I don't know what the problem is now. I'm assuming it works, now there might just be another problem??

Yes I have a few accounts that I use and I couldn't remember which one had CS:S on it. I installed it on one account but when I try and load it, hl2.exe quits on me and says I cannot get into it. I try and pull it up like regular CS and it won't come up. Just quits on me and it happens every time. I don't know what the problem is now. I'm assuming it works, now there might just be another problem??

when you launch steam, what shows up under "available games" (in the my games tab)?

when you launch steam, what shows up under "available games" (in the my games tab)?

All of my accounts show CS but only one of them has both; CS and CS:S.

write down the username and password for the account that has both cs and css.

uninstall hl2 and/or css (both if both show) from add remove programs. uninstall steam. reinstall steam. login with the username and password you wrote down. go to my games, then install css from there. it'll take a couple hours to download, but should fix your problems.

write down the username and password for the account that has both cs and css.

uninstall hl2 and/or css (both if both show) from add remove programs. uninstall steam. reinstall steam. login with the username and password you wrote down. go to my games, then install css from there. it'll take a couple hours to download, but should fix your problems.

I'm going to try it out in a little bit when I get on my other computer. Thanks for the help and I'll keep you posted.

So I got everything uninstalled and then reinstalled. HL2.EXE still quits on my when I try and load CS:S right before the screen pops up. So I'm not sure what the problem is. Basically it's still doing the same thing as before on my account with both games.

now that i'm a mac, i've gotten in the lazy habit of blowing out my windows install anytime stuff like this happens. i'm not sure how helpful these next suggestions will be.

- are you sure hl2 was fully uninstalled?

- if you're not able to play *any* games, start by updating your drivers, and if you haven't already, make sure you've got the most recent windows updates.

- if you're able to play other games, uninstall (again) steam and hl2, but for good measure, do it from safe mode. then run something like http://www.ccleaner.com/, also from safe mode.

- boot normally, reinstall steam, sign in, then install counter strike source from steam.

good luck man.

now that i'm a mac, i've gotten in the lazy habit of blowing out my windows install anytime stuff like this happens. i'm not sure how helpful these next suggestions will be.

- are you sure hl2 was fully uninstalled?

- if you're not able to play *any* games, start by updating your drivers, and if you haven't already, make sure you've got the most recent windows updates.

- if you're able to play other games, uninstall (again) steam and hl2, but for good measure, do it from safe mode. then run something like http://www.ccleaner.com/, also from safe mode.

- boot normally, reinstall steam, sign in, then install counter strike source from steam.

good luck man.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm going to get an upgrade of my OS this weekend; hopefully. I might go ahead and try this first or I might just wait to do it after I upgrade. I need to upgrade for my Zune HD because my Windows is too old I guess. Who knows? But thanks again and I'm gonna try some new stuff out. I'll keep ya posted ... if I get nothing I'll be back on Monday haha.

Alright so I went to install Windows 7 on my computer and my HD took a dump on me. So I have to pick up a new one and then re-install the OS on my computer. So it's taking a little longer than expected. Gonna try and run CS:S as soon as the computer is back up and running.

format c: /s

I'm still waiting on a friend to come bring me a HD. I'd rather wait and get it for free than to spend the money right now. It's not in the budget so I really can't. He's supposed to come through tonight and bring it. But what I did do is log on to my girlfriend's brothers computer and logged onto my account with source. It turns out that I do have it on that account but it ran like poo poo. Gotta check it out on my computer now.

have you tried doing a full format (instead of quick format) during the windows installation?

have you cleaned your optical drive with a lens cleaner to make sure it didn't crap out from a smudge on the disc?

can you pat your head and rub your tummy?

have you tried doing a full format (instead of quick format) during the windows installation?

have you cleaned your optical drive with a lens cleaner to make sure it didn't crap out from a smudge on the disc?

can you pat your head and rub your tummy?

Yeah man lol. I've tried just about everything. I know what's going on when it comes to hardware. I built the computer I have running my games and know what's going on. I just have trouble with the software and things like that haha. But I need to go out and shop for a new HD and then I can install my OS again and take it from there.