COD: Modern Warfare 2

Ted_Break_Danson

I beat it earlier today. It's fun. There's a "Special Ops" mode as well which has support for two players co-op, or you can do it solo, I have a feeling I'll be doing that solo...

I beat the campaign in 7 hours and 43 minutes on the Normal difficulty. I'm not sure if the time played in the statistics counts dying or having to replay some parts. If you are in the middle of a mission it will do check points, but if you close the game and come back, it will always start at the beginning of the mission. Kind of a bummer, I think Call of Duty 4 did that as well.

The multiplayer is good when it works. I've played it for I think 3-4 hours last night and I had maybe only 1 or 2 games that were unplayable because of lag. It's not really obvious who is hosting either, they will technically have no lag, but I haven't seen people completely dominate because of it. Once you get in a game it will keep you with those people from map to map until you quit. So if you're not getting any lag, you won't at any point if you stick with those people. I've only had one time so far where the host dropped and it had to find a new one, it worked well. It does the whole "Searching for New Host" then it finds a new one, then the game pauses 5 seconds, then continues right where it left off.

I know a lot of people are up in a cut about the number of players in multiplayer being only 9vs9, but that's not a bad number at all. I honestly think I like it more than the 16vs16 or whatever Call of Duty 4 was. I know Infinity Ward has said this over and over but the maps ARE designed for 9vs9. You never feel like the maps are completely empty and there's never so many people that you die a second after you spawn. The game mode I prefer is Mercenary Team Deathmatch (Mercenary means no private groups), it's 6vs6 max players, not even the 9vs9 and it still feels good. After playing with people for an hour you feel like you get to know them better than a dedicated server with over 30 people, even if you will never see them again. If you want to play with people you know you can join a party with them and go from game to game together as a group.

They improved the multiplayer a lot I think. Like taking Marty out as something that always happens when you die and putting it as a deathstreak, so you have to die a certain amount of times before you can get it. Same with the Juggernaut and Last Stand perks. Not going to win the game dying a whole bunch, that's for sure. They have like, 15 or so kill streaks this time and you can pick which ever ones you want. The highest one is 25 kills, which is a Tactical Nuke. It wins the game for you, no matter what. There's also pro-versions of perks, so if you use a perk enough you can unlock a bonus for it. They also moved shotguns and rocket launchers to secondary weapons. Which means you can shoot down air support and still be helpful with a primary weapon, you can also actually shoot down UAVs this time.

Anyway, to make a long story short. The MP is good as long as you are in games that don't have lag. If you want to play with people you know you'll have to invite them via your friends Steam list instead of just having a dedicated server to go to. But this solves the problem of sitting in a server by yourself waiting for people to join. I guess it's a personal preference.

Overall, I like it.

...this turned out a lot longer than I thought it would be...

In a weird way, I like the player cap. In COD4, I remember that one tiny map where they'd stick 32 players in, and people would literally be getting shot the second they spawned. Then they'd have that perk to drop a grenade when they died, so it was just chaos the entire time. Otherwise it was "Just hold down the fire button when you spawn and maybe you'll get lucky".

In a weird way, I like the player cap. In COD4, I remember that one tiny map where they'd stick 32 players in, and people would literally be getting shot the second they spawned. Then they'd have that perk to drop a grenade when they died, so it was just chaos the entire time. Otherwise it was "Just hold down the fire button when you spawn and maybe you'll get lucky".

Ah shipment...how I hated thee (though great place to level up your guns).

I'm playing the 360 version...great fun...horrible time trying to play with friends some times though...but at least I won't get the urge to buy the PC version in a few months like I did with COD4.

Hey guys

I got modern warfare 2 yesterday and beat it in the same day. It took me roughly 6 hours on Regular. I started out on hardened but it was very difficult and I kept dying to quickly, Regular was a good challenge but i'll try it again on hardened now that I got a feel for the game. I havn't tried out Special ops or multiplayer but that's next on the agenda. Next week when i'm on day shift i'll have time to play in the evening, maybe we can set something up and get a couple of GC guys online, have someone make a server and we can have some fun!

I've seen that. I'm not calling anyone a liar or anything, but the chances of that happening and the guy just so happening to be capturing seems kind of fishy too me.

Apparently the guy honestly thought he had grenades equipped. Totally unintentional...win.

So the guy just captures everything when he plays? :D

The throwing knives are really fun though. Yesterday I was holding one down ready to be thrown, me and a guy met around a corner I threw my knife and he knifed me, we both fell down dead right on top of each other.

The throwing knives kill people in one hit no matter where they hit you, it seems to make a lot of people mad. Or people just hate me...

That's one thing I don't like about this game, which really isn't the games fault. Since it's so popular it attracts so many people. A lot of people online are total jerks. Some guy said "fu", but the full thing, too me like five times in one match Sunday. I try my best to be a nice guy though.:hug:

Edited by VooDooPC

It's not much better on XBL...being able to mute people quickly is a definite plus (I assume you can do the same on the PC)

I've gotten two kills with throwing knives so far. One was cheap, the other I wish I had a video of as it was pure luck, nothing spectacular but made the guy cuss me out after the match, calling me a hacker lol...yeah, hacking a game that's not even a week old on the 360...:shrug03:

You can mute people on the PC, but I'm not sure if muting them also disables their text chat. That's where 99% of the insults thrown at me come from.

I've heard people say there are a lot of hackers on the PC version, but I haven't seen a single one. The only thing I've seen is someone with a hacked account that had 10th level prestige but even he wasn't using an aim bot or something. I think the stories of so many hackers comes from the Modern Warfare 2 official PC forums where everyone is trying to get people to not buy the game. I swear, if you go on there and say something like, "The MP isn't actually that bad" everyone will rip you apart without a second thought calling you names, not a true PC gamer or saying you are a 10 year old kid. It's really bad.

You can mute people on the PC, but I'm not sure if muting them also disables their text chat. That's where 99% of the insults thrown at me come from.

I've heard people say there are a lot of hackers on the PC version, but I haven't seen a single one. The only thing I've seen is someone with a hacked account that had 10th level prestige but even he wasn't using an aim bot or something. I think the stories of so many hackers comes from the Modern Warfare 2 official PC forums where everyone is trying to get people to not buy the game. I swear, if you go on there and say something like, "The MP isn't actually that bad" everyone will rip you apart without a second thought calling you names, not a true PC gamer or saying you are a 10 year old kid. It's really bad.

Let people say what they want. The reason I dont do forums anymore (besides this one) is because of the immaturity of some people. Frankly I'm enjoying the MP and can't wait to get more achievements, level up and stuff like that. !

People have hacked their version of the game so that when they host, it changes the mechanics drastically...there's a youtube vid floating around somewhere. It's not just one person but the entire server that gets the "hacks", which is why you probably won't notice it unless you actually get into one of the hacked "servers"

Side note, I'm surprised they left text chat in lol

I have seen those videos, when people talked about hackers in the game I assumed they meant something like wall hackers or aimbots.

In the grand scheme of things I wonder who does something about those people hacking their own sever. Is it Infinity Ward because their EXE was cracked to enable the console and this crazy other stuff, or is it Valve because they are kind of hacking. It seems like either one could easily find these people, they are gaining stats so it's not like they are doing this off the radar.

Edited by VooDooPC

I have seen those videos, when people talked about hackers in the game I assumed they meant something like wall hackers or aimbots.

In the grand scheme of things I wonder who does something about those people hacking their own sever. Is it Infinity Ward because their EXE was cracked to enable the console and this crazy other stuff, or is it Valve because they are kind of hacking. It seems like either one could easily find these people, they are gaining stats so it's not like they are doing this off the radar.

If I were Valve I wouldn't want anything to do with this situation. I would tell IW and hActivision to get it fixed pronto.

I guess you're right. IW just needs to release a patch or something. Even if people stay with the old version they might be able to still play their dedicated servers but having an older version probably wouldn't send XP to the Steam servers. Or they can somehow lock the dedicated servers out completely on their end, regardless of a patch. I guess in the end it doesn't matter too me, I'd never play on a server with infinite grenade launchers. *shudders*

Edited by VooDooPC

i've only played the game for a couple hours (lvl 13), but am thoroughly enjoying it..

Yeah I have to say I was pretty skeptical at first, thinking it would just be an airstrike fest again, which is why I stopped playing MW1 but they really balanced all that stuff out. Now if I could just learn the maps!