R.I.P. Wayfarer aka Paul Kostuik

Fatty

When Ebil went to chat up Wayfarer after she saw him log on to WoW, she was greeted not by him but his nephew, who informed her that Wayfarer had passed away.

KOSTUIK, Paul - It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Paul Kostuik in Barrie, Paul was called to heaven to be with his parents James and Brenda and brother Peter on September 9, 2009 at the age of 38. Paul is at peace after a courageous battle with ALS and depression. He will be sadly missed by his family Holly, wife of the late Peter, Patricia and her husband Shawn, and Pamela and her husband Jim. Loving uncle to Talis (Derek), Ashley, Michael, Michelle and Kelli. Family and friends will be received at the Ward Funeral Home, 2035 Weston Rd. (north of Lawrence Ave.), Weston Weston on Sunday, from 12-2 p.m. with a small service at 2 p.m. followed by cremation with interment at Park Lawn Cemetery at a future date. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Crisis Centres and Suicide Prevention would be appreciated by the family. A Book of Memories may be signed at www.wardfuneralhome.com

Above was taken from: http://wardfh.frontrunnerpro.com/runtime/473/runtime.php?SiteId=473&NavigatorId=42359&op=tributeObituary&viewOpt=dpaneOnly&ItemId=336447

GC has created a memorial donation page to support the Distress Centres of Ontario.

You can search through Wayfarer's posts using the forums to see that he was battling quite a bit, but always found a way to be positive for the most part. We always enjoyed his activity in GC, drew strength from his participation in our Biggest Loser weight loss challenges, and met him in 2006 at FragFestOhio.

ff06groups_010.jpg

Here he is in the front of the group of just GC members with arm's crossed. Hmm...maybe that's not the GC picture...not sure which that is!

Browse the rest of the FF06 pics: http://www.fragfestohio.com/ff06/06picalbum/pages/ff06groups_011.shtml

ff06groups_024.jpg

Yup, he was one of our favorite Canucks!

Post up some memories or link to posts or fun things so we can remember Wayfarer and celebrate the time that we did have with him.

Thanks all, and RIP WAY.

Aww man...so I guess it's true. I knew he had health problems, he had mentioned that before, but I never knew exactly what he had, or how serious. What I do know is that he was one of the nicest guys that you would ever want to meet, and I am glad that I had that chance at Fragfest. We talked quite a bit there, not really about anything heavy, just hanging out, enjoying the event, and shootin the pewp....usually in the bar, lol.

I was pretty surprised to see the mention of depression because you would never know it talking to him, even when he was still active in CS, he always seemed to be in a great mood and always had a polite greeting for all of his friends in the server and liked to chat. He really was a great guy to play with.

I regret that it had been quite some time since I had talked to him, I kinda thought that we just simply lost him to WOW....and I never log into vent, but I hear he used to be in there alot. I never knew he had something so threatening to his life...now I wish I would have talked to him more...

Great guy....I really don't know what else I can say...I hope he has found peace.

My heart goes out to the GC community that has lost a friend. I did not know Wayfarer at all as I used to be part of the UT community, however I had to express my condolences. The BBR UT99 community lost a friend that suffered from depression quite a few years ago, so I can relate in that aspect. I was also surprised to see how close the service is happening to where I live. RIP my fellow Canuck.

Edited by k.dee

Ahhh crud. What a terrible way to have been brought back to these forums. I remember some of the first times playing on GC, wayfarer really treated me like a regular. Never forgot how much fun it was to game with him. You really don't think about the person behind it all as much as you should. I know I will think of him. If anyone knows his family make sure to send our best to them (and let us know if there is going to be a collection for donation from GC, if so I would throw some $ at that).

After the first email I had to stop and re-read it, I never knew Wayfarer all that well, really only as ships in the night, but through his activity in the community I felt I knew him perhaps more than I really did and at least had an idea of some of the things he was going through.

I'm greatly saddened to hear the news, I'm not that active around here at the moment and I know I only knew Wayfarer as an acquaintance really, but it feels like I've lost a close friend.

He will be missed.

Fatty, choose an amount. I can't see how GC cannot make a donation to Crisis Centres and Suicide Prevention in his name c/o his friends at GC.

-Fk

+ 1

Its odd knowing someone so long, but not really "knowing" them. I never got a chance to meet him in person, but he always had a kind word or greeting for me, and I can't say there was ever a time I didn't enjoy his input.

RIP Wayfarer, and I'm sure Ill see you someday...

sad day as a canadian and cs player. really feel like i've lost one of my own. wish i'd made it to that 06 ff and met him just once.

hmm, that funeral is only about 25 minutes drive from my place. that really hits home.

R.I.P. Wayfarer. I remember playing CS with him quite often and always enjoyed him in-game, but I never had the chance to know him personally. :( I guess when a community member disappears for a while, I always just assume that they're busy with life, work, new games, family, etc. I never imagine the worst. He'll be missed.

His smile and laugh is burned into my memory. We laughed so hard at FragFest- It was one of those gasping-for-air-can't-breathe-you-gotta-stop-it kinda laughs. He brought Danielle a hat when GC did a "Hat for Danielle", I'll try to find which one he sent and follow up.He was a good man, he'll have no problems.Love ya, Way!!

Gosh... I have been far and away since end of 2007, however I still keep checking the news... This one hit even me hard. I still remember playing with him on servers and even exchanging posts on the forum. I have been living in Canada at that time so I felt being even close to Canadian members such as him.

He was amongst the people who helped me feeling better and comfortable in North America during my time there. Now he looks down to us from above.

We won't forget him ever.