okay here we go, after 6 long years

lazarus

Hello All! Long time troller, occasional poster here. Wanted some expert opinions, so I came here!

Did a little research and priced this one out, nice thing is that i know everything will work/fit together.

$76.00 - AMD Athlon II X3 425 Rana 2.7GHz 3 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor - Retail

$49.99 - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

$59.99 - ASRock M3A770DE AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

$164.99 - SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Retail

$114.98 - Antec 300 ATX mid Tower Case and Antec 550W PSU Combo

$93.99 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Retail

$23.99 - LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW SATA CD/DVD Burner

$29.99 - Logitech Pro 2000 Black 104 Normal Keys 14 Function Keys Cordless Standard Keyboard - Retail

$42.99 - Logitech MX518 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB Wired Optical 1800 dpi Gaming Mouse - Retail

$1.99 - OKGEAR 18" SATA II Cable Model GC18ARM12 - Retail

-----------------

$658.90

Shipping: $17.72 (UPS 3 Day)

Win7 license off of Ebay: $20

TOTAL: 696.62

update:

Motherboard (more upgradable and bigger)

RAM (more reliable)

Video Card (faster and more reliable)

Hard Drive (doubled the cache)

got rid of the extra case fans (thanks flitter)

Edited by lazarus

Bare drive will be *only* the drive in an anti-static wrap. No cables. No manuals. No box.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318

If you game, that mouse is likely a better choice.

You have the illusion case selected. You do *not* need any more case fans. That case comes with more than enough air flow (top case fan, two front case fans) Doubt you need to trouble yourself with the side case fan.

Although I prefer the styling of the first version of the nine hundred Antec case, this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129058&cm_re=antec-_-11-129-058-_-Product

is the next version and will be substantially a more quiet case. I own both the orig Nine Hundred *and* the Three Hundred (sans Illusion with fans and led lights). The 300 has plenty of room but it really is just thin sheet metal. The 900 has a touch thicker metal (or at least the build makes it seem that way) plus between the two computers, there is no contest which is quieter, the 900 hands down.

You can get the same combo with the 900 (the power supply) plus, and this is more than a little important, right now there is a free shipping code right there on the page. Calculating the combos with shipping gets you:

121 for the 300, power supply, surge protector

145 for the 900, power supply.

Something to consider.

Can't help on the CPU; how does it stack to the newer i7 Intel stuff?

Your hard drive is problematic. Only 8 meg cache. For a primary (op sys) drive you should really have 32 meg cache. One example but I'd keep looking - deals pop up quite often. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320

EDIT: That HD right now is $60 shipped with coupon code: EMCLMMR32 (thru 1.20.2010)

Good luck!

-Fk

(edited)

Flitter, you the man.

I am over budget on this thing by $168 (gotta start thinking about paying the rent at some point). So getting the other case, while only a small price difference, makes a big difference to me.

and the mouse, have you used both? the one i listed seem to get better reviews.

thanks for the info about the the HD, never noticed that. But seems like in my little research, that HD cache size doesn't affect the gaming experience all that much. but I'll look into some more.

update:

I see the 300+PSU combo at 114 and the 900+PSU at 144. That's way too much difference, esp when I'm mostly concentrating on price.

Edited by lazarus

an interesting note from newegg on your cpu:

"Pros: Was able to unlock the 4th core by enabling ACC in the bios on my Asus M4A785-M motherboard. CPU has been stable under 100% load for 2 weeks now using Folding@Home. Not one bad WU.

Great bang for the buck processor. Would not hesitate to buy again. For $75 you get a nice quad core processor (provided you unlock the 4th core)."

Lets do it this way. What is your number you can spend (including shipping). Once I can see that, folks can start working on optional builds.

It WAS gonna be a $500 build, but adding in the cost of mouse, keyboards, OS, shipping, tax, etc...I figure I can go to about 650-700, EVERYTHING included.

I see you have not chosen or included an OS... is that covered, or does this throw the $$$ to the wind

So I have a buddy that has the software for Win7 Ultimate, so I'm just going to buy a licensing key off of ebay ($20)

Stick with the MX518 mouse. I'm currently using that mouse and its great for gaming and other use. Not too expensive like the newer logitechs, but still a very good mouse. Plus you'll save a little money over the laser mouse.

Okay I'll change it out.

Also, I going to change out some of the parts in the original build, check em out later, and let me know what you think. Slightly better parts for the same price.

When I built mine out (dig back two years for my build thread) I also tried to swing as much quality out of a budget a possible. No matter what folks say, if you are going budget, sales and rebates are your friends. Period. OCZ rebates are solid, always gotten mine.

That said, here is your new computer minus the keyboard and mouse - I'll let you change those up as your budget allows. This also gives you a slightly better video card (same specs essentially, but dual heads)

Bottom line? $508.37 after rebates.

SEE REVISED TWO POSTS DOWN - NEWEGG CART STRANGENESS HERE

Antec 300 Illusion

ECS Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X3 425 Rana

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VXL Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Lite-On cd/dvd sata burner

OCZ Reaper 4 gb Memory

WD 500 gb 16 meg cache Sata drive

Going off of the NewEgg cart price:

$621.37 outbound to NewEgg UPS 3 day shipping minus the following rebates:

-----------

$508.37 after rebates

Plus whatever for mouse and keyboard (I suggest you shop around for sweet mouse and keyboard)

Sata cables not needed, motherboard is retail package and has two already.

For a one stop budget build, as per the Geico/Charlie Daniels commercial, that's how ya do it son :)

Use it or lose it - combos, sales, and special video card coupons come and go like the wind...

Emailed the cart to your profile email address. The promo code that knocks $10 off the Video Card is VGA114A, don't forget to include that.

-Fk

Lols, after looking at the emailed cart, I think I have that setup for *8* gig of memory, and the cpu chip disappeared. :)

EDIT: Confirmed. Build setup with only 4 gig of ram comes to (shipping strangly higher...):

$606.37 Outbound to NewEgg minus

$30

$18

$25

$10

-----------

$523.37

Hells to the yes. Video card, Power Supply, DVD Burner, Case, Motherboard, 4 GB Memory, 500 GB Hard Drive, Free Surge Protector, CPU. Missing anything?

Not sure where that cpu got dropped in the first cart...

And also buy me a beer.

Note that this is a more or less one-and-done build. My build from two years ago I gave myself roughly a month to order the stuff and focused on the best and cheapest I could get shipped free. Spreading your build out and punching down the deals as they show up could save you another $50 or more.

EDIT: Yep, the G500 has a rebate now, $42 after rebate, so with sweet gaming mouse =

$565.37

+ whatever for keyboard.

-Fk

Even cheaper build...

ECS G41T-M(2.0) Motherboard + Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 750GB Hard Drive Combo = $61 shipped

Intel C2D E7400 CPU + 4 gig ram = $154

ThermalTake Case (Antec 900 knockoff) = $60 shipped

OCZ Powersupply = $46 shipped

$321 give or take a few bucks for shipping

Add $42 for the G500 mouse

$363 plus keyboard and vid card

With the Sapphire VaporX card, you are at about $519 shipped - beats the other build by almost $50 bucks. No clue comparing the AMD and this Intel chip though (it appears moving up to the i# Intel cpu range would add about $150 to $200 minimum based on increased motherboard and cpu costs :(

Can post links if you want them

-Fk

Give me a min or two to rebuild the cart...

AMD BUILD

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 100283VXL Video Card

$174.99 including the instant $10 off

-$10 coupon code VGA114A

-$10 rebate

---------------

$154.99 with free shipping

AMD Athlon II X3 425 2.7GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Processor

---------------

$76 with free shipping

ECS IC780M-A2 (V1.0A) AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

BELKIN F9H600-CW-BE 6 Outlets 885 Joules Wall Mount Surge Protector - FREE WITH CASE!

USE THIS COMBO LINK

$60 MB

$60 Case

$120 total minus

$18 combo bonus

$18 rebate

----------------

$84 (plus shipping in the $15 range)

Logitech G500 Mouse

$57 minus

$15 rebate

----------------

$42 with free shipping

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066

WD Caviar WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

USE THIS COMBO LINK FOR MEMORY AND HD

$106 Memory

$56 HD minus

$5 combo bonus

$30 rebate

----------------

$127 with free shipping

LITE-ON Black 24X Sata Burner

OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W

USE THIS COMBO LINK FOR BURNER AND POWER SUPPLY

$24 Burner

$70 Power Supply minus

$15 combo bonus

$25 rebate

----------------

$54 with approx $6 shipping

Totalled through with shipping and vid card coupon code is $565

Only thing missing is a keyboard (and monitor...)

Find a case and MB combo that has free shipping to save $15-ish bucks, though as is probably worth it for the Antec case.

Intel build in next post

-Fk

INTEL BUILD

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5770 100283VXL Video Card

$174.99 including the instant $10 off

-$10 coupon code VGA114A

-$10 rebate

---------------

$154.99 with free shipping

Logitech G500 Mouse

$57 minus

$15 rebate

----------------

$42 with free shipping

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066

Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 Wolfdale 2.8GHz

USE THIS COMBO LINK FOR MEMORY AND INTEL CPU

$106 Memory

$110 Intel CPU minus

$10 combo bonus

$30 rebate

----------------

$176 with free shipping

Thermaltake V9 Black Edition ATX Computer

$100 minus

$15 off w/ promo code EMCLMMR36, ends 1/20

$25 rebate

----------------

$60 with free shipping

ECS G41T-M(2.0) LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Seagate 750 GB 32 Meg Cache Sata Hard Drive

USE THIS COMBO LINK FOR MOTHERBOARD AND HARD DRIVE

$55 Motherboard

$60 Hard Drive minus

$38 Combo Discount

$16 rebate

-----------------

$61 with free shipping

LITE-ON Black 24X Sata Burner

OCZ Fatality 550 Power Supply

USE THIS COMBO LINK FOR BURNER AND POWER SUPPLY

$24 Burner

$70 Power Supply minus

$15 combo

$25 rebate

-----------------

$54 plus $6 shipping

All that nonsense aside, going off of the cart total including shipping and taking all the rebates and discounts off gets...

$700

-$10

-$15

---------

$675 after the two coupon codes (they will stack)

-$30

-$16

-$25

-$15

-$10

-$25

---------

$554 after rebates.

Not quite as good as a few hours ago...need to look again to be sure

Biggest differences between builds besides the cpu/mb is this one has a better hard drive (750 gig, 32 meg cache vs. 500 gig, 16 meg cache)

EDIT: Since the case is not tied to a combo, let's replace it!

NZXT BETA EVO Classic Series

$60 minus

$10 promo code EMCLMMN49

-$20 rebate

----------

$30 with free shipping

That knocks $30 off our build price for a total of:

$524

Keep in mind, these builds are built off of *NOW* prices and deals; here today, gone tomorrow.

The cheap NZXT case deal? Only good through today... EDIT: Yep, now $40 after rebate (dropped overall price, new rebate, but $10 shipping)

The point of these is to illustrate that you look for free shipping as often as possible, and if you really are on a budget, you'll have to accept sales when they are around and deal with a ton of rebates. Without either and you are back to the $700 range (or $900 for an Intel i# series build)

-Fk