Quick Bio Info - What do you do?

Fatty

I'm a teacher of 16 years....taught 2nd grade for 9 years, and currently teach 5th.

What do you do for a living? (or, if you're a student, what are you studying and where, etc)

My planning period is over so I gotta go!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Process Engineer on 2nd shift. Returned to school for Electrical Engineering. Was put on hold last year due to layoffs and shift changes. Things are calming down now. Really wish I could just build something outside all day.

I’m a dietary chef that worked in retirement homes. But for the past 10 years I’ve been running my own business in a local Nail Salon with my wife. We’ve gone though good time and rough times, but we are still here.

Short story, one day I went in early to the retirement home and painted a ladys toes, she was wheel chair bond ,unhappy, nothing you ever did made her happy ect...

By Noon, no one cared about breakfest , lunch, Not saying I suck and cooking , but no one cared about food. The most witchy lady of the world was happy, and for one day, she was sitting on top of the world. Nail polish, from there, the Nurses ask me to help them out, and it Snowballed

I got say, I enjoy the bluebery muffins. (grin)

I'm a technical strategist/bizdev/sales guy for an interactive development company. I work with ad and marketing agencies (they come up with the big idea and work with the brands) and make their ideas come to life. I just got moved to Chicago to work closer with my clients here. The fun parts are playing around with ideas in (or while on) the ether, teh suck parts are cold calling and trying to build relationships.

I'm an IT auditor / consultant for one of the big 4 public accounting firms... My group tests security and controls around financially significant applications, basically to try to ensure that there are no misstatements on the financial statements of publicly traded companies. Lately, I've been getting the opportunity to help implement ERP packages and security tools, mainly SAP.

For the past 9 years: Associate Professor of Physics at a small, liberal arts college in the midwest.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, thunder storms, and snuggling.

Turn-offs include mean people, thunder storms, and any sexual maneuver whose name contains the words rusty, dirty, or meat-hook.

Motto: women need to be in the mood, men need to be in the room.

Cars...that's pretty much it. I have worked in the automotive field my entire life, with the exception of a 5 year stint as a finish carpenter, during which time I still worked in automotive parts in the evening. In recent years my gig has been managing a service department. My current job has me working with mostly Porsche along with Mercedes, BMW, Audi, VW, and Mini. Good enough I guess...pays the bills, but regret not going to college.

Make your kids go to college, lol

Recruiting manager for the ERP services (mostly SAP) division of a large global IT services company. My team and I cover all of the US and Canada.

With the economy how it has been over the last 12-18 months and not that much hiring taking place, I've been tasked with leading more strategic HR initiatives for North America focused around succession planning, retention and social media, which I'm pleased to say has kept me in work and broken up the often all too cyclical nature of the day job.

I was a supplier to this company when I was in the UK and when I moved over her in 2004 a chance meeting ended up with me working in house initially in Cinci, but the company moved me to Dallas in 2007.

Occasionally I get involved in something a bit more interesting, we're the systems integration partner for the IOC, so we have a team of a couple hundred up in Vancouver ready for the Olympics to kick off and I'm probably going to try and volunteer at London 2012 (which would give me a chance to take the wife and kids back to the UK for an extended period rather than the normal 1-2 week trips).

(edited)

My degree is in mechanical engineering, which I studied just long enough to realize I didn't want to do it for a living.

I'm an IT manager at a very successful oral surgery practice (basically anything that plugs in - and some things that don't - I take care of so the docs and office manager don't have to). I also am doing freelance dental website design as well, and have just completed my first "big" site. I do a little computer hardware consulting for local offices on the side as well. Long term I'm hoping to turn the website and consulting into a business specializing in the needs of dental offices. Everything I know about design and programming I have learned myself (no formal classroom training whatsoever save a very basic introductory HTML course in college), so it started out more as an interest/hobby in which I seem to have enough talent to start getting people to pay me for it. Win.

Edited by boiler

I'm a technical writer for a company called TMSI that sort of invents and makes testing equipment for the automotive industry. Right now, we mostly build tire test machines of one sort or another.

The fun part is getting to play with giant machines capable of crushing steel truck tire rims like pieces of tin-foil. Well, that and learning all about vehicle dynamics and how much crap goes into making something as innocuous as a tire.

The boring part is...well, writing manuals. At the end, it's kinda boring--the process building up to the actual writing is cool, because I have to figure everything out.

Where I'd like to go from here: something in creative writing--it's what I've always wanted to do. Maybe get one of the books I'm working on published or something along those lines.

Oh, I'm married (have been for 2 years), and it's great! Bought a house not too long ago, which is also great, but a headache at the same time. Amanda and I rescued a retired racing Greyhound named Cisco...and that pretty much wraps it up. :-)

You'll never guess!

Well, I am the Community Manager for Bigfoot Networks, and since you're partnered up with us, I'm occasionally lurking around your forums, because I can. ;-)

Basically, I do the whole social media thing, some web development, community interaction, and put together and run fun programs and contests, among a few other responsibilities. In the past, I've done some work as a game reviewer over at MMORPG.com, I ran some sites for the WarCry Network - and also was a Network reporter there for a while. Game journalism was basically my stepping stone into where I am now - which is a brighter, happier place.

Also, I'm giving props to [LaW]Maverick for being a Technical Writer. I majored in Scientific and Technical Communications in college, which focused a lot on Technical Writing.

(edited)

For the past few years I was an Intelligence Analyst for the Army, worked in the S-2 shop in a Combat Sustainment Support Battalion.

As of the past year I have been on military scholarship to finish my degree and commission. In just a few, which seems like too many, months I will be a brand new 2LT. I am branching Signal Corps for the first part of my contract and hope to return to the intel world. I am finishing up my degree in Geography - GIS, mainly working with ArcGIS.

:wavey:

Edited by Jiffy

Currently? Assistant manager in retail (hell on earth) full-time, and a full time student towards a business/administration degree (was heading for a programming degree but I don't have the free time to submerse myself enough into the field...though I wanted to)

Past: Pizza franchise owner, professional cook/kitchen manager (not-chef, tutored under a chef then ran his kitchen), factory rat, and was owner/operator for a PC sales/repair/programming/consultation company (before many of you were probably born) etc.

Full time Daddy to a 10 yr old daughter and a 1 yr old little Laz.

Edited by Laz.e.rus

Bible College 1 year, then worked a year on highways and realized I hated being away from home on weekends, did 4 years for a degree in math with a minor in computer science, now I'm a high school teacher (9-12) teaching physics, business, chemistry, science and math.

For the past 8 months I have been working as a certified Medical Technologist (MT ASCP) or now we supposedly have a new title as Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS ASCP) on 2nd shift 3:00-11:30pm. I work in the laboratory of a hospital processing the specimens of patients which is mostly blood, some urine etc. and run the testing involved with those specimens. My job is to run the tests ordered by the Doctor whether it be with a machine or some manual method and critically analyze the results to see if they are acceptable, unacceptable, critical to the patient, or just normal. We do the testing and make sure the results are correct and acceptable so that the Doctor can properly treat, diagnose, and take care of their patients.

On the side of all the testing we have to be semi-instrument technicians for the machines that we run because sometimes they don't work properly and if we can fix the problem without having an engineer come to the lab to fix the machine, the better our life is. We also run daily quality control and routine maintenance on the machines to keep them in good working condition. I hope to maybe one day become one of the guys who goes around to the labs fixing the machines, maybe. My job is definitely an interesting job and one that not many people hear or think about.

I have a Bachelor of Arts in Biology and a Certificate of Registry in Medical Technology.

Edited by samurai nightling

I studied philosophy and English at university. I then went on to get a degree in sound design and audio post production.

Now...

I turn the volume up on stuff. I reset TCP/IP settings on laptops owned by high ranking IT executives. I rip commercials from YouTube for professional applications. I talk to support staff in India for 3 hours so I can have the person in the office next to me flip a switch.

I don't like this game...