Quick Bio Info - What do you do?

Fatty

I am an Electrical Engineer for a small company on the left coast. A pretty good gig all in all. Work from home or travel around the Eastern parts of the US. It pays the bills and keeps me busy.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 years as a process engineer specializing in changing the shape of molten non ferrous material into near net shape workable forms of various parts for the automotive and recreation vehicle markets. Last year the company I worked for sales were cut in half and the fact I was the highest paid non-manager I was let go. Now I'm utilizing some goverment grants that are available to me and am a full time student again. I'm hanging up my ME degree to get into IT where the growth is 20% vs -5%. It's fun being in school again after 12 years.

We need more business buzzwords in these descriptions.

I'm the primary point-of-contact for break/fix solutions in corporate IT for a Fortune 100 company. I leverage application IDE's and source control to resolve technical problems and ensure business continuity.

In other words, I fix web apps. These are for environmental health and safety systems, so they track emissions, employee exposures, hazards, etc.

And I do like my job - this may sound cruel, but whenever I have a bad day, I just look at the injury/workers comp claims and suddenly feel better. Examples:

* An intern that was cleaning fecal matter from rat cages gets bitten on the finger by a lab rat - twice.

* Travelers with Montezuma's Revenge

* Anything categorized under "Horseplay" (like a guy that decided to ride through a conveyor belt and got all scratched up)

This is good stuff!

Also, Nightling...come to FF with some of your lab equipment so we can advertise "FREE URINE ANALYSIS"

Yeah...maybe we could also do free breast exams...no expensive equipment needed, strictly on a volunteer basis of course :)

This is good stuff!

Also, Nightling...come to FF with some of your lab equipment so we can advertise "FREE URINE ANALYSIS"

Yeah...maybe we could also do free breast exams...no expensive equipment needed, strictly on a volunteer basis of course :)

Why? Are man-boob exams more fun? Am I missing something...or just missing out on something? I do need a new stalking subject...

Drug dealer- professional. primary.

Stalker. secondary.

This doesn't count, Duke...

129079014366134879.jpg

Anon, I'd laugh at your post if only I was 100% sure it wouldn't induce sobbing ;)

Don't knock it until you've stalked it.

15 years as a process engineer specializing in changing the shape of molten non ferrous material into near net shape workable forms of various parts for the automotive and recreation vehicle markets.

Translation: I squish squishy steel stuff into gas guzzlers :))

Program Manager for a large non-profit in Atlanta. I run all their after-school programs.

Translation: Prison guard

15 years as a process engineer specializing in changing the shape of molten non ferrous material into near net shape workable forms of various parts for the automotive and recreation vehicle markets.

Translation: I squish squishy steel stuff into gas guzzlers :))

Funny Laz. I have to correct you though. Non ferrous = al, mg, and zn in my case. Plastics and composites are a different story.

Currently a Product Engineer at Rackspace (We are hiring...) I design, spec, analyze new and emerging technologies to turn them in to product offerings for customers. This could be anything from selecting new hardware, to optimizing a soft process.

Before that I spent 5 years as an Inrastructure Engineer at Wal-Mart managing 250,000 systems. Did automated deployment, new OS testing etc...

and I do freelance design.

For the past 8 months I have been working as a certified Medical Technologist (MT ASCP) or now we supposedly have a new title as Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS ASCP) on 2nd shift 3:00-11:30pm. I work in the laboratory of a hospital processing the specimens of patients which is mostly blood, some urine etc. and run the testing involved with those specimens. My job is to run the tests ordered by the Doctor whether it be with a machine or some manual method and critically analyze the results to see if they are acceptable, unacceptable, critical to the patient, or just normal. We do the testing and make sure the results are correct and acceptable so that the Doctor can properly treat, diagnose, and take care of their patients.

On the side of all the testing we have to be semi-instrument technicians for the machines that we run because sometimes they don't work properly and if we can fix the problem without having an engineer come to the lab to fix the machine, the better our life is. We also run daily quality control and routine maintenance on the machines to keep them in good working condition. I hope to maybe one day become one of the guys who goes around to the labs fixing the machines, maybe. My job is definitely an interesting job and one that not many people hear or think about.

I have a Bachelor of Arts in Biology and a Certificate of Registry in Medical Technology.

My girlfriend does the same work as you over at the VA hospital here in Chicago, Samurai.

As for me, nothing now. :( I was working as an admissions advisor at an "online university." Was laid off in November and currently unemployed. My BA in Marketing hasn't helped much thus far.

Telecom switch technician for one of the smaller national CDMA network's. I work with the cell site technicians from the switch side, the rf and fixed network engineers as well as maintain the local facility equipment. The equipment I maintain is a mixture of Solaris servers, different vendors routers(because god forbid they stick with the same!) as well as proprietary equipment from our vendor.

• 2 weeks later...

Why isn't this a poll?

I am a teacher of 13.5 years. I teach HS science, and have also taught part time at a community college for 6 years.

In spare time, I do ecosystem restoration for the the state.

I am a federally certified wildfire fighter, and frequently set fire to scores of acres of prairie, savanna, and woodland in order to maintain ecostatic balance.

Oh, most importantly, I have a wife and one-year old. I have a mother battling cancer and a father in the early stages of hereditary dementia. So I will enjoy each day as it comes.

We are one diverse and interesting group...whom, I appreciate more and more. It's been nice corresponding with firefly via FB.

if anyone wants to contact me....

www.facebook.com/fuse_of_ire

or just search Tekmet

(edited)

Software Engineer coming up on 5 years now.

I work for a large military contractor. Have worked on large scale systems that are comprised of 20+ processes, all the way down to embedded systems, where every cpu cycle counts.

Embedded is more fun, I would really like to get back into it.

Edited by .fx

(edited)

As of last week I am now unemployed.. I left a stable job with Hillman Fasteners as a Buyer for more money as a Purchasing / Logistics Manager and the company didn't make it. I hope to be employed soon..

If you've seen the move "Indecent Proposal" you know it's a bit unresonable to expect a million dollars for your wife, BUT I can see 20 bucks 50,000 times!!

Edited by Batman

As of last week I am now unemployed.. I left a stable job with Hillman Fasteners as a Buyer for more money as a Purchasing / Logistics Manager and the company didn't make it. I hope to be employed soon..

If you've seen the move "Indecent Proposal" you know it's a bit unresonable to expect a million dollars for your wife, BUT I can see 20 bucks 50,000 times!!

Did you just hint at putting your wife on the street corner? lol

Edited by samurai nightling

I'm a High Power Engineering Technologist. My company is a global designer and manufacturer of space hardware. We are world leaders in the production of space-qualified passive microwave equipment, specialized electronics and optical subsystems. I test our products at high power microwave frequencies and mimic launch as well as space conditions. All this is to verify our product meets strict requirements and will perform as expected in space.

I sell my soul on a daily basis by making pompous self-important people bigger and louder. On some occasions, I am an enabler of brainwashing. I tend to absorb and quickly release a massive amount of information that I didn't need nor want in the first place. I have been told by various government officials that I am not to divulge any information I may have heard during their meetings, regardless of whether I actually understood what they were talking about or not. I have seen the insides of things that I hope never to see again. I look like a wizard when I hit just two buttons on a laptop to make it project to a 27 foot screen. And worst of all, my employer doesn't like my hair.

I am an audiovisual technician, and I live with the shame everlasting.