Star Trek Beta

[LaW]Maverick

Well, tried to slip in a bit just now between plumbing problems and pizza eating/consumption - they just took the shard down for some patching.

I'm liking the space combat; can only imagine what it will be like when I have a "real" ship (and not this Reliant-class starter ship).

Unfortunately, performance is a bit choppy when I'm not in the ship, which doesn't make me want to walk around Starbase and check stuff out. Rumor has it may be a historic problem Cryptic has with certain Nvidia setups. Who knows...

I'll still plug away at blowing stuff up though. 5 days left for free open beta play. Closes on the 26th.

-Fk

there almost has to be. Even if they wanted to have a real economy based on money, it wouldn't sustain it like a monthly fee.

whether or not it will be the standard 15 is questionable.

I'm more interested to see the upcoming Star Wars MMO.

Yeah, it has the standard monthly fee.

I played through the little introductory part, and I'm not overly impressed. There were several glitches with me walking around the initial star ship I was on, and borg just magically appearing out of no where in endless waves. I mean, give a little transporter shimmer instead of having them just pop in.

Character creation was pretty cool, I will say that.

The space combat seemed a little wonky to me. I got into it a bit, and getting that perfect broadside was pretty cool, but, from what I understand, a lot of the game focuses on away-missions, and the character based movement and combat was pretty terrible. There were all sorts of collision errors, and it felt very sluggish. I would have preferred something a lot more like Mass Effect for controls, or something along those lines.

Maybe I'm being too picky, but I expected a lot out of this game...so I dunno...

FYI, the open beta ends tonight at 6pm Pacific (10 pm eastern?)

As is the case with these things, they intend to end it by blowing it up more or less. Specifically, they are going to let the Klingons rampage throughout Fed space starting at 2pm Pacific.

-Fk

Passing for now. $15/month way too steep right now, especially sicne the game was almost unplayable during the ground/fps portions. Space time was fantastic though.

That and Dungeons and Dragons Online looks like it will pull me back in as they have tweaked the free to play to be even cheaper (no f2p level caps or slowdowns + adding f2p high level content)

And of course Mass Effect 2 (and a myriad of older games...) are waiting for me to have the time to deal with them...

-Fk