Fairweather

LOL. I hate to say it, but when I saw this the first time I had only recently seen the movie, and felt it was spot on.

I didn't dislike Avatar, but... c'mon... Even without the above pic, how much in the story was really original? Even the tree of life/connected planet goes back at least to Asimov (at least, that is what I could point it back to. likely others).

Shoulda been a summer movie. Woulda liked it more as a "popcorn muncher". Although, on that point, it was brilliant to release in in Dec. You score the Christmas glut, then trample the lean months in Jan/Feb and rake in what looks to be $2B world wide.

I may criticize his story, but not James Cameron's business acumen.

Wasn't this already posted here? I do believe I put it in the original Avatar post...

Hahaha...it was a fun movie, but it was hardly original. Like I said before, if I see it on sale on BluRay some time well after its release, I'll probably pick it up.

Cameron has these high-grossing movies because of his advertising prowess. Basically, if you tell the public how awesome you are, and you pay other famous people to say how awesome you are, for a long enough time, you will get people believing that you're the bee's knees. That's how the iPod got off the ground, and it's how Apple does its advertising still. Now, if James Cameron got on Apple's advertising team, they could take over the world! :peace:

Cameron has these high-grossing movies because of his advertising prowess.
:bang:

lowest common denominator appeal != advertising prowess.

if it was advertising prowess, there would have been a substantial drop off after the first weekend. word of mouth isn't advertising, and wom is the reason any movie flops or "succeeds."

Sure, SJ, especially when you're hiring paid charismatic actors to get into crowded situations (i.e., subways, busses, planes, etc.) and say how awesome the product is. :boing: Not to mention, if you create enough hype about something, people will go see what it's about just out of curiosity--that's why I saw Avatar, curiosity.

I'm agreeing that it was a decent flick with good special effects. What I'm saying is that it wasn't exactly revolutionary either. :) It could have done with a slightly better script--or, barring that, perhaps some not-as-ridiculous-villains. :freak3:

I will tell you what I liked most about Avatar: a movie with a happy ending is popular for once. It's straight forward rather than some enigmatic and overly artsy flick in which everyone dies and the world is a horrible place. I just want to get away from the latter trend. I don't want to pay people to depress me. :peace:

posted this in the other avatar thread. but...

a lot of people thought the exact same thing about star wars when it came out. all hype, no story, great special effects, blah blah blah. quit hating and just realize that you saw a game-changing movie, just like star wars. THIS guy is going to inspire the next generation of sci-fi directors. and come on look at the cameron's work: Terminator, T2, Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies, Titanic...not a bad resume. And the fact that he now has the 2 highest grossing films of all time.

and i believe james cameron had nothing to do with the advertising portion of avatar. that would be the movie company. and if you sunk 300mill into a project, you would advertise the poop outta the movie too.

a lot of people thought the exact same thing about star wars when it came out.

A fair point. I'll allow it.

just realize that you saw a game-changing movie, just like star wars. THIS guy is going to inspire the next generation of sci-fi directors.

This one will be borne out or not. We'll all just have to wait and see. Myself, I'm making no predictions either way.