Radio Control FPV Flying

monthos

So, I just decided to try and get into this hobby. I have been flying rc helicopters for a bit, small household ones as well as a T-Rex 450 pro that I got around a year ago. I recently bought a smaller/medium sized electric RC plane and just picked up a camera/tx kit to play around with, anyone else ever try it?

Currently I am still building the rig as well as my ground station, going to pick up a small lcd tv or something while I decide if I want to get the video glasses or what not. Going to use a small 1u power supply and an inverter to power my ground stuff, and use an extra lipo battery in the bird to keep my camera power separated from the flight power.

I am looking for suggestions from others who have either done it, or if they had any good suggestions on better ways to deal with some of the obstacles I will face. I am somewhat RF challenged but am learning as I go. I chose 900mhz for the video link as my rc transmitter is on 2.4ghz.

Yes I plan to eventually web cast some of it if I can :)

Well since nobody chimed in that must mean I am the first here. :)

, though I will actually get GPS data working on my HUD. First I am trying it out on my rc car while I get the details figured out, eventually I will run better antenna's on my base station gear as well as mod my TX for longer range. Seems like a good hobby, besides for gaming of coarse :D

Oh and I will record video's on my first flight, even if I crash lol

I've heard of the Sea gull system. I'm into flying RC planes and helicopters (been out of it for about a year and a half). The sea gull system comes with or you can purchase add-on for it to do just about anything. Combine it with a data logger and you will have information overload :)

I got the eagle tree system which comes with a data logger and On screen display module. I still need to pick up a few adapters/connectors to do what I want it to do on the plane, as well as figure out how I want to view it on the ground.

I got it temporarily rigged to my rc car, just need it to warm up a bit so I can range test with it before I put it in an aerial chassis. Probably going to test it using the tv in my living room and receiver sitting on my balcony.

I wish my spektrum dx7 had the auxilarry dial like my old dx5(i think) did, I do not want a head tracking system but the ability to move the camera left/right would be beneficial. Wonder if I can mod one of the channels to do this..

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Well, got a short flight in, I wanted to take it easy and slow, but was having a little difficulty with the wind and the fact the plane is a little heavier now. I landed in the middle to tweak some tx settings and then went back up in the air. I did not pay much attention to antenna placement for my video link, which is why it gets bad at spots.

Also I crash, enjoy!

http://vimeo.com/10640870

Edited by monthos

• 4 weeks later...

pretty awesome dude

Thanks, I need to somehow clean up the horizonal lines which may be from interference from the ESC behind the motor. I will need to get some ferrite rings and wind the video wiring around it to see if that helps clear it up. Other than that its pretty much done unless I decide to get an anetenna tracking system, then there is some more work to do.. unfortunately the one I want is out of stock at the moment.