TF2 Server Settings Suggestions

Unclean

I have a few suggestions to help improve our server and get more people in it:

1. Make the starting map Dustbowl, Goldrush, or Bad Water

2. Shorten respawn times, maybe 5 secs, put in the server description

3. Include map voting, vote to scramble teams at the end of the round

4. Focus on payload and capture points style maps

I've been hopping into some other low populated servers to see how they bring them up, and one cool way is to start off with deathmatch, instant respawn and slow health regeneration. As soon as 4-6 people are on, it switches back to control point or whatever the gamestyle was. This would just require an extra config on the server, so we could exec lowpop.cfg, then exec normal.cfg.

Thoughts? Other ideas?

Absolutely. I'm familiar with managing servers (FTP, configs, etc), mainly from the COD4 days. I did do some for the zombie CS server too, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't want to step on any toes by making these changes though. Shazz and JackieChan are the LA's for the TF2 server - should we wait for them to respond here first? Or make backups of the configs in case they think my changes have ruined their lives? :)

Since we're using SourceMod, I don't think there is a plugin available to be executed when a certain amount of people are in the server. It would have to be done server-side by an admin.

I'm not too familiar with a lot of the cvars in TF2 to be able to make a config for it. If anyone else knows if there is a way to do so, post it up and I'll make the configs possible and let all the admins know so they can execute them whenever they're in the server.

/drunktyping

Posting here the adminmenu_custom from our old GESource server. Basically this creates custom menu items. I don't know all the ins and outs of the feature (or if SM has changed any) but hopefully this by itself will be good enough documentation to see what's going on.

I expect you could replace e.g. "cmd" "ge_gameplay @1" with "cmd" "exec @1" and then have the options be a handful of different config files and that would work.

"Commands"
{
"Goldeneye"
{
	"Restart Round"
	{
		"cmd" "ge_restartround"
		"execute" "server"
	}
	"Game Mode"
	{
		"cmd" "ge_gameplay @1"
		"execute" "server"
		"1"
		{
			"type" "list"
			"title" "Scenario"
			"1" "deathmatch"
			"1." "Deathmatch"
			"2" "tournamentdm"
			"2." "Team Deathmatch"
			"3" "ltk"
			"3." "Licence to Kill"
			"4" "mwgg"
			"4." "The Man with the Golden Gun"
			"5" "yolt"
			"5." "You Only Live Twice"
		}
	}
	"Weapons"
	{
		"cmd" "ge_weaponset @1"
		"execute" "server"
		"1"
		{
			"type" "list"
			"title" "Weapon Set"
			"1" "pistols"
			"1." "Pistols"
			"2" "tknives"
			"2." "Throwing Knives"
			"3" "automatics"
			"3." "Automatics"
			"4" "power_weapons"
			"4." "Power Weapons"
			"5" "sniper_rifle"
			"5." "Sniper Rifles"
			"6" "grenades"
			"6." "Grenades"
			"7" "remote_mines"
			"7." "Remote Mines"
			"8" "timed_mines"
			"8." "Timed Mines"
			"9" "proxy_mines"
			"9." "Proximity Mines"
			"10" "slappers"
			"10." "Slappers Only"
		}
	}
	"Spawn Loadout"
	{
		"cmd" "ge_startarmed @1"
		"execute" "server"
		"1"
		{
			"type" "list"
			"title" "Armament"
			"1" "0"
			"1." "Unarmed"
			"2" "1"
			"2." "Knife"
			"3" "3"
			"3." "Weapon"
			"4" "2"
			"4." "Knife and Weapon"
		}
	}
	"Radar"
	{
		"cmd" "ge_allowradar @1"
		"execute" "server"
		"1"
		{
			"type" "list"
			"title" "Radar"
			"1" "1"
			"1." "Ensable Radar"
			"2" "0"
			"2." "Disable Radar"
		}
	}
}
}

Cool, I'll start playing around with those menu settings.

In the meantime, here's what the server has now:

-votescramble (type "votescramble" to call for it)

-2 second respawns

-Current map rotation:

pl_goldrush

cp_dustbowl

pl_badwater

cp_gravelpit

koth_sawmill

cp_badlands

pl_badwater

-Updated advertisements so people know about rtv and votescramble

To do:

-Get "killerinfo" working - it shows who killed you, how much life they had, etc.

-Add deathmatch/regeneration configs

-Add HLStatsX or equivalent

...I think that should about do it!

We are currently paying for hlstats - poke mookie to see if the server is hooked to it. We are/were considering flipping over to hlstatsx to save us a few bucks a month but for now, you should be able to use our pay version just fine.

EDIT: The package we are paying for is only one server (retro) and is a bit in disarray.

We'll move forward the switch to HlstatsX CE asap (which will run on the web server and we'll just pull logs from the gameserver)

-Fk

Creepy? Yes...

Tall? 5'11"

Blond? Brown.

The latter part of mine involved me being in some sort of bed and breakfast for some reason, on a mountain of some sort. I noticed that the substantial industrial base in the nearby area has reached up into the mountains and the way it was cresting through the cloud base made it look like Cloud City from TESB so I was gonna take some sweet pictures. When I took a picture, the lcd display on my camera displayed "$2" and I deduced that the B&B was somehow able to charge for taking pictures of the vista.

I was not pleased.

Also, this is being installed right now.

-Fk

Map voting? I usually have bad experience with that, like usually when a team is losing the call a map vote that gets passed. I dont care if we're winning or losing, its a mindless shooter game. Im unsure about by changing the game type when a however many people join it switches it. Payload, I only like it a little bit, cause theres only like 4 maps, two short and two long, and only one gets played the most.

sv_getpeopletoplaythere 1

No kidding! That's the tough part. Ebil/Jackie/Shazz/etc probably get sick of all the "TF2?" messages I send them on Steam. :) I never get any requests from other people though - are other people messaging eachother to start up the TF2 server?

Howsabout we set up a time a few days a week where we *know* other people will be on? Say, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7CST, and Saturdays at 3CST? And a GC email stating the same message?

Tonight is awesome! With the help of Shazz, Manslaughter, VoodooPC and Jiffy, we were able to make and keep a full server for quite awhile. Had a blast.

So with this being the first time we filled the server, I noticed a few things we need to do:

-Autobalance isn't working

-Reserves aren't working (I can't get back into the server after my game crashed)

-Alter respawn times based on maps - so it doesn't favor defense so heavily

-Change the map rotation. No KOTH maps, mainly.

-I need to brush up on my admin commands - a mic spammer joined in the beginning, and it took me 4-5 minutes to figure out how to kick him. D'oh!

Tonight is awesome! With the help of Shazz, Manslaughter, VoodooPC and Jiffy, we were able to make and keep a full server for quite awhile. Had a blast.

So with this being the first time we filled the server, I noticed a few things we need to do:

-Autobalance isn't working hopefully fixed

-Reserves aren't working (I can't get back into the server after my game crashed) disabled it because i thought it was conflicting with something. will put it back on there.

-Alter respawn times based on maps - so it doesn't favor defense so heavily involves making a config file for each map and would take some time to do

-Change the map rotation. No KOTH maps, mainly. no koth maps? will do

-I need to brush up on my admin commands - a mic spammer joined in the beginning, and it took me 4-5 minutes to figure out how to kick him. D'oh! can put a mic spam detector on there so it will automatically mute people who mic spam via hldj or other 3rd party programs

Edited by JackieChan