Help me save my 8800gts

TheGeek

My graphics card is choosing to be dramatic. It is crashing my computer at random times.

So these are the symptoms:

2. The computer crashes to a black screen but the power stays on. The monitor loses the signal and the audio and keyboard/mouse controls cut out.
  3. The computer will not POST after a restart. Removing all power to the graphics card for 30 seconds and putting it back in allows my PC to boot again.
  4. RivaTuner showed me that the core temp was bouncing from 60 degrees to 0 degrees Celsius every other second.
  5. The GPU fan speed is running at 100%. It normally idles at 40%.

You will notice in the center of the image the core temperature bouncing up and down.

3w821.png

So this is what I did:

2. I took the graphics card out and inspected it for any burst capacitors, disconnected cables, and burn/scorch marks. I found nothing.
  3. I then booted into Win7 and looked over RivaTuner, finding problem #3. I then got another crash.
  4. I restarted again into the bios, checking for any abnormalities with no results. But I noticed after an hour in the BIOS, the computer did not crash. If I was in the OS, it would have certainly crashed by then.
  5. I then lowered my clock frequency quite a bit. The core temp sensor is now reading 48 Celsius. But the GPU fan thinks it still should be running the fan at 100%.

After doing all of that I managed to get it to not crash after 1 hour.

Does anybody have a clue on what may be going on with my graphics card?

System Specs:

MSI NX8800GTS

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400

OCZ GameXStream 700W

G.SKILL 2GB

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L

Bad drivers? What is your driver version?

Also, if you have a spare box laying around you could put the card in there and run it with Xp or whatever and see what shakes out.

-Fk

I have 3 month old drivers. I'm installing new ones now.

And I have a separate hard drive for testing with XP. I'm going to do some testing on there. Thanks for the advice!

that's a terrible warranty. my 8800gtx evgas came with a lifetime warranty...

a $120 card will outperform your current card and bring you up to date technology wise. don't waste too much energy on this.

that's a terrible warranty. my 8800gtx evgas came with a lifetime warranty...

a $120 card will outperform your current card and bring you up to date technology wise. don't waste too much energy on this.

I have come to this conclusion as well. It turns out that a friends computer just crashed and he is letting me use his 8800GTX OC, so I got a 20 fps boost on high-end games.

I am going to research more about the "baking" and decide if I should do it.

• 4 months later...