which upgrade to do?

NOFX

So for the past 2+ years I've had a e6550 dual core. I recently picked up bad company 2 and my frame rate is to low for my liking. I have a 4850 video card which I know isn't top of the line, but from what I have read bc2 gets a nice performance boost with quad cores. So do I hold off and eventually build a new i7 machine. Or I can pick up a q8400 quad for only $150. Do you think the price performance ratio is worth it? or will the q8400 be comparable for much cheaper? Right now im leaning toward dropping in the cheap quad.

I've been checking out WWW.cpubenchmarrks.net and the q8400 looks pretty good for only a $150 upgrade

So for the past 2+ years I've had a e6550 dual core. I recently picked up bad company 2 and my frame rate is to low for my liking. I have a 4850 video card which I know isn't top of the line, but from what I have read bc2 gets a nice performance boost with quad cores. So do I hold off and eventually build a new i7 machine. Or I can pick up a q8400 quad for only $150. Do you think the price performance ratio is worth it? or will the q8400 be comparable for much cheaper? Right now im leaning toward dropping in the cheap quad.

I've been checking out WWW.cpubenchmarrks.net and the q8400 looks pretty good for only a $150 upgrade

I'm afraid I don't have the horsepower for bc 2 either.. core 2 duo 8400 and an 8800 gtx :/

What are your thoughts on the game so far?

I'm afraid I don't have the horsepower for bc 2 either.. core 2 duo 8400 and an 8800 gtx :/

What are your thoughts on the game so far?

Nonsense. I play the game on my e8400 without a problem. Yes, both cores get used because this game uses the multiple threads in a way that most games do not. Tweak your graphical settings and you will be fine depending on your video card.

Wait a little bit to see what AMD has up its sleaves with the 6-core CPU's they have up the pipeline.

The game rocks, so much that I want to upgrade my comp to play. I've only played MW2 for xbox, but I think bc2 is much better. Makes you feel like your own a battlefield. Buildings blow up with RPG hits, they collapse and kill you. Tanks and RPG's take out trees. jet skis, 4 wheelers.. And you have squads of 4.

I have to set everything on medium, shadows on low and run at 1400x900 to get a frame rate that is playable for me. It can push 1900x1200, but I've always taken smooth gameplay over graphics.. It looks damn good though and I would like to at least be able to run at 1680x1050.

I've read alot about quad's really helping the game out.. and a bottleneck being only dual cores. I know the i7 is an overall better setup, but I'm really just wanting to get more FPS in this game. I think price/performance ratio, I will be better off picking up a q8400 for $150 rather than dropping $450 on an i7 setup. But I might hold off a little while for prices to drop.

is this game co-op at all?

I haven't done single player so I do not know. In Multiplayer, you get to group up in squads of 4 players. You can then spawn on your teamates after you die, etc.

I would not say this game is better than MW2. It is different so both are pretty good depending on what you like.

is this game co-op at all?

I haven't done single player so I do not know. In Multiplayer, you get to group up in squads of 4 players. You can then spawn on your teamates after you die, etc.

I would not say this game is better than MW2. It is different so both are pretty good depending on what you like.

apples to oranges in my opinion.. close quarters combat vs wiiiiiiiiiiiiide open spaces.. sorry

Looks like I'll have to go and find my joy stick. (I already hear your corny joke coming, sj)

(edited)

I picked up a q8400 for $150. It doubled my framerate in BC2. Overclocked it on my older stock Intel heatsink that came with my e6550(It's much beefier than the new ones). Without changing the voltage, I'm running at 3.3Ghz and I haven't even tried to go higher. The temps are the same as stock clock. Did burn in tests and everything. CPU score on http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html was at 5,204, which is awesome considering stock scores 3,666. Puts me just a couple hundred points behind an I7 860.

This worked out pretty good, because I now removed the dual core celeron from my media machine/server and dropped in the core2

Edited by .fx