Left 4 Dead 2

mookie

I play it!

It's weird.

You can pick from local server (you run it), dedicated, and official servers.

Dedicated and Official you don't get to pick exactly what server you all join. It picks it for u.

But if you are apart of a Group, and that group has servers, you can join then specifically.

Not exactly sure how it all works.

From the lobby, you need to be the lobby leader if you want to select which server you want to play on specifically. Unfortunately, Valve decided not to be nice and not let people access the console when you're in a lobby, so you need to add a console command either at the main menu via console, or throw it in your autoexec.cfg file:

mm_dedicated_force_servers

Putting that in there will ensure you connect to that server every time from lobby (given you're the host) and if there aren't people playing in there already.

• 1 month later...

Mookie, do you think it'd be possible to change the player limit on your end, or does it have to go through NFO? I was thinking we could change it to a 8v8(17 for reserves) or 10v10 server (21 for reserves) and turn it into a pub server like CSS. I've experimented with this before on my L4D2 server (had it since L4D1) and it yielded good results. I since changed my server back to 4v4 because at times I'd rather just do 4v4 instead of anything higher than that.

If it's possible on your end Mookie, I'd be happy to set it up to run as a "super versus" server. First time I did it took me roughly half a day to figure everything out, get everything working properly, and set everything up so there weren't any errors or anything.

GC Alumni

We can change the player limit to anything. Anything else that needs to change along with it?

My understanding had been that the player limit was basically irrelevant and it would just automatically go to 4 or 8 depending on what kind of game was connecting.

If it's set up this way, will it no longer serve for the previous purpose? If so, should a spare stock server be set up?

If it's set up for "Super Versus" settings, it won't be able to be played as a stock server unless it was manually changed, so if you felt it was needed, a separate stock server could be set up. Not sure if it's being used by only pubbers, or mixed with GC on a regular basis. I once had my server go all night as a 8v8.

Plugins can change it so the server goes in a continuous rotation, switching from campaign to campaign automatically after the finale has ended, a item buy system so people can buy guns, health, and as the infected, other infected including witches and tanks. A loot drop system so whenever a special infected dies, they have a chance to drop random items/weapons.

The best part about it is that people can just hop in and out whenever they want because it has the pub feel of CS.

If you changed the -maxplayers startup cmd to like 17 or 21, that's all you would need to do on your end. I could take care of the rest. If it turns out to be a huge hit, we could set up adverts in the server to tell people to register, link the motd to GC, and whatnot.

GC Alumni
(edited)

Okay everyone, the server is set up as a 10v10. You should see it in the "Steam Group server list" in the bottom right corner when you go in game. Got off to a great start today when I hopped in there to test everything out and it filled up very fast. MOTD links to the GC website.

Added it to gametracker just now too.

b_560_95_1.png

Also should have a reserve slot set up, but not sure if it's working. All the GC members/admins should also be set up as well.

*edit

Reserve slot works.

Edited by JackieChan