Why weren't the bike trails like this back in the 70's or 80's?

Flitterkill

That course was huge, I wonder where it's at? We built a decent dirt track behind a church in the woods and it was around for a good 8 years before finally getting torn apart then used as a paintball course for the neighborhood kids.. neat video tho!

• 2 weeks later...

That's not "mountain biking," those are constructed jumps and obstacles, spaced so the riders can land perfectly. It's a dirt track in the woods. I must have mountain-biked a thousand miles in the Appalachians...and those were the old school trails you're talking about FK. Even if you had run one half a dozen times, you had no idea what was coming up. We had a trail we'd run called "suicide machine." It kept eroding, so if you ran it a month ago, you may not be aware of the new 5 foot drop around the next corner, all the while traveling at 15-20 mph. We had this dude on our team named Crazy Geoff. He was ejected from his saddle at speed on that trail, and the only thing that survived was him and his rear wheel/tire...it even split his helmet in half, bent his front wheel and fork, and bend his frame. We couldn't believe his neck wasn't broken.

That's not "mountain biking," those are constructed jumps and obstacles, spaced so the riders can land perfectly. It's a dirt track in the woods. I must have mountain-biked a thousand miles in the Appalachians...and those were the old school trails you're talking about FK. Even if you had run one half a dozen times, you had no idea what was coming up. We had a trail we'd run called "suicide machine." It kept eroding, so if you ran it a month ago, you may not be aware of the new 5 foot drop around the next corner, all the while traveling at 15-20 mph. We had this dude on our team named Crazy Geoff. He was ejected from his saddle at speed on that trail, and the only thing that survived was him and his rear wheel/tire...it even split his helmet in half, bent his front wheel and fork, and bend his frame. We couldn't believe his neck wasn't broken.

Holy Jesus! Glad he survived that.. I've been in some risky bike accidents doing jumps i probably shouldn't have been doing.. and luckily to this day I've not broken any bones whiles biking/parkouring/rock climbing etc.

I did rough my back up pretty good once practicing Gainers into a Foam Pit.. legs were out and not tucked so i basically landed with my legs behind me and folded my back on to them.. back sounded like a zipper *CRACCKKKK* all the way from bottom to top haha I wasn't able to do much for 3 months athletically

• 3 weeks later...