Where did all the 1920x1200 LCDs go?

So I've gotten a bunch of overtime the past month (60+ hrs a week) so I figured I might treat myself to a new monitor. Not that I don't like my superior CRT, mind you. I just need to get a 16:10 monitor before they all vanish.

I'm thinking 24"+ minimum 1920x1200, not one of those squinty 1920x1080 monitors, I'm hooking it up to my computer and not in the living room. And after looking around a bit on the net, looks like I'm just about all too late.

I'm a LCD hater, I moan about viewing angles, grip about blur, and if I don't get a monitor quick I'll be bashing my new monitor cause the quarter top off my screen is missing with these 1080p contraptions.

I was thinking about getting 3 cheapish LCDs and running a Eyefinity system, but the viewing angles thing really bugs me when not playing games. Or maybe a midgrade large monitor like this ASUS VW266H, good price but still, the viewing angles. Lastly is a Dell UltraSharp U2410, but costly and I'm worried about speed. And the Dell name in itself annoys me. I did though just notice that the U2410 just dropped $80 today, anyone have any coupons to sweeten the deal? I'd Like a IPS monitor, but they seem to be rated on the slow side for gaming.

Any suggestions? Good deals?

I got a Dell 2007FP (Super PVA, UXGA) a while back and I'm very happy with it in terms of viewing angle. Not so sure about the speed as I never had a problem with that on a TN even as slow as 25ms. My only comment on the U2410 would be that the 2408WFP is probably the same panel and a nicer stand (matter of opinion), and it's too bad it doesn't seem like they make it anymore.

I know the Dell name doesn't carry a lot of weight in general but there is a reason most of the monitors you see now on most TV shows are Dells; they make a nice stand/enclosure and sell it at a reasonable price. It goes up and down almost 6", turns 90° clockwise, swivels, and has a four-port USB hub. The silver ones with the chevron-shaped base seem to grab the desk better than the newer ones with a square footprint (really they hold on better than any LCD I've seen), but otherwise it's pretty much the same. We have bunches of both styles at work.

I have had samsung LCDs.. 19 then 22 now 24. I've never had a problem with dead pixels or blackness. I have stayed in the 2-5 ms range.

Right now I have the Syncmaster 2433bw and I'd recommend it to anyone who's looking for a 24" 1900 x1200 < 5ms for under $300.

I have a Dell monitor as well. I've had it for over 2 years now and I love it. I don't know the model number of hand, I'll have to look it up tonight when I get home. It has very good color reproduction, response time is 5ms (black to black) so there are not any ghosting issues. I think I paid $300 for it, so its bound to be less expansive now.

I went ahead and bit the Dell U2410, buy.com had them for $525 after a $10 off code plus no tax and free shipping. Ultimately I can't handle viewing angles of TN panels, hopefully this will be worth the extra moola. I may have to keep my CRT just a wee bit longer till UT 2004 is COMPLETELY DEAD. :zombie:

I was pretty surprised about the change, but then again I can sort of see why they're doing it. With so many people using monitors as multi-function displays, the 1080p resolution is better for every other type of input besides PCs. People are also watching Blu-ray or other hi-def sources full screen, and it eliminates the bars or stretching that would otherwise occur. When I built my new comp, I got a 23" Samsung LCD monitor/TV that is 1080p, and quite honestly it hasn't bothered me a bit not having that extra 120 pixels in height.

CSS, Borderlands and Dragon Age still all look and play just fine.

AAAHhh!!! I was at work when they attempted to deliver the screen today. :bang:

The black bar thing complaint on a 16:10 screen is just silly, cause when I watch slightly dated material on my WS TV, there are black bars on the side. :freak3: I think 16:10 1920x1200 is a good trade off between 4:3 and 16:9. That and I'm used to 1200, going smaller would be a downgrade.

i'm a bit late on this but i've got 2 x u2410. awesome monitors. you'll be very happy. btw, i got a sweet deal on them. paid $480 cdn each about 6 months ago.

the plan is to add a 3rd one for eyefinity someday.

i'm a bit late on this but i've got 2 x u2410. awesome monitors. you'll be very happy. btw, i got a sweet deal on them. paid $480 cdn each about 6 months ago.

the plan is to add a 3rd one for eyefinity someday.

I was waiting for you to chome in Cujo. :hihi:

Yeah I'm really liking it, wish I could have got when last month when they were 4 hundred something. Still worth the price I got it for. Everything looks awesome and I love the Adobe RGB and sRGB modes, sRGB is the closest thing to a CRT. Aspect ratio actually works at 640x480 (for my retro comps) and 5:4 resolutions like 1024x768 look surprisingly sharp. Responsiveness is actually better then my old 2ms GTG rated Asus. Still with games like Unreal Tournament, CRTs are the shiznit and this LCD drives me crazy with the blur. Playing racers Like Flatout is just wonderful though. Oh yeah, controls are the best Ive seen too.

Putting the monitor in portrait mode and telling people to come see your new monitor never gets old. I would love to have 3 of these in portrait mode with eyefinity.