Vote Kicked by large group of immature players

As it stands I don't think I will be playing much on your servers if the people I dealt with tonight are your usual fare. I joined your server for the first time ever, and I was almost immediately votekicked because I didn't have enough "skill" (mind you the round JUST started). When I came back on the server to ask why, they claimed I was kicked because I took someone's spot who was "better" and that I should make 1,000 points, then talk. Well poop, it's my first time on the server what can I do? I copied the conversation and the steam IDs of the people who was giving me the most trouble for it:

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : please explain to me why i was kicked 5 minutes in?

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : talk to me

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : you took someone better's spot... so you got kicked

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : deal with it

LITTLE MAC! : rage

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : thats sad

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : you're sad

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : let it go

PDR3000 : truck you chicken

LITTLE MAC! : usad?

PDR3000 : break 1000 points

PDR3000 : then talk

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : great way to welcome someone new to the server

LITTLE MAC! : umad?

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : lol see, Abyzz knows how democracy works.... you should take notes

PDR3000 : trucking switch witch

LITTLE MAC! : maybe u ain't welcome son

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : maybe you're still mad

PDR3000 : nice name chicken

LITTLE MAC! : hemad

Bubblegum.Tea : *you're, chicken

PDR3000 : very creative

THEFATMANXD : its just a game truck

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : i know i just expect a little maturity

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : dont know why

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : it is l4d2

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : wow, go play yahoo chess raggot

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : there's your maturity

"Cum Fart Tsunamis 3" STEAM_1:1:5073588

"LITTLE MAC!" STEAM_1:0:982033

"PDR3000" STEAM_1:0:19679819

Quite frankly this is the saddest excuse of operating a server, and I am saddened at the fact that people would act this way for what really is a laid-back, fun game.

Nevertheless, I will try again another time, I have a feeling I could really enjoy this server, but something has to be done to convince me there is SOME level of maturity on it.

When I get back from the LAN party I'm apart of, I will deal with this. I have PDR and LITTLE MAC on my friends list and I will talk to them about it.

I don't have a working computer at the moment, but take my word on it that I will deal with this. People should not be votekicked because of their "skill".

When I get back from the LAN party I'm apart of, I will deal with this. I have PDR and LITTLE MAC on my friends list and I will talk to them about it.

I don't have a working computer at the moment, but take my word on it that I will deal with this. People should not be votekicked because of their "skill".

prolly perma ban fart tsunami as well I imagine? I dunno anything at all about the l4d servers or Id do it now, but the name, language, and attitude are good for 1,2,3 bans here.

prolly perma ban fart tsunami as well I imagine? I dunno anything at all about the l4d servers or Id do it now, but the name, language, and attitude are good for 1,2,3 bans here.

I agree 100% on this one. Can we get a lead admin to confirm the chat transcript turbo posted and get them banned?

And turbo, thanks for posting up. We always want to hear about this kind of behavior, because this is NOT what our servers are usually like. You also caught us during our yearly LAN party (Fragfest), so a lot of the admins are not available on the server this week/weekend.

At any rate, feel free to poke around in the forums too. Lots of good stuff in there.

Thanks you guys. I am actually quite impressed with your quick response and actual desire to deal with the situation. The only one I really think needs a timeout ban is Tsunami. He was extremely rude and condescending to someone who just wanted to try out a new server and have fun playing. Chances are I will return to your server, and now I understand why there was a lack of admin control on the server. Hope you guys had fun at FragFest, and I look forward to gaming with a lot of you on the server in the future.

Too bad FragFest and a unusable computer prevent me from hopping in there and righting wrongs. I'm going to have to do so when I get back and fix it.

I'm also going to put more advertisements on there displaying rules and the like.

(edited)

Yes, you can HLSW into l4d games. You only need the rcon.

Thanks, done and done.

I Banned Mr Naughty Fart there (STEAM_1:1:507358) permanently unless/until someone finds that the above console post with his name and actions is phony.

Edited by Laz.e.rus

As it stands I don't think I will be playing much on your servers if the people I dealt with tonight are your usual fare. I joined your server for the first time ever, and I was almost immediately votekicked because I didn't have enough "skill" (mind you the round JUST started). When I came back on the server to ask why, they claimed I was kicked because I took someone's spot who was "better" and that I should make 1,000 points, then talk. Well poop, it's my first time on the server what can I do? I copied the conversation and the steam IDs of the people who was giving me the most trouble for it:

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : please explain to me why i was kicked 5 minutes in?

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : talk to me

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : you took someone better's spot... so you got kicked

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : deal with it

LITTLE MAC! : rage

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : thats sad

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : you're sad

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : let it go

PDR3000 : truck you chicken

LITTLE MAC! : usad?

PDR3000 : break 1000 points

PDR3000 : then talk

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : great way to welcome someone new to the server

LITTLE MAC! : umad?

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : lol see, Abyzz knows how democracy works.... you should take notes

PDR3000 : trucking switch witch

LITTLE MAC! : maybe u ain't welcome son

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : maybe you're still mad

PDR3000 : nice name chicken

LITTLE MAC! : hemad

Bubblegum.Tea : *you're, chicken

PDR3000 : very creative

THEFATMANXD : its just a game truck

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : i know i just expect a little maturity

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : dont know why

-=BwA=- TurboFlamingChicken : it is l4d2

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : wow, go play yahoo chess raggot

Cum Fart Tsunamis 3 : there's your maturity

"Cum Fart Tsunamis 3" STEAM_1:1:5073588

"LITTLE MAC!" STEAM_1:0:982033

"PDR3000" STEAM_1:0:19679819

Quite frankly this is the saddest excuse of operating a server, and I am saddened at the fact that people would act this way for what really is a laid-back, fun game.

Nevertheless, I will try again another time, I have a feeling I could really enjoy this server, but something has to be done to convince me there is SOME level of maturity on it.

WOW... really?

I just made a thread about my ban, and then I come across this "sob story". I certainly would understand if the name I was playing with at the time was the issue, but some out of context chat log is ridiculous. (Maybe a warning for the name, but come on...)

This "Turbo Flaming Chicken" guy got kicked once before... and then proceeds to re-join the game and try to load grief our team. (Where you connect faster than one of the 10 players, thus they get kicked for being in that 21st slot reserved for an admin.) Being that this is a social game, and the majority of the players on the team at the time have been playing together, we all agreed and voted this new guy off in favor of the player who got load griefed. (Who in this case was PDR3000... ranked #1) He was whining both on the mic and in chat, and people were getting sick of him. I don't think I even initiated the vote, but that's besides the point... he was voted off by the NINE other players. As well as the fact that he was voted off by the other team as well during the match. (So, if my math is correct, that's about 18:1 against him between the two teams.)

The server message on this particular server says "No racism, play as a team, and don't run ahead". I didn't say anything racist, and I never run ahead. But aside from that, I play with a majority of the server's regulars, and most of their top 10 players. (All of which are people who I've been gaming with for years.) I'm only ranked 22 or something, but I put in the time and play on this server... and my friends play way more than I do. So, these servers are basically made up of regulars who keep them populated, this making them more popular than similar servers. If this were some choir boy server, then everything would be censored, and nobody would be playing in there, but it isn't and that's what makes it better than the rest.

This is an online video game, and what FlamingChicken did was tantamount to some soccer mom complaining to FOX about a joke she saw on Family Guy, and then Family Guy getting pulled off the air.

Edited by JaredfromSUBWAY

Just gunna throw my 2cents in...

I think it's kind of unfair and probably not standard operating procedure to perma-ban someone based on a single person's perspective (evidence also not in proper context and without investigating the issue further. Jared is a regular and I'm sure a lot of players on the server would vouch for his friendliness and great team-play.

I guess we could have been more kind to the guy, but you have to understand that we play on the server everyday and get people griefing and team stacking and stuff and it gets tiring and you kinda just deal with them all the same way.

Firstly, I want to express that I do not think it is fair to permanently ban a frequent player on a server, just because some other player (who is infrequent at best) has a problem with him, before any proof is even displayed. He was just banned from word of mouth alone.

I felt like I should reply as well, considering I was there at the time (although I don't quite remember this exact incident), and that I'm a Top Ten player on the server (#5 I believe).

Being that it is a modded server, there are a number of players that play regularly on it. Naturally, when you have something like this, a number of those people become friends. So a lot of the time when I play, I have a number of friends in the game with me... sometimes we play together on the same team, sometimes we aren't able to.

So at that night, we could have very well had a slight majority of the vote to kick him without relying on players who we weren't friends with (although whenever we vote to kick someone, usually every single person on our team votes yes because the person in question is causing the team problems). But first, ponder this for a moment: why would we kick him if he did not do something offensive, such as load griefing, running ahead on his own, slowly trudging along behind the rest of the team constantly, mic spamming, talking trash, not listening to the team, etc?

Why would we possibly want to kick random players from a server that we enjoy playing on? It doesn't make any rational sense. We want people on this server.

People come to this server for two reasons: because it's a fun mod, and because a lot of the people who frequent the server are fun to play with. You go to the server at any point and ask people about PDR3000 (#1 on the server) for example, and they will probably tell you they love playing with him and that he's a good guy.

I'm friends with PDR3000 and Little Mac, and I'm friends with a whole bunch of other people who play on this server a lot. If the three in question get banned, not only will they stop coming to the server, but I will stop coming, and a whole bunch more regulars will also stop coming.

We aren't a gang of internet thugs who enjoy kicking people all the time and ruining servers. We kick people who deserve it, who're causing problems for people in game who just want to have fun.

Don't take the word of some stranger over the word of regulars who keep the server alive.

(1) "Really?" is how adult-children respond to something they don't like but have nothing reasonable to say against.

(2) Out of context or not, swearing at someone and taunting them doesn't fly with me and won't with anyone else here. Even if this guy's the biggest douche on the Internet. You vote kicked once (twice?) so how hard is it to do it again, in the meantime just ignore. Just because someone's whining at you doesn't mean you have to answer them.

(3) I can't speak for everyone else, but who votekicked who is not a big issue. Maybe this guy should've been kicked, maybe he shouldn't. Who am I to judge that, since I wasn't there and don't know what was going on at that time.

(4) I don't think it needs to be published that everyone should be showing some respect and maturity. This is not a fundamentalist Christian server, or a children's server, but it is a server for mature adults. If you can't handle being at least indifferent to people you don't like, we don't want you here. People who can't control themselves are not fun for anyone to play with.

(5) Most bans we do are going to be permanent, especially ex post facto bans. That's a practical matter and not some kind of universal judgement. Temporary bans disappear when the server restarts every morning. Obviously, calling people names does not qualify anyone to be banned for life from anything. If we ban someone, they will either care enough to post/PM someone about it or they won't. If they do, and we can reach some kind of agreement like "stop cussing people out" or "don't flash your teammates on purpose any more," the ban will be removed. Otherwise if someone posts about how we're Nazis trying to restrict their freedom to insult people over the Internet all day generally they'll stay banned.

I think what's above should more or less cover what's been posted here so far, and I would ask anyone to re-read #5 to understand why I've basically ignored most of the posts in this thread.

Jared, if you're able to play without calling people names and abandon jism-related names for yourself, you'll be unbanned.

All I ask for is an apology from Jared, then. I don't want to be mean, but in all my time playing L4D2 I haven't encountered anything like this. Look, I am sure you are a great bunch of guys, but when I was kicked the first time and I asked why you said "cuz you're a stupid raggot". I don't take kindly to that.

I don't want to hold any ill will against any of you, including Jared, and based on what I understand, Gamers Coalition promotes mature, adult-like servers. I would also like to include that I did NOTHING to warrant a kick, I was literally on for five minutes at the start of the round and I was swiftly removed.

An apology from Jared, and possibly Mac and PDR would put a very good foot forward, and would have me on your guys' side, rather than against you. I hope if anything this teaches you the importance of a friendly attitude towards people new to your server. Saying "welcome to the server" does wonders over "you're obviously a noob, bye now."

And for the record, I have great skill at L4D2, too bad I wasn't given an opportunity to prove it.

GC Alumni
(edited)
(2) Out of context or not, swearing at someone and taunting them doesn't fly with me and won't with anyone else here. Even if this guy's the biggest douche on the Internet. You vote kicked once (twice?) so how hard is it to do it again

If there are people like this in the server and are constantly griefing and whatnot after being vkicked, its usually best to contact myself, Mookie, or post in the L4D2 forums about the person including the steam ID and date/time and we would look up the incident in the logs and deal accordingly.

(3) I can't speak for everyone else, but who votekicked who is not a big issue. Maybe this guy should've been kicked, maybe he shouldn't. Who am I to judge that, since I wasn't there and don't know what was going on at that time.

The unfortunate thing about how this game works it's vote kick system is that a griefer could take advantage of this as well and people who are unaware or are not paying attention would just press F1 to say yes to make the window go away and end up kicking an innocent guy. Things I've encountered with the vote system is that people mostly use it for bad rather than good in this game, but sometimes is the other way around. People love to be jerks in this game and this is when an Admin needs to be present (wish it were me).

(4) I don't think it needs to be published that everyone should be showing some respect and maturity. This is not a fundamentalist Christian server, or a children's server, but it is a server for mature adults. If you can't handle being at least indifferent to people you don't like, we don't want you here. People who can't control themselves are not fun for anyone to play with.

This is something I need to enforce on the server and get people to stop acting like idiots some of the time. Most of the time the server runs smooth as silk, but there are incidents like this where it can screw everyone's gaming experiences up and ruin it for everyone. Again, another thing I need to enforce when I get my stuff working.

I think what's above should more or less cover what's been posted here so far, and I would ask anyone to re-read #5 to understand why I've basically ignored most of the posts in this thread.

Jared, if you're able to play without calling people names and abandon jism-related names for yourself, you'll be unbanned.

This is another thing I'm going to enforce on the server which will lead to a kick if not complied to. As stated, we don't run a fundamentalist Christian server, or a childrens server, but a mature server for adults, and if the rules aren't being upheld by the users, action needs to be taken. We're a reputable community amongst it's members, and I admit I have been neglecting upholding the rules the community had based for all it's servers. Although a lot of these things seem rash as far as rules go, things will not change as far as people's gaming experiences go.

Like Mookie said, apologies go a long way to revoke most kinds of bans (except hacking). If people oblige to the rules, apologies are given, I think this whole thing could blow over and all of us could have fun on the server.

Edited by JackieChan

(edited)

I know I probably don't have much to say here but I would like to say this. For you guys who say you are regulars on the server and claim to know JC. You should already understand the policies of this community. The 2 admins that are responding to this post are some of the finest the GC has. I've played with both on and off the servers for the last 6 years and I can assure you they are top notch.

As Mookie said, we are all adults here, I think we can all play as adults. To be honest with you it would appear that some things have been loosened up on GC servers. Such as Tsunamis name for starters. A few years ago you wouldn't have been allowed on the servers with that name. Its all good though, whatever, things change. For chicken, remember this, there is always someone better so don't let your frustrations get the better of you. For the rest of you guys, how much do you guys pitch in to keep the server you so regularly visit, running smooth and helpful to others.

Edited by Primus

(edited)

For chicken: Like I said you shouldn't take it personally. I've played Left 4 Dead since the first one came out and people votekick for their friends...its just unfortunate the way valve made the game that its hard for friends to play together. You just kinda got screwed because you ended up getting in during a level-load, and you took someones spot because of it. This happens literally ALL THE TIME all day on the server (I play everyday.) and you just kinda entered the server at the wrong time.

None of us are donkey burrows I think you could ask anyone in the server who comes on regularly and they'll tell you we want the server populated and full of good players that know the mods and how to use them correctly.

I'm glad we can all be mature about it, I'll admit we love to joke around and might say things that are crude/perverted to some, but you gotta realize we don't mean anything by it... (you'd know if we did :D).

On a side note: Should probably have mods and their usage in the MOTD for new players...that would really help.

and to Primus:

To be honest with you it would appear that some things have been loosened up on GC servers. Such as Tsunamis name for starters.

I think part of the problem is that it seems that Jackie is the only L4D2 admin you guys have, and the fact that there is hardly ever any admins on gets people comfortable without knowing the rules. I've played there almost daily for the past couple months and I haven't ever seen an admin other than Jackie.

I'll be honest though the laid-back approach to the server is what got me loving it (that and Jackie is a good guy who was havin fun and jokin with us in the server first day we met, and the mods are much more balanced than other servers :D)

So while I support more policing the server for griefing and such. I generally don't enjoy playing in an "EGO"-mindset server. (I think we can all definitely understand if vulgar names/racism and such weren't allowed though :D)

And if you guys haven't noticed the server seems to be staying a LOT more populated in the past three or four days (and it hasn't been going down as much :D). So I hope you guys can find some other L4D2 admins to help keep the server active and friendly. (It's full as i'm typing this at like noon!)

Edited by LittleMac

Given the use of profanity that Valve put in their game, I feel that there can be a little headroom for swearing on the server as long as it's not directed to anyone in use of putting down people's name, skill, or in general.

That's my whole view on the profanity issue. This can blow over easily if everyone involved let's bygones be bygones.

(edited)

Given the use of profanity that Valve put in their game, I feel that there can be a little headroom for swearing on the server as long as it's not directed to anyone in use of putting down people's name, skill, or in general.

That's my whole view on the profanity issue. This can blow over easily if everyone involved let's bygones be bygones.

I agree, only thing is with "skill" there are some issues that people are gunna get kicked for. I've had to kick a lot of people for "skill-based" issues. Heck, even your server message says temp ban/kick for people that run ahead and don't help others. If theres no admin and the team has to vote-kick, majority vote is fair enough I think.

People do a lot of running ahead, going afk/lagging behind, rushing in with tanks without any regard to hp or survivor health status or anything (even when people on the team are trying to help them). And if these people are unresponsive to team communication the team will vote-kick them. Just the nature of the game...it can be very frustrating when you go save a guy only to get smoked right after and he runs away like a bot would or somethin lol.

You gotta give people a fair chance... but if they prove to be unresponsive/unreliable then they'll prolly get kicked

Edited by LittleMac

(edited)

If I was running ahead or being a griefer then SURE, kick me, for the love of god I hate people who do that. However, I had just gotten on the server, and at least you could have said "hey, can you go to the other team, we have a person who wants to play with us?" In which case, I would have been fine with that. Hell, I have left games because someone wanted to join and I didn't want to ruin the team's fun. In this case, I was kicked outright, and then laughed upon by people who have no idea of how skilled I am. But I have let bygones be bygones, and I will be on the server later.

And for those of you who DO play on their all the time, treat the newcomers with some respect, that is all I ask.

Edit - The only thing I don't like about the votekick system is people will just F1 regardless, so someone innocent could be kicked for no reason because of mob mentality.

Edited by turboflamingchicken

I don't play the game, so pardon my ignorance....but can this votekick and voteban nonsense be disabled server side somehow? These options have no place on a public server as far as I am concerned.

I certainly understand and respect that, but then I feel like things need to be more clear on the L4D server. Ever since I've played on this server, it's always been more of an "anything goes" kind of server, and that's what made it great to me, and all my friends. As well, as what probably keeps it populated as well, since we go out of our way to play there, even if it's empty just to repopulate it.

(5) Most bans we do are going to be permanent, especially ex post facto bans. That's a practical matter and not some kind of universal judgement. Temporary bans disappear when the server restarts every morning. Obviously, calling people names does not qualify anyone to be banned for life from anything. If we ban someone, they will either care enough to post/PM someone about it or they won't. If they do, and we can reach some kind of agreement like "stop cussing people out" or "don't flash your teammates on purpose any more," the ban will be removed. Otherwise if someone posts about how we're Nazis trying to restrict their freedom to insult people over the Internet all day generally they'll stay banned.

I'm totally cool with that. I just never saw any such list of rules mentioned on that particular server, nor have I ever witnessed anyone following any rules. There are plenty of profane names, sprays, and trash talk in ever single game I've played on this server. I personally love those freedoms, but if that's something that isn't allowed then I'll gladly do my best to keep things to myself and just play. (And if I ever see anything offensive, or any bad words, I'll gladly post here to help clean things up.)

Edited by JaredfromSUBWAY